It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cerebral Palsy Message Board

• Seizures & vomiting

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-13-2008, 07:26 PM   #1
    dbrea273
    (female)

dbrea273 HB User
    Question Seizures & vomiting

Hi All

I am new to the board. My 7 year old daughter has spastic quad cerebral palsy. She has had seizures on and off for the past several years.

Recently her seizures have changed. They are very focussed in her face and mouth region. Often she has problems speaking afterwards. The last three times, she has vomitted at the very end.

I am just wondering if this is something normal (if it can be called that).

Thanks

db

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-13-2008, 08:40 PM   #2
    neeciewoo
    (female)

neeciewoo HB User
    Re: Seizures & vomiting

my daughter has spastic quad cp...she had seizures at birth. they determined it was a vitamin b6 deficiency and we had to give her pyrodoxine for the first 6 months of her life, hoping her body would, by then, produce it on her own. it did. she'll be 21 on monday and not a seizure since.

best of luck to you...let me know how you make out with this.

denise in maryland.

Old 03-13-2008, 09:53 PM   #3
    Lori88
    (female)

Lori88 HB User

I have mild hemiplegia on the left side and will be 22 in August. I had seizures on and off from age 8 to 16. Before every seizure, I vomited and lost consciousness. They described my vomiting as a aura to the seizures. I have been seuzure free for 6 years, and off medication for 4 years.

Old 04-02-2008, 02:17 AM   #4
    batty
    (female)

batty HB User

Hi there

I also have a 7 year old spastic triplegic who had infantile spasms as a wee one then seizure free for about 3 years and has started having seizures again, roughly every 6 months a big one, with vomiting also. EEG shows focal abnormalities. Recently he has had abnormal eye flickering rhythmically for about 6 times in about 5 seconds but they dont really seem to bother him. We have had to start epilepsy medication again. I was told that it is common for kids with CP who have had seizures before to go on and develop another "bout" of them for a few years, every so often. Vomiting is commonly a part of seizures we have worked out for us!

Old 04-02-2008, 12:51 PM   #5
    dbrea273
    (female)

dbrea273 HB User

Thanks for the input - it seems like it will just be a part of our lives (a messy one)!

Denise

Old 05-19-2008, 07:10 PM   #6
    goulais
    (female)

goulais HB User

Hey all:
    It has been a LONG time since I've been on the board, but I had a major question I am HOPING someone can tell me about. My son is 4 years old and has spastic diplegia diagnosed at 5 months old. They say he has mild CP, but I don't understand how they get to that conclusion because he still can't walk. Anyway getting to the point. My son had a seizure in November 2006, he was 2 years and 7 months old. It was a bad one and he had never had a siezure before this. He was sick with a very high fever and vomitted very badly. Of course they couldn't give me an answer as to why.

Yesterday, he had his second seizure after 2 years and 6 months from his first one. He had no fever, but he did throw up very badly. My son had started oral baclofen last Monday. He was only on 5 mg in the evening to start with. Tomorrow I a suppose to start him on 5 mg twice daily, once in the morning and again in the evening.

My question is, when I look back in his daily journals, the ONLY thing that has changed is he started the baclofen. Could the baclofen have caused the seizure and is there anyone else who's child or adult had a seizure due to the baclofen?

Anyway, sorry for bothering everyone and I hope this message gets to eveyone fast because I am really nervous in thinking the baclofen may have caused this seizure??

Take care and hope to hear from anyone!!!
    Goulais

Old 05-25-2008, 10:51 PM   #7
    batty
    (female)

batty HB User

From the info I have read, Baclofen can increase the propensity for seizures, which is why we shied away from it. Good luck with your decision, but maybe have a look at Baclofen on the net to see if you can gain any firther info.
    God Bless

Old 05-26-2008, 06:11 AM   #8
    goulais
    (female)

goulais HB User

Thanks so much for the info. The day after the seizure happened, I started wheaning him off of the baclofen and thank God, so far no seizures. I really think that was what caused it because I find it very hard to believe that he had 1 seizure 2 years and 7 months ago and he then starts baclofen and all of a sudden after a week of starting the baclofen he has a seizure. I don't think it's a coincidence. Regardless of what the doctor says, I am taking him off of it. Thank you so much for the reply and talk to you soon.

Goulais

Closed Thread