It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board

• Statins cause alarming reduction in coQ10?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-06-2008, 04:23 PM   #16
    Pat007
    (female)

Pat007 HB User
    Re: Statins cause alarming reduction in coQ10?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Connie122516 View Post
    The rate of muscle aches and pains with statins is about 5%. The rate of muscle aches and pains with placebo is also 5%.

In my opinion, the effectiveness of statins has been more than adequately proven, particularly in people who are at high risk of (or already have) heart disease.

That said, I would never take a statin without also taking CoQ10.
    My husband took CoQ10 along with his Lipitor 20 but still experienced severe muscle discomfort in less then 8 months after starting the statin, he is at risk.
    If you are in the 5% that exhibit muscle sorness and pain and at risk then, other options must be considered.
    IMO.... I'm not sure that the effectivenss really has been proven in statins.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-06-2008, 07:53 PM   #17
    HubbleRules
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

HubbleRules HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by GBug View Post
    I know who I'm not going back to anymore. He told me before he checked my CPK levels that if there was muscle damage, he would put me on a different statin. It was/is my understanding that if one statin is causing muscle problems, all statins would have the same effect.
    GBug,

Actually, you may do better on a different statin - they're not all the same.

I'd be a little leary of your doctor also - some are so into the 'group think' of the medical profession that they've lost the ability to reason independently. And as far as his advice that you'd have problems with your muscles all over your body if it was the statin, that is not so. Statins seem to mostly affect the long skeletal muscles (arms, legs), but they can certainly cause problems elsewhere.

I had serious muscle problems after 7 1/2 years on Lipitor (after my doctor combined it with Tricor), and I gave up all cholesterol meds cold turkey. For me my arms were the problem (they ached, and became extremely weak) - I also had much less stamina and became exercise intolerant. I didn't have muscle aches anywhere else. It took over a year and a half to recover fully - now I'm back to normal - including jogging. But, my numbers shot up to unacceptable levels, and I reluctantly went back on a lower dose of Lipitor about a year ago, but I also take 75mg CoQ10 daily. So far no repeat problems..

The brand I use is called Q-Sorb.

There is another one out there called Q-Gel which is supposed to have better absorption, but it's awfully expensive.

Good luck...

HubbleRules

Old 03-07-2008, 12:11 AM   #18
    namelessme
    Veteran
    (male)

namelessme HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by GBug View Post
    Connie-- Thanks for the information. My doctors (internal medicine and cardiologist) never once mentioned CoQ10. I learned about it on this website. From everything I'd read here, and elsewhere on the Internet, one should take coQ10 when taking a statin.

Next question, how do you know you're buying the right supplement when you purchase CoQ10? There are so many brands out there. What do you look for when you purchase it? I want to make sure I'm getting the best product I can find.
    Look for a brand that uses Kaneka CoQ10, which is probably the most common type used by manufacturers. They'll put a little symbol on the bottle, if they use CoQ10 from Kaneka.

Jarrow is a considered a reputable company so you can try theirs, but so long as it's a brand you have heard of, it's probably okay. I'd suggest avoiding the super cheapo manufacturers nobody has ever heard of before.

If you get it in dry form (capsules), make sure to take it after consuming fats. Gels with some oil may be absorbed better.

And a newer form of CoQ10 is out called Ubiquinol. It's supposedly much more bioavailable than regular CoQ10, but unless you have a serious heart problem, or normal CoQ10 isn't working for you, it may not be warranted.

Old 03-10-2008, 11:12 AM   #19
    GBug
    (female)

GBug HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by HubbleRules View Post
    GBug,

Actually, you may do better on a different statin - they're not all the same.

I'd be a little leary of your doctor also - some are so into the 'group think' of the medical profession that they've lost the ability to reason independently. And as far as his advice that you'd have problems with your muscles all over your body if it was the statin, that is not so. Statins seem to mostly affect the long skeletal muscles (arms, legs), but they can certainly cause problems elsewhere.

I had serious muscle problems after 7 1/2 years on Lipitor (after my doctor combined it with Tricor), and I gave up all cholesterol meds cold turkey. For me my arms were the problem (they ached, and became extremely weak) - I also had much less stamina and became exercise intolerant. I didn't have muscle aches anywhere else. It took over a year and a half to recover fully - now I'm back to normal - including jogging. But, my numbers shot up to unacceptable levels, and I reluctantly went back on a lower dose of Lipitor about a year ago, but I also take 75mg CoQ10 daily. So far no repeat problems..

The brand I use is called Q-Sorb.

There is another one out there called Q-Gel which is supposed to have better absorption, but it's awfully expensive.

Good luck...

HubbleRules
    Hubblerules--
    Glad to hear that you recovered from your muscle problems. That is very encouraging. I was having weakness and pain in one arm and both hips. My arm is back to normal and I notice that my hips are getting better with each passing week.

I will check on the brands that you recommended. I will probably stay off the Lipitor a couple of more months, then resume the 20mg of Lipitor with a coQ10 supplement once I am confident that my muscles are back to normal. I plan to change physicians as well since I have begun to question some of the things my internist tells me. I suppose it is time when you do not trust what they tell you. He seems very preoccupied with other things when I go for an appointment anyway.

Thanks again for the information!!

Old 03-10-2008, 11:15 AM   #20
    GBug
    (female)

GBug HB User

If I start having muscle weakness and pain again after adding a coQ10 supplement with the Lipitor, I'll see if my cardiologist will prescribe another statin in place of the Lipitor.

