It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addison's Disease Message Board

• Should AM Cortisol Level be a lot higher than PM level?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-29-2007, 09:52 AM   #16
    ticker
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User
    Re: Should AM Cortisol Level be a lot higher than PM level?

Hi Kim. I am glad you enjoyed Christmas! It is great you see improvement over the past ones. Even slow improvement is better than no improvement right?

Have your blood sugar levels been normal? If they are normal and you have no symptoms, I don't know why your doctor would want the testing done. I suggest asking him/her.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-26-2008, 02:46 PM   #17
    ticker
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hi everyone. Finally, the results are in: severe adrenal fatigue and low DHEA, low estradiol, low progesterone, low testosterone, and a very low ratio of estradiol to progesterone. I knew things were wrong, but I am amazed at what a mess I am!

I have a lot to learn. Does anyone else have low hormone levels?

I have a very complicated protocol to follow. I will do whatever it takes.

To those who are looking for an answer, never, ever give up. You know you better than anyone. If you cannot get help when you know something is wrong, see another doctor, and another until you find one. I know it is frustrating and you should not have to go through so much to get the help you need, but it is worth it to get one who can help you.

Old 02-02-2008, 07:51 AM   #18
    ticker
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hi Kim. I am sorry you have horrible fatigue. I know it stinks!

My doctor did not prescribe Cortef. He prescribed Wilson's protocol for severe adrenal fatigue. It is three different supplements taken several times a day. I have done very limited research at this point, but from what I have read people feel these supplements work. Supposedly this strengthens the adrenals. My doctor is also addressing the hormone deficiencies. The protocol I am following is quite complicated, but I will do whatever it takes.

I just got Wilson's book and will be reading it soon. I have always eaten very healthy and exercised throughout all of this (not always easy!). I am anemic also and take iron. The doctor prescribed a protein powder for me to take twice a day. I don't know if he did this because of the anemia.

What kind of doctor are you seeing for the adrenal issue or is your Lyme doctor treating you for it?

Old 03-05-2008, 11:06 AM   #19
    michelles13
    (female)

michelles13 HB User

hi i am new to this board,
    please could any one tell me if a 9am cortisol level of 266(lab range 190-720nmol/L) would be classed as low. my gp says its normal so isn,t botherd about the fact i have pa i am on monthly jabs but dont feel significantly any better, and am hypothyroid and am on thyroxine.i must admit i dont feel too confident in my gp has thers has been a bit of lack of knowledge and i got told my b12 level of 325 after loading doses was normal .but my consultant put me on to monthly jabs after i tested positive to parietal cell antibodies.i have asked to see an endo and have got an apt on 28th march.i so need to get sorted i am sick of being tired out (forgot to say i am on 3 iron tabs a day for the last 8month as my ferritin was 6.5)i have a large family and dont have the energy i need,our youngest is 1 and has had ill health and we have a little girl whos 5 who has downs syndrome,and another 9 children beside .(not all living at home,they range from 1-27yrs)so you can see i need to get myself well.sorry to moan on ,but i would value your opinions.

many thanks..

michelles 13

Last edited by michelles13; 03-05-2008 at 11:19 AM. Reason: error sent twice

Old 03-05-2008, 11:17 AM   #20
    michelles13
    (female)

michelles13 HB User

hi i am new to this board,
    please could any one tell me if a 9am cortisol level of 266(lab range 190-720nmol/L) would be classed as low. my gp says its normal so isn,t botherd about the fact i have pa i am on monthly jabs but dont feel significantly any better, and am hypothyroid and am on thyroxine.i must admit i dont feel too confident in my gp has thers has been a bit of lack of knowledge and i got told my b12 level of 325 after loading doses was normal .but my consultant put me on to monthly jabs after i tested positive to parietal cell antibodies.i have asked to see an endo and have got an apt on 28th march.i so need to get sorted i am sick of being tired out (forgot to say i am on 3 iron tabs a day for the last 8month as my ferritin was 6.5)i have a large family and dont have the energy i need,our youngest is 1 and has had ill health and we have a little girl whos 5 who has downs syndrome,and another 9 children beside .(not all living at home,they range from 1-27yrs)so you can see i need to get myself well.sorry to moan on ,but i would value your opinions.

many thanks..

michelles 13

Old 03-06-2008, 06:43 AM   #21
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

What are your thyroid levels? FT3 and Ft4? You may not be optimized there.. many do not get optimized. Have you been tested for Hashimoto's? It is worth always gettign a copy of your labs. What dose of LevoT are you on?

MG

Old 03-06-2008, 10:32 AM   #22
    bugsmom93
    (female)

bugsmom93 HB User
    Could This be Addison's????????

I had a saliva test done and the results are as follows:
    DHEAS is high is 14.1 for my age 38 female, that is high.
    My Cortisol is:
    Am 1.0 supposed to bee 3.7-6.5
    Noon-3.0 supposed to be 1.2-3
    evening-.8 supposed to be .6-1.9
    night .3 supposed to me .4-1
    My doctor started me on 80 mg of hydrocort, however I started to get severe cramping in my legs and bad swelling in my ankles and legs. He told me to come off for a day and start back one day with one than 2 until I am back up again and than come down slowly again.
    Any ideas what this could all be???????????????Could this be Addisons from my numbers?

