It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addison's Disease Message Board

• How many of you have autoimmune addisons disease?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-13-2007, 01:51 AM   #16
    sumgale72
    (female)

sumgale72 HB User
    Re: How many of you have autoimmune addisons disease?

Hey, I'm new to all this so bear with me. I'm 35 years old and have Schmitt's syndrome. I got addisons at 18, type 1 diabetes at 20, gastroperisis at 23, menopause at 27, and hypothyroidism at 30. It's not a great deal of fun but, you play with the cards you're dealt.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-16-2007, 06:36 AM   #17
    Diane44
    (female)

Diane44 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sumgale72 View Post
    Hey, I'm new to all this so bear with me. I'm 35 years old and have Schmitt's syndrome. I got addisons at 18, type 1 diabetes at 20, gastroperisis at 23, menopause at 27, and hypothyroidism at 30. It's not a great deal of fun but, you play with the cards you're dealt.
    Hi,
    I have primary Addisons diagnosed as autoimmue also. In my teens I had some severe gall bladder attacks and had it removed along with my appendix, In my early 20's my thyroid stopped working, I have been on meds for that for over 20 years now. I have had erratic periods my whole life. Once it lasted for two years, I had many ovary problems but my ovaries finally stopped working in my late 30's so I hear no menopause for me! I have arthritis, psoriasis, very dry skin, dry eyes and I have chronic allergies which I have been on meds for for over 10 years. All autoimmuse disorders my Dr. at Mayo tells me. My liver functions never seem to be normal anymore when tested. I had the classic case of Addisons they tell me but then it took them many many months to find it. Overall I am the healthiest unhealthy person I know! I feel great for the most part but take a lot of meds to live. I will probably get diabetes in the future and not only because of all my other autoimmune disorders but because it runs in my family. I have an aunt who got type 1 in her 40's. My son has had it since he was 12, 2 nephews and one nephew who passed away at 20 because of it. It is hereditary so I am feeling pretty confident that in the future I will have that also. You know no matter how much is wrong with us though, treated correctly our lives can be as normal as those who are not sick. I am doing very well even though I do have pain daily from the arthritis. I am just enjoying being alive and life is good. :-)

Last edited by Diane44; 11-16-2007 at 06:37 AM.

Old 11-17-2007, 10:14 PM   #18
    2jen
    (female)

2jen HB User

I have addisons, hashimotos and hypoparathyroid and all three are autoimmune. I am only 23 and worry that this will all affect me being able to have kids. My cycles come somewhere between 30 and 45 days, its never regular but I also have never gone longer than 45 days. Is there anyone else out there like me that was able to get pregnant fairly easily and have a successful pregnancy?
    Hashimoto's

Old 02-04-2008, 06:53 PM   #19
    Crssywissy
    (female)

Crssywissy HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pheesao View Post
    I can drink straight lemon juice and enjoy it. Other people cringe when they see me do that. I eat salt like normal people eat sugar.

Hi. I'm new here and sort of new to the Addisons experience. I was diagnosed three years ago with primary adrenal insufficiency. Everyday seems like a new experience for me and a new challenge but I am learning to deal. Anyway....I saw this post and it caught my eye. I thought I was alone in the pickle juice and straight lemon juice drinking. I absolutely love LOVE sprinkling lemons with salt and eating them. I don't know as much as I should about Addisons....so could someone tell me, what is it that makes me crave lemons and salt so much?

Thanks, Christina~~

Old 02-04-2008, 10:33 PM   #20
    oleqwilter
    (female)

oleqwilter HB User

schmidt's syndrome is addison's disease with hypothyroid too.

Oleqwilter

Old 02-24-2008, 10:34 PM   #21
    smrm31
    (female)

smrm31 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pheesao View Post
    ...... If anyone is having blood sugar control probs and you are not on a sliding scale, check with your doc again, or get a new endo. Sliding scale is the only way to go with Addisons. I have had perfect control of my sugars for 3 years now. I had to get a doctor that was familiar with diabetes caused by Addison's.
    I am new to this and I'm just now being tested for all the things mentioned on this board, as soon as I have results, I am going to post to get responses cause you all seem to help each other so much. Could you explain to me what a sliding scale is? I have had trouble with my sugar for years, (seems like the more I eat the lower the sugar goes?? doc can't figure that one out cause my tests all come back normal) but I struggle to keep my sugar up. Once in a while it will go up to around 160, but falls quickly . Once I tested before eating and after eating and my sugar was 8 points lower after eating! UNREAL
    Anyway, Ive had the lethargy, dizziness, weakness to the point of not being able to care for myself, hard rapid heartbeat, shortness of breath (I've went through all kinds of heart tests, monitors, etc), hot flashes, heat intolerance (can't even go outside in summer without blacking out, memory problems, and many more. The past month has been a nightmare and if I don't get relief soon, I'm going to check myself into a hospital!! I'll try to elaborate more when my results come back. Hopefully with your help and the dr, maybe I can get some answers to 15 year old problems! Thanks for any info to help this newbie!

