It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board

• Chantix: What comes next?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-05-2007, 03:58 PM   #16
    Skimmer
    (female)

Skimmer HB User
    Re: Chantix: What comes next?

Truebrit - we are all anxious to hear, because we will have to face that road sooner or later, coming off the Chantix. I find that I am forgetting to take mine, and my husband just took one of his yesterday. I don't eat breakfast, so I was taking at lunch and then at night - after dinner. Well lunch was late a couple of days and it was like 2:00 before I took my pill. I'm thinking I might just need one pill a day - I was a fairly light smoker anyways. And I'm not sleeping all that great - woke up at 3:00 last night and couldn't go back to sleep.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-05-2007, 04:04 PM   #17
    Kevin__
    (male)

Kevin__ HB User

TrueBrit, I think I found what you were recommending in an earlier post. You can actually purchase it over the internet. It is an over-the-counter homeopathic. A description follows:

Higher Nature Serotone 5HTP 100mg 30 capsules

Our mood is governed by body chemicals called neurotransmitters, and what we eat may be influencing how we feel. When our body produces enough of the neurotransmitter serotonin, for example, we feel calm and unbothered, and we sleep well; digestion is improved too, and appetite is reduced - perhaps because we're not anxious. Our body makes serotonin from the amino acid tryptophan, which we get from fish, turkey, chicken, cheese, beans, tofu, oats and eggs. We can also make serotonin from a natural amino called 5HTP, as a supplement, which is best taken at night.

Recommended Dosage

Take one tablet daily, preferably with an evening meal or a carbohydrate snack. Children over 8 years old should take no more than tablet a day.
    Adult maximum dosage no more than 3 tablets a day or as your health
    professional advises.

Old 03-06-2007, 12:14 AM   #18
    True Brit
    Inactive
    (female)

True Brit HB User

That was quick work.
    5HTP is plant derived. I take 100g, not a homeopathic dose, at bedtime as if you take it earlier you nod off

WE ALL DESERVE A PAT ON THE BACK EVERY DAY WE DON'T SMOKE.

TEN WEEKS TODAY- YIPEEEEE

Last edited by Administrator; 06-05-2011 at 10:24 PM.

Old 03-06-2007, 12:53 AM   #19
    Memaw649
    Inactive
    (female)

Memaw649 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by True Brit View Post
    WE ALL DESERVE A PAT ON THE BACK EVERY DAY WE DON'T SMOKE.

TEN WEEKS TODAY- YIPEEEEE
    True Brit,
    Congratulations on being smokefree for 10 weeks.

Way to go!! I'm so proud of you. You have done really well in your quit. And thank you for helping out all the other quitters!! You are an inspiration to everyone here.

Memaw

Old 03-06-2007, 02:58 AM   #20
    mangojunky
    (female)

mangojunky HB User

TrueBrit - congrats on 10 weeks!!!!

Skimmer - I know exactly what you are going through - I was a light smoker too, so I cut back to 1 mg/day - I got a pill cutter and take 1/2 in am and 1/2 in pm - that helped me sleep almost through the night. Hang in there!

deb
    2 weeks smoke free!

Old 03-06-2007, 08:42 AM   #21
    True Brit
    Inactive
    (female)

True Brit HB User

One day, one week, two weeks, ten weeks, six months, ten months. We are all here and I think each and every one of us still has something valuable to give or to take on this board. THE POWER OF FRIENDSHIP AND SUPPORT

Old 10-25-2007, 02:05 PM   #22
    Kevin__
    (male)

Kevin__ HB User

Hi JGuthrie,

Sorry to hear you had such a rough time. I had a similar experience myself and did just as you had. I then went through a very slow ween off of Chantix where I cut back to 1/2 tablet a day, then 1/2 tablet every other day, then 1/2 tablet every third day, etc.. At one point I was only taking 1/2 tab on Saturday night before I went out in case I ran into any smokers. The whole ween took about 6 - 8 weeks for me, but I was pretty comfortable the whole time. It REALLY did the trick for me and others who had this experience. Chantix is not addictive so this presented no issues. My doctor had no problem with this. I have heard from several other people who had this same experience over the past year. For some people, the dopamine levels just take longer to stabilize.

Rest assured you are not alone...

