It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Zoloft for GAD.. when does it kick in?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-26-2008, 06:54 AM   #16
    Kay1234
    (female)

Kay1234 HB User
    Re: Zoloft for GAD.. when does it kick in?

today is day 5.

i started with 50 mg then last night i moved up to 100mg.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-26-2008, 08:05 AM   #17
    louisa13
    (female)

louisa13 HB User

Hi, I'm in the same boat as you. I have GAD and I am on my third week of Zoloft. I was on paxil before for 5 years but I it pooped out. Anyways I start 50mg in two days. My anxiety comes and goes. I have good days and bad, hoping that these are just side effects and the 50mg will help

take care

Old 02-26-2008, 11:22 AM   #18
    amontillado1976
    (female)

amontillado1976 HB User

I have been in Zoloft now for 2 days I dont feel much different how long until I feel some glimmer of hope that it is working.

Old 02-26-2008, 11:57 AM   #19
    louisa13
    (female)

louisa13 HB User

Hi Kay, Like I said earlier third week on Zoloft. I am still at 25mg. I go up to 50mg later this week. I hope that you increased slowly because sometimes the side effects are a pain in the but. I was on paxil before so I kind of new about the side effects for the first month. What week are you on? It took a good month for my paxil to start working, so I am hoping that my Zoloft will work as well.

Let me know how you are doing

Old 02-26-2008, 12:10 PM   #20
    Kay1234
    (female)

Kay1234 HB User

im only on day 5! i started with 25 mg then moved up to 50 mg last night.

Old 02-26-2008, 01:25 PM   #21
    louisa13
    (female)

louisa13 HB User

thats probably why you feel lousy. I was on 25mgs for three weeks. On Thursday I go up to 50mgs. I noticed at the begining that I had high and lows throughout the day.

Just try to remind yourself these feelings are just side effects and they will go away.

Were you on anything prior to Zoloft?

Old 02-26-2008, 01:47 PM   #22
    j2006
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

j2006 HB User

Kay, to me you increased way too fast. Talk to your Dr about going back down to 50mg for a bit and see how you do. Then when you feel better you can increase.

Old 02-26-2008, 03:12 PM   #23
    louisa13
    (female)

louisa13 HB User

I have to agree with j2006, I think you should talk to your doctor about decreasing for a couple of weeks, and then you can go up. The side effects can be nasty so I believe its better to slowly increase the dosage

Old 02-27-2008, 06:03 PM   #24
    Boston George
    (male)

Boston George HB User

I have been on Zoloft now for 2 months and I thought I was doing better until the other day i got a really bad panic attack. I was going to go to the hospital it was so bad, I started getting all these bad thoughts in my head again. So my doc wants me to increase my Zoloft up to 150mg's..So I did yesterday and today and i feel so dizzy and weird, with a huge headache..I think I'd rather have the anxiety than feel like this..This is so tough to deal with.

Old 02-28-2008, 06:29 AM   #25
    Kay1234
    (female)

Kay1234 HB User

im so soory to hear that george. its probably ust because you have to get use to taking a larger dose. if you still feel bad though, maybe you should think about changing your meds?

todays day 9 on my meds. i feel so strange, like my body is wired but my brain is tired? haha. i can barely keep my eyes open! im going to my GP on monday to tell him whats going on, see what he thinks.

good luck & again thanks so much for everyone helping

Old 02-29-2008, 06:58 PM   #26
    joebloggs2
    Veteran
    (male)

joebloggs2 HB Userjoebloggs2 HB User

I'm beginning my 3rd week now. Here's an update:

Gastrointestinal problems have subsided. Maybe some constipation, but nothing like a week ago.

Appetite is nearly non-existent. Wellbutrin/Zoloft.. not a good combo if you want to gain weight. I forget to eat. Sometimes going on 1-2 meals a day.

Sex: Libido seems low, might be because my anxiety is worse. An erection and orgasm are still possible and feel better than normal, but an orgasm takes a long time, sometimes I get bored and do something else.

Anxiety is 10x worse. I am very introverted and feel like I did before I began taking wellbutrin (it helped with that a lot). I feel reluctant to talk/socialize, and find it very hard to smile. My smile looks obviously fake/fatigued - not a problem I had before taking Zoloft, except during severe depression years back.

Headaches, dizziness and teeth clenching are the same as last week. BAD. It feels like there's a knot in my head and I find myself popping aspirin/klonopin every other hour when I want to get work done.

I'm easily distracted by random thoughts, easily zone out, and can't seem to get my brain to behave/relax. Meditation is damn near impossible.

No cognitive problems except maybe some short term memory loss, but that's more likely due to the increased anxiety. Actually, some cognitive functions seem to have improved compared to my regular anxious self... math, chemistry, programming, etc, have become interesting and fun again, but they were more interesting and I was faster being just on Wellbutrin. It's great for depression/ADD and has very few side effects (for me). I love it and would probably take it even if I was 100% healthy (many people do).

Very restless! Even my friends noticed it. I keep shifting my position and moving my legs when sitting. Due to increased anxiety perhaps. This + the headaches are the worst symptoms as of now.

I feel worse as the day goes on. Mornings are great, afternoons are annoying, and evenings usually consist of me pacing back and forth with racing thoughts. I take Zoloft before bed, so I guess it wears off at night?

I feel like I'm lost. I missed a lot of things on my calender, have tons of work to get to, deadlines, etc.. but no idea where to begin. It seems overwhelming, because everything piled up from the past two weeks, since I wasn't able to accomplish much with all the side effects.

One interesting tidbit is that the past feels very far away. I.e., yesterday feels like it happened a week ago. Maybe short term memory isn't the only thing affected?