Old 02-27-2008, 12:10 PM   #22
    bugsmom93
    (female)

bugsmom93 HB User

I had a saliva test done and the results are as follows:
    DHEAS is high is 14.1 for my age 38 female, that is high.
    My Cortisol is:
    Am 1.0 supposed to bee 3.7-6.5
    Noon-3.0 supposed to be 1.2-3
    evening-.8 supposed to be .6-1.9
    night .3 supposed to me .4-1
    My doctor started me on 80 mg of hydrocort, however I started to get severe cramping in my legs and bad swelling in my ankles and legs. He told me to come off for a day and start back one day with one than 2 until I am back up again and than come down slowly again.
    Any ideas what this could all be???????????????Could this be Addisons from my numbers?

Old 02-27-2008, 01:23 PM   #23
    pulskaki
    (female)

pulskaki HB User

what is addison disiase???

Old 04-01-2008, 08:59 PM   #24
    jenni12
    (female)

jenni12 HB User

Hey Christina,
    I'm new too. And the reason you crave salt is because your body doesn't maintain it like normal people do. I love salt and crave it all the time. In the mornings I'm not a pancake kind of girl I like the salty stuff like hash browns or an egg with lots of salt. But I drink those ensure drinks a lot in the mornings, I feel it helps a lot with how I feel the rest of the day, plus they have a lot of vitamins.

Old 04-03-2008, 04:21 AM   #25
    scottishlassie
    (female)

scottishlassie HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by smrm31 View Post
    I am new to this and I'm just now being tested for all the things mentioned on this board, as soon as I have results, I am going to post to get responses cause you all seem to help each other so much. Could you explain to me what a sliding scale is? I have had trouble with my sugar for years, (seems like the more I eat the lower the sugar goes?? doc can't figure that one out cause my tests all come back normal) but I struggle to keep my sugar up. Once in a while it will go up to around 160, but falls quickly . Once I tested before eating and after eating and my sugar was 8 points lower after eating! UNREAL
    Anyway, Ive had the lethargy, dizziness, weakness to the point of not being able to care for myself, hard rapid heartbeat, shortness of breath (I've went through all kinds of heart tests, monitors, etc), hot flashes, heat intolerance (can't even go outside in summer without blacking out, memory problems, and many more. The past month has been a nightmare and if I don't get relief soon, I'm going to check myself into a hospital!! I'll try to elaborate more when my results come back. Hopefully with your help and the dr, maybe I can get some answers to 15 year old problems! Thanks for any info to help this newbie!
    Hi from another "newbie"

Thank you for posting this. I have been waiting, to post my first post, to read something like this. I have Addison's, undefined as to whether it is primary or secondary merely by method of elimination. I too have problems with eating. Not always but quite regularly I would feel really sick, cold, heart pounding in my ears, very lethargic, very much off kilter. I bought all the gadgets to test bp (low but fine for me) thermometer (low but fine for me) and just recently diabetes testing kit (couldn't get it to work after wasting three strips). I have always thought it was my sugars but have never been able to catch it in time. My bloods also come back "normal".

The only reason I have ever considered it being my sugars is after my insulin intolerance test, my sugars dropped to 1.2 very quickly and they had to abandon the test and give my glucose via my iv. When my daughter had her test she was fine and her sugars went back up with Lucozade.

I am in the process of transferring my Endocrinologists so I'm hoping they will want to run a set of their own tests. Fingers crossed.

Last edited by scottishlassie; 04-03-2008 at 04:22 AM.

Old 04-03-2008, 09:04 AM   #26
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

I have Hashimoto's thyroiditis.. my pain in the neck trouble maker. I spawned primary adrenal autoimmune insufficiency after my thyroid was traumatized. I am waiting to see what my body goes after next. Pity the hypoT tummy roll isn't something easily attacked and destroyed by our immune systems.

Sincerely,
    MG

Closed Thread