Don't be discouraged - you'll get there soon enough. I just got tired of the "Chantix fog" and got tired of taking the medicine all the time. Funny - I still have a little dish with 1/2 tablets on the kitchen counter. Still have a box of Chantix in my kitchen cabinet. Haven't touched either in months.

Sounds like you are doing absolutely fantastic on your quit. You should be awfully proud. Congratulations to you and keep up the good work!!!

Kevin__

Smober for eiight months, three weeks, five days, 16 hours, 4 minutes and 0 seconds. 12135 cigarettes not smoked, saving $2,729.98. Life saved: 6 weeks, 3 hours, 15 minutes.

Last edited by Kevin__; 10-25-2007 at 02:07 PM.

Old 03-21-2008, 12:22 PM   #23
    soul flame
    (female)

soul flame HB User

I wish I had thought about what it might mean to withdraw from Chantix before I took it. I only took it for four weeks and it has been a week since I stopped taking it. I'm not smoking -- that's a good thing, but it hasn't been because I'm not craving cigarettes. It's will power now, but I have all kinds of weird side effects since stopping Chantix that are worse than the side effects while taking it. Vivid nightmares, sleep interruptions, anxiety, edginess, teary-eyed, angry, impatient, this numbness in my lips, bloatedness, insatiable hunger, first I'm burning hot and then I can't warm up (no, I don't have a fever). All of these things are not things I generally have problems with. I finally decided to call my doctor today, but of course the office is closed because it is Good Friday. Any advice to help with the symptoms until I can get to the doctor on Monday?

Old 03-23-2008, 12:48 PM   #24
    jameson76
    (male)

jameson76 HB User

Dear soul flame,

If it's only been 4 weeks since you quit smoking youre probably still feeling the side affects of nic withdrawl, not from the meds. I felt pretty confident I had beat the smoking craving also after about three weeks but decided to stay on chantix after learning from others that stopped the meds out of confidence and then eventually relapsing. Have you thought about weaning off the chantix gradually to help with the withdrawl symptoms? As far as dealing with the side effects I would suggest stocking up on HEALTHY snacks like sunflower seeds or carrot sticks to satisfy that oral fix. The sunflower seeds or unshelled nuts are great because they really give you something to busy yourself with. As far as the anger and moodiness go, You really just have to remind yourself ALL THE TIME that the reason you feel this way is from the withdrawl, and warn your friends and loved ones that you are most likely going to be a nasty [email protected]#er on occasion and please be understanding. I hope this helps...

Last edited by jameson76; 03-23-2008 at 12:59 PM. Reason: after thought

Old 03-24-2008, 06:27 AM   #25
    StenoLady1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

StenoLady1 HB UserStenoLady1 HB User

Soulflame, you are not alone. Many, many people have gone through Chantix withdrawal. We can't give other websites here, but there are actually very large online support groups to deal just with Chantix withdrawal.

Please speak with your physician -- hopefully he or she is one who will listen, research this problem and be able to help you. A lot of people have had to go back on small doses of Chantix and slowly wean themselves off using even smaller doses.

Old 03-25-2008, 10:14 PM   #26
    boatguy18
    (male)

boatguy18 HB User
    Exclamation Re: Chantix: What comes next?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jguthrie20151 View Post
    Today is my 3 month mark. I was on Chantix for 2 months of it. I hate to say that the last month has been total hell. Not from wanting to smoke. That habit is gone. But from the Chantix withdrawal.

The hell includes anxiety, irritability, confusion, fogginess, etc. It is to the point that I am starting to explode with a temper at some of the stupidest things. Things that I would laugh off now send me into a torrent.

I believe it is Chantix withdrawal because I had about a half a dozen pills left over from when I forgot to take them. I have been back on them for 2 days now and already notice a major difference. My 'good mood' is back and I am able to laugh at life again.

Keep in mind, I believe I was the first experience my doc had with the stuff. I told him I was concerned about coming off of it. I learned about Serotonin, Norepinephrine, and Dopamine when I was going through a substance abuse program. (Addiction tends to be greater in those of use where these chemicals are out of balance.) He said to go ahead and quit the Chantix cold turkey.

Tomorrow I am getting my prescription refilled for at least another month. I want to get myself back under control and 'balanced'. Some of your slower methods sound like they are worth a try. I hate the thought of having to be on Wellbutrin or Cymbalta for the rest of my life.