Old 03-10-2008, 11:16 AM   #21
    GBug
    (female)

GBug HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by namelessme View Post
    Look for a brand that uses Kaneka CoQ10, which is probably the most common type used by manufacturers. They'll put a little symbol on the bottle, if they use CoQ10 from Kaneka.

Jarrow is a considered a reputable company so you can try theirs, but so long as it's a brand you have heard of, it's probably okay. I'd suggest avoiding the super cheapo manufacturers nobody has ever heard of before.

If you get it in dry form (capsules), make sure to take it after consuming fats. Gels with some oil may be absorbed better.

And a newer form of CoQ10 is out called Ubiquinol. It's supposedly much more bioavailable than regular CoQ10, but unless you have a serious heart problem, or normal CoQ10 isn't working for you, it may not be warranted.
    Namelessme--

I certainly appreciate those recommendations. Best wishes!

Old 03-10-2008, 04:45 PM   #22
    ainfante
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User

Oh My! I have this soreness all over my body since starting Crestor! I mean I get pain everywhere. And the hips too, so even though I have an injury to my back from a car accident years ago, I have not had this kind of pain since starting Crestor. I was on Lipitor too and when they booted me up to 20 mg. I had pain! I also take CQ10, 120 mg. and it's not helping at all!

Old 03-11-2008, 12:31 PM   #23
    GBug
    (female)

GBug HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ainfante View Post
    Oh My! I have this soreness all over my body since starting Crestor! I mean I get pain everywhere. And the hips too, so even though I have an injury to my back from a car accident years ago, I have not had this kind of pain since starting Crestor. I was on Lipitor too and when they booted me up to 20 mg. I had pain! I also take CQ10, 120 mg. and it's not helping at all!
    Ainfante-- How long were you on Lipitor? Crestor? and how long have you been having pain?

Old 03-15-2008, 08:08 AM   #24
    Luv2Travel
    (female)

Luv2Travel HB User

I was on Pravachol for three years and complained of muscle weakness and aches (especially in my upper legs) to my family doc. He never mentioned it could be from the Pravachol. I also tore a muscle just running around and playing with my dog, and the muscle kept re-tearing and took months to heal. Again, doc just blew that off. I also had two spots with sore tendons; one behind my knee and one in the inside of my elbow. You guessed it, doc blew that off, too. After reading these posts, I feel the Pravachol had something to do with these problems. I have been off the Pravachol for 2 months and I don't have as many problems as I did before. I am hypothyroid which also causes muscle aches and pains, so that can be contributing, too. However, I don't think I'll ever go back on a statin drug. It was scary having a muscle tear just from doing a little running around the house!

Last week I was in a reputable health food store talking to one of their staff members. She explained to me that statins cause the bad stuff to be removed while going through the liver, but that it also takes out the COQ10 which is good for you. At her recommendation, I am taking a COQ10 supplement. I need to do more research on COQ10, but thought I'd chime in hear with my experience.

Old 03-17-2008, 07:12 AM   #25
    GBug
    (female)

GBug HB User

Luv2Travel

Thanks for posting your experiences. I think many people are having the same experiences we have posted here but they just haven't considered the statin connection yet. I did purchase some coQ10 and am waiting to hear from my cardiologist about my options. I'm willing to take a lesser dose (10mg), along with coq10, to see if it will lower my cholesterol to desired levels and keep my muscles in good shape.

Stay in touch!

Last edited by GBug; 03-17-2008 at 03:16 PM. Reason: mistake

Old 04-06-2008, 10:04 AM   #26
    tc99
    (female)

tc99 HB User

I have been reading all morning about statins and muscle pain. My knees and legs have been aching and painful for the past few months. My dr. took me off Lipitor, and told me to go on it again after the pain had passed. I worked hard, dieted (lost 10 pounds), exercised, and the pain was better. I went back onto the Lipitor (duh!), and the pain returned immediately. After reading, I am convinced that I need to get CoQ10. I have read your thread, and was interested in doses, etc. One huge question. Where do you find the CoQ10? Help!

The following user gives a hug of support to tc99:
    Glen1944 (01-31-2012)
    The Following User Says Thank You to tc99 For This Useful Post:
    Glen1944 (01-31-2012)
    Old 04-06-2008, 10:23 AM   #27
    namelessme
    Veteran
    (male)

namelessme HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tc99 View Post
    I have been reading all morning about statins and muscle pain. My knees and legs have been aching and painful for the past few months. My dr. took me off Lipitor, and told me to go on it again after the pain had passed. I worked hard, dieted (lost 10 pounds), exercised, and the pain was better. I went back onto the Lipitor (duh!), and the pain returned immediately. After reading, I am convinced that I need to get CoQ10. I have read your thread, and was interested in doses, etc. One huge question. Where do you find the CoQ10? Help!
    Any vitamin shoppe or health food store should sell CoQ10. Most pharmacies do too, but their prices tend to be a rip-off. Look for a brand that uses Kaneka CoQ10, and if taking it as a dry capsule, consume it with fats. If in a softgel, it'll have fats already in there.

Old 04-11-2008, 12:35 PM   #28
    GBug
    (female)

GBug HB User

Update: I began taking a lower dose of Lipitor (10mg) and adding 100mg of coQ10 per day after discussing my muscle problems with my cardiologist. After a couple of months, I'll have my cholesterol rechecked. It appears that all my previous muscle problems have disappeared and I actually feel normal again. I'm back to resistance training and cardio workouts. I've had NO PROBLEMS with my muscles since I got off the 20 mg and began taking 10 mg. I'm CONVINCED that the 20mg of Lipitor, when "mixed" with exercise, was causing all of my injuries and soreness. I'll update here if anything changes. Will post cholesterol update in about 6 weeks as well.

Closed Thread