It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board

• Foot care in weeks after Hip replacement surgery

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-05-2008, 05:46 PM   #1
    Larimergirl
    Veteran
    (female)

Larimergirl HB UserLarimergirl HB UserLarimergirl HB User
    Foot care in weeks after Hip replacement surgery

It seems there is no end to the minutiae I can worry about before surgery! However, this is really bothering me--I have a slight ingrown toenail on my left foot. I generally keep problems at bay by a weekly pedicure at an vietnamese run nail salon (so inexpensive to have the frequent treatment). However, the chairs there are really low and don't see how, even with pillows that I'm going to be able to avoid raising knees higher than hip. Surgery will be on my right hip, but still you get both feet done with a pedicure.

Any ideas on how to handle footcare after surgery? Assuming after 6 weeks or so, it will be easier to get a pedicure. Am willing to spend more money and go to a more expensive place if I can find one where chairs are suitable--but am worried that immediately after surgery my foot will kill me. I really can't go more than a week without some work on the toe.

A few months ago, I went to a chiropractor but he didn't want to do anything to the nail--said it just wasn't bad enough. But with all the talking we've been doing about infections after surgery, I won't want to chance an infected toe.

Any ideas would be welcome as I have several weeks to take care of stuff like this.

Thanks.

Last edited by Larimergirl; 04-05-2008 at 05:47 PM. Reason: correcting spelling

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-06-2008, 06:04 AM   #2
    Silver Swan
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Silver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB User
    Re: Foot care in weeks after Hip replacement surgery

Larimergirl:

Sounds like you have a really serious problem there with the ingrown toenail on your foot. I have no suggestions other than to take your own chair along with you and I know that presents problems. Hope some other readers here will have some workable ideas.
    I have the problem of just trimming my toenails. I do have an extended toenail trimmer but that isn't long enough to reach my toes, either. I still can't bend down far enough. While I was in the rehab center, a nice aide trimmed my toenails and that is three months ago. I can reach my left foot a little but not my right foot, the operated side.

My health plan does not pay for routine foot care if one does not have diabetes, which I don't. I think that is short sighted in view of the needs of those with hip replacements. I have never had a pedicure but would have the same problem with that as you have.

Shirley H.

Old 04-06-2008, 10:25 AM   #3
    Tobias
    Veteran
    (female)

Tobias HB User

Is this ingrown toenail infected at all? Does it ever get infected? Are you being treated by a podiatrist? Why are you asking a chiro to treat an ingrown toenail?

Take a boat cushion along for chairs that are too low. You can buy one in a discount store's sporting goods dept that includes marine accessories.

For foot care, it is good to have someone else do the clipping. As a matter of fact you will probably not be able to reach your feet at all for awhile. I had my husband clip my nails a couple of times and I never did have them done professionally.

If you go to a salon, be SURE they sterilize their reusable instruments between each client. If you're NOT SURE, take your own - clippers, files, polish, everything. I don't have a lot of faith in the sanitation in some of these salons and, since I don't want to get a needless infection with my hip replacements, I probably will never go to one. That's just my prejudice talking.

If you are on medicare and need special foot care, I believe you can get it. Our small town local paper periodically has a notice from the county health dept. that nail trimming is scheduled. The cost may be determined by ability to pay. I imagine some of the patients are diabetic & can't reach their feet and that's why they need this service.

Last edited by Tobias; 04-06-2008 at 10:27 AM.

Old 04-06-2008, 12:16 PM   #4
    Larimergirl
    Veteran
    (female)

Larimergirl HB UserLarimergirl HB UserLarimergirl HB User

I meant podiatrist. Don't know where my brain was when typing last post.....I should have explained more I see. My ingrown toe nail is very mild and has never been infected. It just becomes uncomfortable after a week or so if I do not have a pedicure and have skin around nail trimmed, etc. I went to see a podiatrist because it was making me crazy--i.e. didn't go away. He didn't want to remove nail or do anything because it wasn't infected and recommended filing the side of the nail periodically. I have always been diligent in looking after this toe so that it will not become infected. I live by myself so getting my husband to do my nails is not an option. Hence, when I could not do my nails my self, I opted for a salon. Now I was merely worried about mechanics of sitting and getting manicure done after surgery when restrictions were in place.

I'm not on medicare. Fully employed, only 50 and extremely familiar with salon protocol . Have been getting manicures and pedicures for over 10 years on a weekly basis.

I'm sure I' will find an appropriate salon. Thanks for your comments.

Last edited by Larimergirl; 04-06-2008 at 01:12 PM.

Old 04-06-2008, 01:58 PM   #5
    sunshine12
    Inactive
    (female)

sunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB User

Well I do know that you can apply Vicks to your ingrown nail and it will help a lot with the pain. At least in a pinch you can try that till you have your nail removed. My Podiatrist told me that one before I had him remove it when I was going away for a trip and wouldn't see him for a bit. It worked!
    [I] been there so I know how it hurts. It took a year for my nail to grow back on my big toe.

Closed Thread