It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board

• 13 month old doesn't eat.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-03-2008, 01:20 PM   #1
    ament
    Veteran
    (female)

ament HB User
    13 month old doesn't eat.

My daughter is 13 months, less than 19 lbs. and has slimmed down since her 9 month appointment. She hates to eat. She screams when I try to set her in her high chair and turns her nose at almost everything I feed her. It doesn't seem that she is eating nearly enough and I am so stressed from trying to get her to eat. She still nurses frequently.
    This is an example of what she's been eating:

2/3 jar Gerber seconds for breakfast
    1/2 container yogurt and 2/3 jar Gerber seconds for lunch (sometimes she will eat a few pasta pickups)
    1/2 container pasta pickups for dinner.
    Snacks in between of goldfish, gerber puffs, and apples

I know it doesn't seem like she's eating variety of things but this is ALL I can even get her to eat.

She doesn't eat cereal at all. I've tried toast, pancakes. She hates grains. She rarelly eats what we are eating. Sometimes she'll eat a little chicken or pizza but that is it. I've been trying to get her to eat vegetables, but she refuses.

Do you think it's because I'm nursing so much? Should I cut down on the nursing (I'm needing to wean her anyways). I just don't know what to do.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-03-2008, 02:14 PM   #2
    Tiff24
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Tiff24 HB User
    Re: 13 month old doesn't eat.

My son is 13 months also and we have a similar problem, although he's 25lbs. We started him on all table food about 9 months and he would eat anything. It was great! He ate anything and everything that we were eating. Then he turned 11 months. We have a heck of a time getting him to eat new things. He refuses! I stressed about it a lot but then realized he's not to the age where I can say "eat it" and he'll eat. He only eats chicken strips and turkey franks for lunch and dinner. I feel like a horrible mom but that's ALL I can him to eat for meals. He eats LOTS of fruit, cheese, yogurt, and goldfish crackers. I talked to his dr about this at his 1 year check up and she said to just make sure he gets fruits, veggies, and protein (from yogurt and cheese because he won't eat meat). Just make sure what your daughter DOES eat that it's healthy. LOL! (as I feed my son hotdogs!) Try to give less snacks so that she is actually hungry at meals so that she gets into the habit of eating for lunch and dinner. She'll eat if she's hungry.

Old 03-03-2008, 03:55 PM   #3
    AlexaIn2006
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

AlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB User

I only feed my daughter milk and fruit-usually tropical fruit because that is what she preferred. She only had some teeth and I was worried about her choking, so I didn't feel her much table food or snacks. Once she turned one, it was a gradual, but we transitioned to table foods. She never did like any baby foods other than fruit. Don't stress it, it will work out.

Old 03-04-2008, 09:55 AM   #4
    mcr285
    Inactive
    (female)

mcr285 HB Usermcr285 HB User

i posted a more detailed response on the children's healthboard about picky eaters.... it was a thread called, "Refusing to eat a balanced diet."

i really believe it's because i will not allow picky eating that my kids will pretty much eat whatever is put in front of them. i don't make them eat everything off their plates and i do let them dictate when they've had enough (as long as it seems reasonable), but i do make them try a bite of everything. yes, it does take a bit of an effort at first, and yes they will fight you on it at first, but be consistent. 99.9% of the time, my children realize that this weird looking concoction they're being forced to eat really actually tastes pretty good! it was definitely worth a couple of battles in the beginning, to have my kids' nutrition being one less thing to have to worry about!

Old 03-04-2008, 01:22 PM   #5
    Tiff24
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Tiff24 HB User

Mcr285- at what age did your girls understand that they had to taste what you gave them? I make my son try new things... hold his hands down and "force" a bite into his mouth... and he just spits it right out. He does this with EVERYTHING.

Old 03-04-2008, 06:34 PM   #6
    mcr285
    Inactive
    (female)

oh fun. your son sounds like my second little girl! she is two now and she is the feistiest, most willful child you will ever meet! i think she was somewhere between 15-18 months before she really understood the concept, but we started right around where you are at, around 13 months.

just keep trying and be consistent. it really stinks at first and you really do sit there and think, "geez, is it really worth it???" when they are screaming their head off and you have food in your hair from them spitting it out.... but if the end result is that your child will learn to appreciate healthy eating, then of course it's worth it!

just don't try to give him new things at every single meal or you'll just burn out. you know what he likes and it sounds like he's getting a good enough variety in his diet. i'd offer new things maybe once or twice a week.

the other thing i always do is keep offering a food even if they hated it last time we had it. i used the example of scrambled eggs on the children's board. both my girls just hated scrambled eggs the first several times they had them. now, because i kept giving them scrambled eggs, they love them!

the other thing i started doing with my second was i held the spoon in her mouth as long as i could so that she couldn't spit the food out right away, and would hopefully actually get a taste of the food first. i think that's when she really started to get the idea that i wasn't just out to torture her!

a lot of parents don't think it's worth the effort, but i really believe that my kids aren't picky eaters now because of the early battles we had to fight!

Old 03-04-2008, 07:36 PM   #7
    Tiff24
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Tiff24 HB User

Ament, I'm sorry I posted a question on your board.

Mcr285, I will definitely be trying your advice. I don't want to have a picky eater. My sisters boys won't try anything new (especially meat) unless she tells them that it's chicken! lol! I don't want to lie to my child to get him to eat new things. That's funny that you mentioned scrambled eggs because my son hates those. I think I'll make some for breakfast tomorrow and see if I can get him to eat some. Thanks!

Old 03-04-2008, 07:49 PM   #8
    mcr285
    Inactive
    (female)

i have a cousin who literally ate nothing but oreos and bacon for breakfast for about two years..... now she is in her late 30's, has zero self confidence, and has battled a weight problem her entire life too, because she can't stand the thought of eating healthy food! it's been good motivation for me to teach my kids to appreciate a good healthy diet!!! good luck!

Last edited by mcr285; 03-04-2008 at 07:50 PM.

Old 03-07-2008, 05:52 AM   #9
    ament
    Veteran
    (female)

ament HB User

[QUOTE=Tiff24;3471675]Ament, I'm sorry I posted a question on your board. QUOTE]

You better be.

Just kidding.

Well, I've gotten her to eat Cheerios for breakfast the past coupla days (although daddy doesn't like that) so she's actually eaten breakfast. That's an improvement.

Old 03-07-2008, 08:23 AM   #10
    mcr285
    Inactive
    (female)

what's wrong with cheerios??? it's the breakfast of champions! oh wait, that's wheaties......

seriously though, what's wrong with cheerios? it's probably the healthiest, most kid friendly cereal out there! or is her dad one of those, "it has to be a hot breakfast or it doesn't count!" types? mine was like that until i told him there wasn't a chance in heck i'd be getting up and cooking hot breakfasts everyday, but he was welcome to it! he of course decided he didn't want to do it either, so we compromised and he cooks hot breakfasts on saturday mornings and the rest of the week, the kids get whatever i feel like making.... we have cereal a lot!

Closed Thread