I don't want to scare anyone away from the Chantix. I just want to give a heads up on quitting it cold turkey. While on it I was loving life. I barely had the urge to smoke. I couldn't believe it could be soooo easy. I was happy. Started going to the gym. My wife loves the way I smell now. I'm not having to duck out from my family for a smoke anymore. Most of all, I am my son's hero.

Thanks for the tips. I'll let you know how it goes.

Old 03-25-2008, 10:33 PM   #27
    boatguy18
    (male)

boatguy18 HB User

First time I've ever done something like this, but feel compelled to let everyone know of my experience with Chantix. Been smoking for 20 years and have tried everything to quit: patch, gum, zyban, I've tried it all with no success. I gave Chantix a try and I have to tell you, even though most of you may already know, the first week was wild. After I smoked for a week while taking it, I expected to have the typical jerk personality the next day. However, to my amazement, I did not even think about a cigartette until around 3 in the afternoon the day I actually stopped smoking. And that only occured after I walked past a guy who was smoking. The next two months there was no physical or mental desire or urge for a cigarette. I kept thinking I should have one, but it never happened. I was on it for two months and got my third and last month perscription filled. I started to stop taking it. That is when I first started to experience some very strange side effects. The longer I stopped, the worse it got. I do not want to scare anyone off, however, ppl like me who think it is the wonder drug (and I do believe it is for quitting smoking) need to be prepared. The evenings trying to sleep are hell. I find myself lying in bed and my brain won't stop. I almost fall asleep, then the easiest thought suddenly becomes the most intense moment of the day. And it simply gets worse as the evening goes on. Heavy breathing, high anxiety to a close to a near panic sensation over the normally silliest thoughts. Example being in the past two nights, I've had three hours of sleep. I quit smoking two months ago with NO issues or cravings. I quit Chantix one week ago and while it has not been easy at all, it is easier than the whole cold turkey non smoking process. I've done alot of research of this stuff recently and while it is different for everyone, it is definately not easy in the end. But considering the side effects from ppl Ive seen with a life long and life ending smoking habit, I still believe the anxiety effects from Chantix are worth it. But be prepared, it's not over until the after effects of Chantix are finished and Im not there yet.

Old 03-26-2008, 11:21 AM   #28
    imjensmom
    (female)

imjensmom HB User
    Question Re: Chantix: What comes next?

Boatguy, how awful for you! When you quit the Chantix did you do it all at once or cut back until you didn't take it any longer? It's working so well for me, I've been taking it for 5 weeks and haven't had a cig in 30 days with very few cravings. I'm wondering if I should start maybe taking 1/2 a dose twice a day for a while then cut down again from there to avoid what you've gone through. When I quit smoking using nic patches (15 years ago), I experienced much of the same thing that you've experienced but it was all day and night. I can't do it again, I won't survive the anxiety. Have you seen your Doctor to see if maybe there's something they can give you to relieve your night time anxiety and help you sleep?

30 days down, 3000000000000 more to go.

Last edited by imjensmom; 03-26-2008 at 11:29 AM.

Old 03-26-2008, 04:13 PM   #29
    Shirley55
    (female)

Shirley55 HB User
    Thumbs up Re: Chantix: What comes next?

I too had issues with Chantix while taking it and coming off of it. I experienced Depression, sleeplessness, hot flashes, cold chills, Bloating, insatiable hunger and hence weight gain. But Chantix still helped me quit cigarettes and for that I am grateful. I smoked for 37 years. It has now been 3 months and 2 days since my last cigarette and I feel better and better everyday. Except for the weight gain. I need to regain my will power when it comes to diet and exercise. So hang in there. There is life after cigarettes.

The Following User Says Thank You to Shirley55 For This Useful Post:
    specialsis (07-25-2011)
    Old 04-21-2008, 02:27 PM   #30
    jem6600
    (male)

jem6600 HB User

I just quit chantix this week (day 3.) I have successfully quit smoking and I have slowly weaned myself from the full dosage to half dosage with no side effects.

Today, I have an incredible high level of anxiety, I have not been able to sleep the last few nights and I itch all over. None of these symptoms are normal for me. I called my doctor and he advised to keep taking the chantix (I still had some.)

This is just a word of caution to others out there. Yes it will help you quit but I had no idea that I would have to go through this to get off of the drug! I wish I would have had more information when it was prescribed....I'm happy that I don't smoke but this stuff is bad too.

Closed Thread