Old 03-06-2008, 11:16 AM   #23
    michelles13
    (female)

michelles13 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ******** View Post
    What are your thyroid levels? FT3 and Ft4? You may not be optimized there.. many do not get optimized. Have you been tested for Hashimoto's? It is worth always gettign a copy of your labs. What dose of LevoT are you on?

MG
    hi mg. my tsh is 2.36 and free t4 is 16.i am on 100mg of levothyroxine now i went up to 125 mg when i was pregnant.then they dropped it about 6 mnths since. thing is as well i recently had a large lump removed out my arm and when they removed the stitches it all fell open,i have to twice a week for dressings changed also i dont feel better on monthly b12 jabs ,my head is foggy all the time
    and carnt think what i want to say most of the time.hope someone can help.thanks.
    michelles13

Old 03-06-2008, 06:32 PM   #24
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

So they are not checking your T3 levels? It sounds like you are unbalanced. 2 out of 3 thyroid patients need T3 supplementation to optimize.

Optimized thyroid levels are FT3 and Ft4 levels in the 50-80% range, where the FT3 and fT4 levels are with in 5-10% of each other and your symptoms are negligible. Is an endo working with you. Do they believe in testing and using T3 if necessary? Ask them if they believe in getting you to your optimal level or if they just want you in normal range? I suspect they are just getting you into normal range and settling. Fight for better management. Also get your antibodies tested. If you have Hashi's it needs to be watched.. and your children may need to be watched as well.

Come to the thyroid board and many will offer experience and advice.

MG

Old 03-07-2008, 10:26 AM   #25
    michelles13
    (female)

michelles13 HB User

i have my first appt with endo on 28Th March but he said my thyroid levels were normal and its only because of other things that he gave the appointment no i havent been tested for T-3 or Hashimotos. What is the difference? Thanks will go onto thyroid thread.

Regard
    Michelles13

Old 03-07-2008, 04:27 PM   #26
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

T3 hormones are the active, short lived thyroid hormones. They are used for driving every system in your body. T4 is not used in as much.. it is the thyroid stores that the liver takes and converts to T3.

Hashimoto's is an autoimmune thyroiditis. Your body develops antibodies to the enzyme TPO and a few others that are used to make T4. After the antibodies form.. everytime T4 production is triggered the antibodies attack killing off thyroid tissue. This continues until the thyroid is dead.

MG

Old 03-20-2008, 06:21 AM   #27
    pam50
    (female)

pam50 HB User

Dear Bugsmom,
    Is your doctor an endocrinologist? 80 mg of hydrocortisone is a LOT. A normal dosage of hydrocortisone (Cortef) is 20 mg. Please go to [url]www.nadf.us[/url] and look for the normal cortisol levels daily. the numbers you quoted look too low. A morning cortisol should be somewhere around 15-25 (don't quote me on this - I haven't checked in a while) I have had addison's disease (secondary) for 3 years. When I had a .04 cortisol in the afternoon I was put in the hospital for addisonian crisis. The NADF has a lot of information and a lot of smart people you can email to get help. Doctor's do not know about addisons. There are two types: Primary and Secondary. With Secondary it has been caused by giving too much steroid (that is one way). The pituitary can't make enough ACTH to tell the adrenals to make cortisol. That is what I have. I take 5 mg of prednisone ( I didn't do well on cortef it caused me to hold fluid). Good luck.

Last edited by pam50; 03-20-2008 at 06:23 AM. Reason: misspelling

Old 03-20-2008, 06:46 AM   #28
    bugsmom93
    (female)

bugsmom93 HB User

Pam50,
    Thank you so much for replying. No he is just a General Practioner, I have an appt. with an endo on the 31st. The 80mg were making me sick, my legs were cramping really bad and I was swelling up a lot. The 60 did the same. I finally on my own started with just the 20mg and have stopped per my dr. now. I went to see him yesterday and he took more blood to check my vitamens and nutrients and stuff like that. I asked him about Addisons and he said he didn't think it was that.
    My cortisol in the AM is at 1.0, I know it is exceptionally low and he said that is why he put me on such a high amount of steroids..The afternoon is good but my night is also low. I am SOOOO tired all the time, I could sleep for so long and I work 50 hours a week and have a 14 year old that is on a dance competition team, so I am always running with her, I can not be this tired it's causing problems so I really need to find out what is going on.
    With the Addison's were you very tired?
    I go on the 31st to the Endo.,so hopefully I will find out more.
    thank you again.

Last edited by bugsmom93; 03-20-2008 at 06:48 AM.

Old 03-20-2008, 01:56 PM   #29
    rumpled
    Veteran
    (female)

rumpled HB User

80mg will give you Cushing's disease and make you fatigued as well. The GP may think that more is better, but it will in the end, just damage your body. You need around 20mg. But you cannot just quit, now you have to taper down to that dose so you don't have an adrenal crisis.

Old 03-21-2008, 05:16 AM   #30
    bugsmom93
    (female)

bugsmom93 HB User

Rumpled,
    Thank you so much for your reply.
    However my Doctor took me off of the steroids last week. So I am no longer taking anything. I do not go back to him for 6 weeks, however, I do have an appt. with an endo. ont he 31st so hopefully they will be able to help me.
    I am at a lost, because I just don't know what to do at this point.

Closed Thread