(Average weight and height, and taking 50mg/day Zoloft and 300mg/day Wellbutrin SR. This was my starting dose.)

Thanks for the replies George/Kay. Good luck to you.. argh, I was clenching my teeth while writing this post.

Old 03-01-2008, 10:23 AM   #27
    Kay1234
    (female)

Kay1234 HB User

joe,
    i feel the same way..im almost 2 weeks into zoloft/klonopin.

i feel like all of my friends think im being rude to them. i just never feel like talking. i've also had some pretty bad headaches.

you said you take klonopin..i do to. 5 mg every night. doesnt seem to be helping me, maybe the zoloft is "overpowering" it?

Old 03-02-2008, 01:22 AM   #28
    Boston George
    (male)

Boston George HB User

It's so disheartening to have to go through all of these things. Kay, my friends too think I am being rude and think that I am "making too much out of this". When one of my friends said that to me I was I snapped and just told him I would not wish this on my worst enemy,and that he had no clue what I was going through. I did force myself to go out tonight to see my friends new condo, but when everybody was going to a bar I made a excuse and came home. I'm now on 150mg of Zoloft and I take Ativan too. And Joe, I have the worst headaches too and I still feel anxious, I have a appt w my doc on Tuesday and I hope she she takes me off this, it doesnt seem to be working. I think right now Kay the side affects of your Zoloft as well as your anxiety are overpowering the Klonopin. Thats supposed to give you instant relief until the SSRI's kick in, if it's not it might mean you need more. Did you ask your doc about it. I am so tired of this controlling my life. I always feel like I have something terribly wrong w me and I have been to cardiologists, you name it and all tests have been normal. I feel cursed and I feel like why us? You know. Anyhow, I'll stop complaining ;-) I hope you all feel better soon.

Old 03-02-2008, 03:34 AM   #29
    j2006
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

j2006 HB User

Joe,

I would be anxious as well being on 2 medications that increase energy. I would think about going on another medication like celexa or one of the SSRI that make you tired - that way it would meet in the middle, potentially.

Last edited by ms_mod; 03-02-2008 at 07:55 AM. Reason: Removed unnecessary quote. Ms_Mod

Old 03-06-2008, 07:25 PM   #30
    joebloggs2
    Veteran
    (male)

joebloggs2 HB Userjoebloggs2 HB User

Kay: The increased anxiety from Zoloft could be overpowering the Klonopin. .5mg is a low dose, but in my experience, Klonopin alone is not as effective as Xanax. I recommend changing to that (or Xanax XR) or Ativan as soon as you can. For now, maybe you can ask your doc if you can increase your dose of Klonopin (2-3 pills instead of 1, for example - but ask doc first).

I have chronic fatigue, and this is actually the reason I chose to get medication. Fatigue doesn't sound like a big deal but I couldn't stay up in class, nor while driving. Actually, a better way to put it was that I could stay up, but I was brain dead, spending 100% of my little energy to keep my eyes open. Had to dissolve sugar/caffeine under my tongue every 30 mins.

But, it wasn't a physical problem and all docs said it's probably depression/anxiety.

I take Wellbutrin for fatigue, not anxiety. Zoloft makes me tired so I take that at night. Klonopin (alone) worked for my anxiety the first few times, but then stopped unless I took high doses - but I doubt I had a tolerance because I only took it 2-3 times days apart before it stopped working.

I stopped taking it and that's when I was put on Zoloft.

UPDATE: I just finished week 3 on Zoloft (50mg/day few hours before bed):

Most side effects seem to have subsided.

Headaches aren't so bad, or maybe I'm just used to them now. I don't need Aspirin anymore.

GI problems are nearly all gone, provided I take Zoloft with a meal. It's HELL if I don't take it with a meal.

Sex is better than when I'm sober. Much better, actually.

I find it very hard to write. I can't pick out certain words.. can't add creativity to my work? Not sure how to explain it; it feels like a big mental block. But as before, it could be due to the anxiety.

I'm not sure if anxiety level has gone down or up. I want to say it has gone down but for some reason I doubt that? I think I just don't notice it so much anymore because the people around me have gotten used to me being quiet. I find it very hard to hold a smile or pay attention though, and this is what makes me think the anxiety is worse.

But 'worse' doesn't explain it. The anxiety is 'different' - last week I stated that my perception of time changed, and this is more pronounced this week.

Before the medication, hours and days passed by very quickly. I looked at the calender and wondered "It's the 21st?!? It was the 10th a few days ago!"

On Zoloft, time has slowed down considerably.

Events that have passed seem very distant.. yesterday feels like a month ago, and I don't think much about the future. I'm more 'here now' - that's why I say the anxiety is different. My anxiety used to be about the past/future, but now I obsess over present moment things, and it seems out of my control.

I'm very restless. This is worse than last week.. I can't sit still.

Dreams are vivid and strange. They're very entertaining!

Every dream is a combination of the days events but jumbled up with things I've experienced decades ago, and lasts for long. I can "see" details very well - faces, places, etc. I also resume my dreams if I happen to wake up at night. Sometimes in the morning I'll force myself to go back to sleep to see what happens next (in the dream).

This will pass, as I've taken Zoloft for about a month years ago and this effect passed after a few weeks, and then came back for a few days during withdrawal.

I don't know if the insomnia is worse or not. I take Ambien everyday so if it's worse, it could be due to dependence.

My restlessness is driving me nuts. It's so bad people notice it and wonder why I keep moving my legs, but the past few days I've been becoming more talkative, so things are getting better.

Closed Thread