It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board

• I think it is Lyme

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-29-2008, 01:45 AM   #1
    littleshelly
    (female)

littleshelly HB User
    I think it is Lyme

Hi everyone, this is my first post here. I was bitten by a tick and got a rash 20 years ago. At the time did not know anything about Lyme. Got very sick with what I thought was the flu after that. Over the years developed pain in arms, twitching and so on. Then about 10 years ago got very sick with symptoms I will list below. Never found out what was wrong. Sick for a year but slowly got better. Now I am sick again. Almost unable to work. The most disturbing symptoms are cognitive and personality changes. Angry for no reason, confused, irritable, tired and weak all the time. The thing that scares me the most is the loss of strength in my arms and legs. My legs feel like rubber and I have a hard time walking. My family Dr. is sending me to an infectious disease Dr. I am currently on augmentin. I was on Biaxin but it made me very sick. Want opinions as to what all of you think. I am worried it is MS or something like that. I am very physically fit and healthy otherwise. Workout ever day, eat right. Maintain an ideal weight. I would also like to know if anyone else has any of the strange symptoms I have. One very strange things is I can hear a sizzling in the back of my neck, base of skull that sounds like a can of pop when you open it. This is so scarry to me. It is not creaks and cracks although I have that also. This is like a sizzling sound made from my spinal fluid passing from my spinal column to my brain.

Symptoms are:

Very weak
    Soars on ear lobes. Soars that just appear. In the same place on both ears. Looks like a line of skin just pealed off. I can feel it happen. Then there is a soar that bleeds and hurts for days.
    Rash in different places. Big red oval rash, rash that looks like poison ivy.
    Lethargic
    Extreme fatigue and exhaustion. Different than just being tired
    Brain fog
    Panic, feel like crying
    Tightness in neck and face
    Extreme leg and arm weakness
    Numbness and tingling in legs and arms, hands and feet. Legs feel rubbery, stiff
    Change in my gait. How I walk. My legs feel like the muscles are wasting or like the nerves are damaged.
    Change in taste and smell. Unable to taste food some of the time
    Tingling in tongue. Feels like tongue is swollen
    When I lay down at night my tongue vibrates, twitches. I feel this when I am still.
    Hoarse, feels like throat is swollen or a piece of cotton is stuck in my throat. My voice changes and gets rough.
    Taste in mouth and throat. Like cardboard
    Neck, back and shoulder pain
    Stiff neck
    Muscle pain in different locations
    Twitching
    Knee, elbow, wrist and ankle pain and swelling
    Irritability
    Personality change
    Depression
    Poor concentration
    Mood swings
    Word finding problems
    Top of head pain
    Pressure in head
    Headache
    Sizzling and grinding sounds in neck
    Eye pain and pressure, spots, red eye and swelling
    Blurry vision
    Sensitivity to noise and light
    Bladder problems, bladder spasms
    Poor coordination
    Dizziness
    Weakness
    Palpitations
    Twitching and jerking
    Heartburn, acid reflux
    Chocking feeling
    Lightheadedness, wooziness
    Poor balance, dizziness, difficulty walking
    Full feeling in head
    Tight feeling in head
    Stumbling, tripping, clumsy
    Wet feelings on skin
    Crawling sensations on skin
    Hot and cold sensations
    Vibrating and shaking all over. Visible to other people
    Extreme cramping in legs. Charlie horses
    Stomach pain and extreme bloating
    Sleep problems

Last edited by littleshelly; 03-29-2008 at 03:01 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-30-2008, 02:38 AM   #2
    littleshelly
    (female)

littleshelly HB User
    Re: I think it is Lyme

When I was sick 10 years ago I went to a Lyme Dr. in Hermitage PA. Saw him and was treated with oral antibiotics for about a year. Did a western blot, sent to CA lab and it was equivocal. Recent Elsa was negative. PA is a long drive for me so I was hoping a local Dr. would treat me. I am pretty sure this is Lyme but the muscle weakness is making me think MS or something of that nature.

Old 03-30-2008, 04:20 AM   #3
    datgrlstef
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

datgrlstef HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by littleshelly View Post
    When I was sick 10 years ago I went to a Lyme Dr. in Hermitage PA. Saw him and was treated with oral antibiotics for about a year. Did a western blot, sent to CA lab and it was equivocal. Recent Elsa was negative. PA is a long drive for me so I was hoping a local Dr. would treat me. I am pretty sure this is Lyme but the muscle weakness is making me think MS or something of that nature.
    I haven't found a doctor in Ohio to treat me. I have to drive to Hermitage as well.. have been doing so since last May.

Have you gone to a neuro to have (more) tests run for MS?

Old 03-30-2008, 08:03 AM   #4
    ticker
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User

Hi littleshelly. It is never a bad idea to be evaluated for other things if you think it is a possibility.

No test for Lyme is completely reliable, and from what I understand the ELISA is the least reliable.

How long were you sick before starting treatment? Were you treated until you were symptom free plus a couple of months longer? Were you tested for all the co-infections? Sometimes when improvement is not made it is because co-infections are present. Many Lyme doctors believe they need to be treated first for Lyme treatment to be effective. This was true in my case. I had muscle weakness from the co-infection Babesiosis.

Old 03-31-2008, 03:51 PM   #5
    littleshelly
    (female)

littleshelly HB User

I was treated before with antibiotics oral only and yes until I felt better. Have not been tested for any co-infections. I am going to ask the infectious disease Dr. about this. The Biaxin caused me to have horrible hypoglycemic attacks and my appetite was out of control. Hard on my stomach. Don't think it was a herx. I am familiar with that.
    I am hoping this Dr. will treat me and I do want to rule out other possibilities.

Closed Thread