It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board

• Irregular Heart Beat

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-19-2008, 09:52 AM   #1
    monarog
    (female)

monarog HB User
    Irregular Heart Beat

Hi,

Just wondering how many of you have experienced irregular heartbeat? One of my symptoms with Lyme was a very sudden onset of elevated blood pressure; my LLMD attributes it to the Lyme (forget her explanation). Anyway, I purchased a blood pressure cuff to keep an eye on it. Almost everytime I take my BP it indicates an irregular heartbeat; my heart does feel racy and weird. I made an appointment with a cardiologist for next week. After finally figuring out what is wrong with me I don't want to drop dead from this stuff messing up my heart. Any input or experience with this you guys? I told my LLMD about this on our last phone visit and she was the one suggesting I check in with a cardiologist...any thoughts? I also don't want to overreact. I did have an EKG at one of my ER visits a couple of years ago when all this hit and no one could figure out the cause of my problems...it was normal then. Thanks. Mona

Last edited by monarog; 03-19-2008 at 09:53 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-19-2008, 07:21 PM   #2
    ticker
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User
    Re: Irregular Heart Beat

Hi Mona. Lyme and Babesiosis can cause irregular heartbeats. Do you have Babesiosis?

It is always good to have this checked out. You cannot assume it is from tick-borne illnesses.

Good luck at your appointment next week. I hope everything is okay.

Old 03-20-2008, 05:22 AM   #3
    Lateralus112358
    (male)

Lateralus112358 HB User

I hope that clears up as your treatment progresses.

I hate doctors.

Old 03-20-2008, 06:45 AM   #4
    monarog
    (female)

monarog HB User

Hi,

Yes Ticker, I do have Babesiosis, Bartonella and Ehrlichia as well, ugh! I definitely believe the heart symptoms are from the infections. I have never had any heart issues, am a runner, age 46....certainly not that I'm immune to having heart disease like many do...just the heart symptoms have come along at the same time as all the other crazy stuff. I just didn't know how dangerous these symptoms can be if the infection is causing it. I expect the cardiologist to be clueless about Lyme; but, hopefully, can at least tell me if these symptoms are of any concern as far as my heart function goes. I have an appt. on March 26...so guess I'll find out. I'll post what I learn. I don't know what I'd do without this board - it's a great support to me, thank you.
    On a side note, I am now 2 weeks on Zithro and just bumped it up this AM to my full dose of 500 mg. I am a bit scared of how I will react. Mona

Old 03-20-2008, 08:11 AM   #5
    tiredpoet
    Veteran
    (female)

tiredpoet HB User

Hi there! I would agree with Ticker, it is best to have this checked even if it's new with the Lyme/co-infection symptoms. You can never be too safe when it comes to these things!
    I have very low bp and have never had any irregular heartbeat, etc, but I remember reading that one of the side effects of antibiotics can be heart palpitations, so maybe it's a reaction to your medication, but like I said I would insist on having it checked out to be sure, especially if it persists.
    Good luck!

Old 03-21-2008, 06:52 PM   #6
    brimmy
    (male)

brimmy HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by monarog View Post
    Hi,

Yes Ticker, I do have Babesiosis, Bartonella and Ehrlichia as well, ugh! I definitely believe the heart symptoms are from the infections. I have never had any heart issues, am a runner, age 46....certainly not that I'm immune to having heart disease like many do...just the heart symptoms have come along at the same time as all the other crazy stuff. I just didn't know how dangerous these symptoms can be if the infection is causing it. I expect the cardiologist to be clueless about Lyme; but, hopefully, can at least tell me if these symptoms are of any concern as far as my heart function goes. I have an appt. on March 26...so guess I'll find out. I'll post what I learn. I don't know what I'd do without this board - it's a great support to me, thank you.
    On a side note, I am now 2 weeks on Zithro and just bumped it up this AM to my full dose of 500 mg. I am a bit scared of how I will react. Mona
    make sure you get sufficient potassium, high quality protein, Vit C and iron. The Babesia can cause the arrythmias, and the Bartonella can (and will eventually) cause hemolysis, which will over time tend to elevate your heartrate since you'll have fewer red blood cells. Also, drink plenty of water daily. (the protein, Vit C, and iron work together to encourage RDC formation) The Bartonella is working at breaking your RDCs, so you have to simultaneoiusly work at forming new ones.

The combo of all this really reduced both my rate and the arrythmias. I've gotten my hr back down from about 100 to the normal rate of 70 with this regime.

Old 03-22-2008, 07:40 AM   #7
    monarog
    (female)

monarog HB User

Hi Brimmy,

Thanks loads for your knowledgeable input, really appreciated. I am already on mega doses of iron as I'm extremely anemic, most like due to the babesia infection, so I'm told. I am not taking any potassium, vit C or eating extra protein. I will look into all of this. My counter of Rx and supplements is beginning to look more like my parents, who are almost 80 (I'm 46), ugh!

The weird thing for me...I don't understand a whole lot about pulse rate, BP etc. Is my actual pulse rate is low, like in the 40's (has always been pretty low...maybe due to my running?) But, my blood pressure became suddenly elevated when my neuro Lyme symptoms hit and now, as mentioned, my BP monitor almost ALWAYS indicates "irregular heartbeat." It beeps and hollers at me after I take it flashing the "irregular heartbeat" signal at me. Even though my pulse is low, my heartbeat does feel racy, strong, weird...just not right. I hate to overreact, but am going to get input from a cardiologist next week, just to be on the safe side I guess.

I really appreciate your ideas; it's a great help to me and thanks for taking the time to provide it. Hope you're feeling well. Mona

Closed Thread