It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board

• I believe I can now reccomend Niacin as an anti-borrelia treatment

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-29-2008, 07:50 PM   #1
    brimmy
    (male)

brimmy HB User
    I believe I can now reccomend Niacin as an anti-borrelia treatment

For about the last year I have carefully experimented with several supposedly effective homeopathic treatments for Bb and the most common co-infections. To date I can only say I've found one that I can pretty confidently say appears to actually work. It seems that Deitrich Klinghardt is right about Niacin.

In order to best confirm the efficacy of any treatment I never change more than one element of my protocol at at time, then if it seems I am rapidly getting better or worse, I discontinue the newest addition to see what changes may occur. In the case of Niacin in very large doses, every time I restart it's use I begin to feel much worse within about 5 days, with all the symptoms I've experienced on prescription antibiotics. My kidneys begin to hurt badly, my joints start aching awfully, I feel feverish, and the cognitive symptoms get noticeably worse.

I've had to infer that the kidney pain is probably a Herx effect for me based on the fact that I know the kidneys tend to have large concentrations of Bb. It stands to reason any area of high concentration is going to feel worse when the Bb begins to die off. The joint pain I've read is a common Herx site for many LD patients.

I have to point out again for emphasis that these apparent Herx effects start again every time I restart the Niacin and then every time I discontinue the Niacin they resolve completely within 24-36 hours. That's not wishful thinking, and at this point it seems more than coincidental. Afterwards I tend to feel consistently better than I felt before beginning the Niacin protocol.

It must be Niacin though, not the "no-flush" preparations, which I believe are Niacinamide. Start with 3000mg daily in divided doses. You will turn quite red, and may even burn and itch for an hour to two hours after each dose. Your body will acclamate to the Niacin quickly though, and after 1-2 days the flushing will greatly reduce, or even stop altogether. Once that happens, increase the dose to 4000mg daily. Don't increase it any more for at least a week, when you know how effective it will be for you, otherwise you might Herx so badly you feel awful. You can take it on either an empty or full stomach. Empty stomach will tend to flush you more severely, but for a shorter period of time, full stomach the flushing will be less severe, but for a longer time. However, as I said the flushing will reduce greatly within the first day or so.

I'm really very interested to see if Niacin helps anyone else, and hope at least some of you will give it a go.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-04-2008, 10:00 PM   #2
    brimmy
    (male)

brimmy HB User
    Re: I believe I can now reccomend Niacin as an anti-borrelia treatment

Ok I've stayed on the Niacin protocol now consistently for over two weeks, and appear to be working through most of the Herxheimer "healing crisis" symptoms, with the aid of copious spring water and detox baths. I've titrated up to a maximum dosage of 6000 milligrams a day in divided doses. The kidney pain finally resolved and the joint pain is slightly less problematic.

The biggest changes are improved mood, cognitive function, and overall energy level. I'm getting days now where I have no brain fog whatsoever, and my energy is completely normal. Even at doses of 1500mg a meal I'm not experiencing any flushing at all anymore. I think the Niacin is a great compliment to large doses of Vitamin C.

Old 04-09-2008, 10:30 PM   #3
    brimmy
    (male)

brimmy HB User

I just went through my monthly "Herx" while still on the Niacin, and I can say for certain it was the worst I have ever felt in my life. Sweet Mary I couldn't even keep water down for 16 hours and every bone in my body hurt. Conservatively, it was perhaps twice as bad as the next worse monthly Herx I've ever suffered.

I'm going to have to pay attention to the calender now and remember to cycle off as the monthly Bb die-off approaches. That was absolutely dreadful.

Old 06-17-2008, 02:44 PM   #4
    stasis4
    (female)

stasis4 HB Userstasis4 HB Userstasis4 HB User

I am also taking niacin doses and every time I do, the body starts turning a deep red and there is alot of itchiness and burning sensations. This has happened the last 4 times I have taken it.

i will continue with the niacin to see how it goes. I get diarrhoea too after each dose.

Old 06-17-2008, 04:31 PM   #5
    datgrlstef
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

datgrlstef HB User

I'm curious how you know for sure that the reaction your body is having, is a "good" thing?

Old 06-17-2008, 05:55 PM   #6
    luckeeluke
    (male)

luckeeluke HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by datgrlstef View Post
    I'm curious how you know for sure that the reaction your body is having, is a "good" thing?
    x2

Are there any research papers on the antibacterial effects of Niacin? Or Lyme? I imagine there probably aren't that many, might be interesting to see how Niacin might be helpful for Lyme or other bacteria.

I know I tried it for a day or two about a year or two ago and only took 50-100mg and felt lightheaded, flushed, dizzy. I think those are some of the side effects of the Niacin. It could be somehow switching off your immune system even more so that it feels like the bacteria are dying, but they might really be having a party, especially if it works like "steroid" of some sort.

I guess I really don't know what I'm talking about, figured I'd throw some thoughts out there anyway.

Last edited by luckeeluke; 06-17-2008 at 05:57 PM.

