It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addison's Disease Message Board

• Adrenal Fatigue??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-02-2008, 06:32 PM   #76
    ionaone
    Inactive
    (female)

ionaone HB User
    Re: Adrenal Fatigue??

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DIAL View Post
    Well, I looked up Fibromyalgia, and It describes me right down to a "T" everything listed I have. I don't have muscle aches often, but thats is not always present, just common. As far as them not knowing whats wrong with me, thats nothing new. They do want to throw a bunch of drugs at me, I dont want to take them though. Fibromyalgia has many things linked with it as symptoms like hormone disorders, adrenal disorders, etc. I fit the bill pretty well. Either way I may have it, but they admit they don't know whats wrong or how to treat me very well. This is one big nightmare I cant wake up from. I cant even work. I guess the only good thing with this diagnosis would be medical coverage,and disability granted to me. Since they don't know what's wrong with me, and they don't know what causes fibromyalgia, I guess it may as well be this I am diagnosed with rather than "it's all in your head"
    I'm really sorry things are so bad for you right now. I know how it is to have chronic illness and it is frustrating beyond belief. I don't know enough about disability to know if this diagnosis will help you in that regard, but I hope it does. I would suggest keeping detailed records of all your visits/test results/symptoms. There is definitely something underlying your "Fibromyalgia" and I hope you can figure out what it is. Based on every symptom you've posted I find it hard to believe any Dr could say it's "all in your head". My concern for you is that they will try to give you various drugs to make you feel better - this could be antidepressants, benzos (valium, etc), pain meds, muscle relaxers, etc. Be aware all of the above may help you feel better, but they usually don't work forever, and there is a price to be paid down the road if you ever want to try to come off them - trust me I've been there. Also, if they make you feel better, you may be able to ignore the real underlying problem and whatever that may be could get worse (say, hormone imbalance). I really hope you can get another opinion & medical coverage/disability.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-02-2008, 11:53 PM   #77
    hishanana
    (female)

hishanana HB User

Hi there!
    I have had back pain in the flank/mid back regions for years! I always thought it was muscular/skeletal...I could release some tension if I had someone LIFT me by giving a bear hug (by keeping my arms down and having someone strong wrap their arms around my upper arm/shoulder area in a big bear hug and actually lift me off the ground giving me a few shakes)...then I would hear several pops and feel some relief but it was always short lived...an hour or day. I invested in an inversion type piece of equipment so that I could relieve the pressure by hanging upside down. It really doesn't seem to help this area of my back...beneficial for any lower back discomfort that I may be having but not the mid back region. Common sense tells me to see a doctor but I hate going and feeling like I am being blown off. So many times I have seen doctors for different conditions and I feel they do the minimal testing (to cover their behinds) and then they give you meds to treat the symptoms and send you on your way. I know they are busy but I want to get to the bottom of the problems not just cover it up. It takes a lot to get me to go to the doctor so when I do go I want to be taken seriously. I have had negative experiences in the past so I have been dragging my feet with this particular problem. I've also noticed flare-ups whenever I carry something heavy like lifting my nephew etc. I thought my bed may also be a problem as it isn't firm but I am beginning to think I have something more serious going on.

I was reading some of the posts regarding kidney and adrenal or pituitary problems and found them very interesting. Similar symptoms so I think I will get it checked out. I have a wide variety of symptoms that seem to be getting progressively worse. The other important point is that these symptoms bother my siblings as well, so maybe familial. My biggest complaints are (1)back pain that changes in character...sometimes dull and achy other time warm and throbbing and on occassion a little tingly.(2) Extreme exhaustion and tiredness causing an inability to function fully. I sleep and sleep and sleep and still feel completely wiped out! I feel like Rip Van Winkle... Other symptoms include achyness, tremors/shakiness, anxiety, heart palpitations and pounding, severe sweaty palms and feet, foggy thinking and dizzy spells. I am feeling it may be hormonal or adrenal fatigue...but have had a history of uti's, proteinuria and at one time kidney stones so I will have that followed up as well.

My concern is that I have been taking medications that have helped with a few of my symptoms but in turn has now caused other problems like high blood pressure and (excacerbated the sympathetic nervous system symptoms that I have had since puberty)...it is hard to know what is really going on? I recently had a full cardiac workup because of my family history...Father died at 58, Brother had heart attack at 42 and other family members had strokes, hypertension and cholesterol issues (large sized HDL). As mentioned earlier, the medication I am taking caused my blood pressure to sky rocket to 200/106...led to headaches and other cardiac symptoms...Now on blood pressure meds. My cardiologist was very proactive which I found refreshing....but with my family history he had reason to be.

Now, when I go to see an endocrinologist etc., I am afraid they are going to poo poo my issues or chock it up to a common reply I have seen in these posts when they are dumb founded...psychiatric problem or fibromyalgia. Others have posted "how unhelpful their endos have been"! What some of the doctors said to these patients is unconscionable...I want someone who will search and research to find some answers...Does any body know of a good endocrinologist in Southern California?...I am willing to travel a bit, so that I don't have to explain my history and physical over and over to several different doctors that aren't focused on helping to solve the mystery but instead get agitated because they cannot quickly figure out what's wrong and aren't willing to dig a little or ask their colleagues for their opinions

I appreciate any helpful information you may have including the name of a good endocrinologist and nephrologist !! Thanks a million and blessings to you!

