It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sleep Disorders Message Board

• Sleep Paralysis/Seizure

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-24-2008, 02:32 PM   #1
    srmac
    (female)

srmac HB User
    Sleep Paralysis/Seizure

Hello,

I am new to the board, but I have been having a problem with sleep paralysis for over 25 years. I know that what I have is definitely sleep paralysis because I have done research in books and on the internet. I have typical "frozen body" where I cannot move, but I can hear everything going on around me and I can sometimes see things, albeit fuzzy. Also, this only happens when I am in a prone position (on my back) asleep.

Now, I have a new twist which is quite scary. I have never sought medical help for the paralysis because in everything I have read it seems to be a pretty benign disorder with the greatest problem just being that it's scary while it's happening. According to sleep and neuro forums, sleep paralysis doesn't seem to have any medical effects. BUT, yesterday I was taking a nap on the sofa - prone position - when all of a sudden I felt like I was having "brain squeezes". Then my head started involuntarily bobbing up and down- hard! I also experienced a buzzing sensation in my head. And I could feel my body twitching. During the whole episode, I was also experiencing the sleep paralysis.

Upon waking, my 12-year old son, who was watching TV on the couch next to me, said that I was talking in my sleep, my head was moving and my body was twitching. He said it only lasted for about a minute. At this point, I had a headache and I felt very tired. Is this an epileptic seizure? Should I get to a doctor ASAP?

I know this sounds weird, but I have never had this happen before with my sleep paralysis and I am quite scared.

I am just trying to see if there is anyone out there with a similar or exact situation.

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-25-2008, 09:21 AM   #2
    sztoomuch
    (male)

sztoomuch HB User
    Re: Sleep Paralysis/Seizure

Hi;

I have sleep apnea; also, I am an epileptic. I am not, however, a doctor, so I could not make a diagnosis but I can make a recommendation: Go see your doctor!

For what it is worth, when I have a seizure, I cannot remember it. I have heard that others can, so my experience is just that...mine. Like I said before, go to your doctor and have him/her diagnose you or refer you as needed.

Old 03-31-2008, 03:15 PM   #3
    mark121212
    (male)

mark121212 HB User
    Re: Sleep Paralysis/Seizure

i dont know if its the same thing but i have moments when i am asleep , i wake up and can not move. im still in the sleep stage but no movement. sometimes ive noticed if i breathe heavy i can wake up and get out of this horrible moment. try that next time if you can remember.

Closed Thread