Old 06-17-2008, 07:58 PM   #7
    brimmy
    (male)

brimmy HB User

Quote:
    Because I suddenly and predictably experience all of the hallmarks of the prototypical healing crisis or Herx.

Old 06-17-2008, 08:02 PM   #8
    brimmy
    (male)

brimmy HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by luckeeluke View Post
    x2

Are there any research papers on the antibacterial effects of Niacin? Or Lyme? I imagine there probably aren't that many, might be interesting to see how Niacin might be helpful for Lyme or other bacteria.

I know I tried it for a day or two about a year or two ago and only took 50-100mg and felt lightheaded, flushed, dizzy. I think those are some of the side effects of the Niacin. It could be somehow switching off your immune system even more so that it feels like the bacteria are dying, but they might really be having a party, especially if it works like "steroid" of some sort.

I guess I really don't know what I'm talking about, figured I'd throw some thoughts out there anyway.
    Yes there has been research into the efficacy of Niacin as an antibiotic, but I don't know that any has been done recently. I don't know of any evidence that any of the B vites are capable of suppressing immune function. To the contrary, I believe it's universally agreed that B vites enhance immune function.

My symptoms are definitely beginning to decline overall. The lyme arthritic pain has decreased by probably 50% or more in all my joints. Finger joint pain is now totally gone.

Old 06-18-2008, 07:04 PM   #9
    luckeeluke
    (male)

luckeeluke HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by brimmy View Post
    To the contrary, I believe it's universally agreed that B vites enhance immune function.
    This is what I've always thought and heard, seems to make sense. It's good you are feeling much better.

Maybe I'll think about trying a little bit of the Niacin again.

Thanks for the reply.

Old 06-19-2008, 04:54 AM   #10
    cwarren25
    (female)

cwarren25 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Oasis View Post
    I am also taking niacin doses and every time I do, the body starts turning a deep red and there is alot of itchiness and burning sensations.
    Niacin has that effect on most people when taken in higher doses.

Old 06-21-2008, 06:12 PM   #11
    brimmy
    (male)

brimmy HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cwarren25 View Post
    Niacin has that effect on most people when taken in higher doses.
    Unfortunately most people don't persevere with the regimen long enough to discover the flushing is only a transient side effect. After 2-3 days your body acclimates and the flushing either completely stops or declines substantially. In my case I still get some slight flushing on the first dose each day, but none at all on the second and third doses.

Old 06-22-2008, 07:21 AM   #12
    datgrlstef
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

datgrlstef HB User

I may have missed this part.. but what does your doctor say about your being on this treatment? Does he or she believe the reaction you have to Niacin in this dose is a herx, and not a typical reaction to perhaps over dosing? Do you know anybody else on this protocol who has taken it long-term, and if so, has it really helped their Lyme go into remission? (and after how long?)

Old 06-23-2008, 07:41 AM   #13
    J0J0
    Inactive

J0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB User

Niacin is actually good for the treatment of bacteria's. It is also used for lowering Cholesterol. My doctor "Michael Powell. D.O." has a great article on line you can read. He treats people with Chlamydia Pnumonaiae bacteria and other bacteria's, virus's. It might help some to understand the use for it.

Glad it is helping you Brimmy....

Last edited by J0J0; 06-23-2008 at 07:42 AM.

Old 06-23-2008, 05:20 PM   #14
    brimmy
    (male)

brimmy HB User

Quote:
    I may have missed this part.. but what does your doctor say about your being on this treatment? Does he or she believe the reaction you have to Niacin in this dose is a herx, and not a typical reaction to perhaps over dosing? Do you know anybody else on this protocol who has taken it long-term, and if so, has it really helped their Lyme go into remission? (and after how long?)
    my epidemiologist agrees that my symptoms are consistent with those experienced by LD patients on potent antibiotics. She wasn't initially familiar with the old research on Niacin (done mostly in Germany I believe) but did eventually read some of it. 6,000mg daily is not nearly enough to cause overdose symptoms. People have taken up to 20,000mg of Niacin with no problems. It causes slight increases in blood glucose though, so anyone with Type II diabetes needs to watch their blood levels. Type I patients probably should not try this at all.

Detoxing is essential for everyone though. Until I started consistently detoxing, I was never able to stay on the Niacin for more than 4-5 days because I'd Herx so awfully it was intolerable, i.e severe joint pain and body aches, nausea, severe paresthesias, etc. As long as I simultaneously stay on my detox protocol though it's not a problem. I run the Niacin at 6,000 mg daily in three divided doses for 30 days, then pause for a week so I allow my system to thoroughly detox. It's during the detox week you realize how much the Bb load has really dropped, and you can actually enjoy having killed so much of it. I felt truly great. Concentration and memory were completely normal again, and only slight twinge in my right elbow. Energy great, sex drive normal, big reduction in the paresthesias.

As for length of time to stay on it, IIRC Kinghardt recommended 18 months minimum at the therapeutic dose.

Last edited by brimmy; 06-23-2008 at 05:24 PM.

Closed Thread