Old 02-03-2008, 05:35 AM   #78
    ionaone
    Inactive
    (female)

ionaone HB User

I do not know anyone in your area but I have some suggestions of where to look:

Contact the Broda Barnes foundation. They are a non-profit research foundation dedicated to thyroid/endocrine issues. You will need to request a directory from them, it is a few dollars.

Also, look up a Naturopath registered with the AANP. If you find any near you (there are 127 listed in CA), then call them and ask them about their expertise in endocrine problems. Some have more than others.

Another option, you can also find a traditional endo by searching The Hormone Foundation website. It lists each Dr and their area of expertise (thyroid, adrenal, etc).

One last place to look is the >>>removed>>>>

I hope this helps.

Good luck.

Last edited by moderator2; 03-07-2008 at 06:56 PM. Reason: Please do not post websites except as described in the posting policy section titled "How to share information".

Old 02-24-2008, 11:27 PM   #79
    DIAL
    (male)

DIAL HB User

Any one ever try Hormone replacement therapy? I am considering this as an option, but have heard mixed opinions, if any one has, how did it make you feel?

Old 02-25-2008, 05:01 PM   #80
    cloud2
    (male)

cloud2 HB User

Hi Nick. Yes, I'm taking about 6 hormones, some at pretty high levels, and labs show little or no improvement. Although I believe it's allowed me to keep a job, it's a desk job and I've continued to decline, but not at as fast a rate. Having a particularly bad month right now. I wish I could give you better news re. my experience, but want to help set your expectations appropriately as well. But who knows... we likely have different root cause, so could easily have different results.

--Ralph

Old 02-28-2008, 01:30 AM   #81
    DIAL
    (male)

DIAL HB User

thanks ralph

Old 03-07-2008, 06:42 PM   #82
    hishanana
    (female)

hishanana HB User

Hello Ianaone!
    Sorry for the delay in responding! I have had unending computer problems and have been unable to Thank You for your kind and helpful reply!! I really appreciate your suggestions and am working toward getting an appropriate diagnosis...It sure helps to have suggestions made by others who understand the pain and frustration in narrowing down the right providers.

Old 03-07-2008, 06:53 PM   #83
    ionaone
    Inactive
    (female)

ionaone HB User

You're welcome, I understand how frustrating it is. I hope you find a doctor that can help. Anyways, I hope you are able to find something thru the other suggestions. Best of luck.

Last edited by moderator2; 03-07-2008 at 06:56 PM.

Old 03-07-2008, 09:01 PM   #84
    DIAL
    (male)

DIAL HB User

Any one ever experience this? I have been getting EXTREMELY winded when I try to do anything physical. Light headed as well. I can even hear my heart beating in my hears loudly. I have never had this until my health problems came. I cant even have sex sometimes, cause its too hard! I'm only 25, I should be doing jumping jax out of bed right now. None of my health problems, showed up until I was Tasered on the Force during training. Then My health gradually declined until now. Some Docs have commented that the Taser could very well be the cause of my problems. They say it may have effected my central nervous system some how, and may be the reason my adrenal glands aren't functioning right. It is 50,000 volts. After all people are dying from this "harmless" device. Any ideas or similar symptoms?

Old 03-19-2008, 12:18 PM   #85
    rfish1966
    (male)

rfish1966 HB User

Here is my 2 cents for what it's worth. That low of testosterone can wreck your body alone, mentally, physically, emotionally. If your worried about preserving your own production use a injection called hcg, it will do the trick as long as you are on testosterone. I am still in bad shape but the testosterone has made a huge improvement in my life, I do have low cortisol and am working on getting that resolved but by all means if you need testosterone get it, it's cheap and effective. I use a split dose and inject twice a week. Just to warn you the gels do work for some but they are expensive. They did not work for me at all and injections are much easier than smearng the gel all over.

Old 03-21-2008, 01:27 PM   #86
    DIAL
    (male)

DIAL HB User

I tred the gel, it made me feel sick. Mt T was at 199, would you say this is low?

Old 03-21-2008, 02:46 PM   #87
    rfish1966
    (male)

rfish1966 HB User
    Wink Re: Adrenal Fatigue??

The gel is bad news for most, is converts into estrogen much easier. So far the shots are much better and I love not having my nipples hurt.

Old 03-21-2008, 02:48 PM   #88
    rfish1966
    (male)

rfish1966 HB User

199 is very low by the way, my first test was at 265 and I felt like hell. at 119 I barely got out of bed and my wife wanted to stay in a hotel I was so mean and apathetic. my uncle is in his 60's and his is normally near 700 as an example. sorry, I keep editing my response, I would say shoot for the top of the range or whatever makes you feel better. For me it lifted medication resistant depression right away.

Last edited by rfish1966; 03-21-2008 at 03:00 PM.

Old 03-30-2008, 01:59 AM   #89
    DIAL
    (male)

DIAL HB User

I had a DR at the Mayo tell me my T was fine because my "free" T was ok, where as my "total" was low at 199. My Endo said that was BS. Stll, I dont know what to do, The gel made me sooooo sick I am worried about shooting up T shots and not feeling well. At that point I would be screwed, and would have to ride it out.

Closed Thread