It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board

• 13 month old started waking up at night, What do I do??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-09-2008, 06:49 AM   #1
    sum1sgirl155
    (female)

sum1sgirl155 HB User
    13 month old started waking up at night, What do I do??

My 13 month old has recently got over a bad ear infection. During that time he was waking up at night from the pain and i would bring him into bed with me to comfort him. He's always slept right through the night since he was 2 months old. He's over his infection now but I think he's figured out that if he cries in the middle of the night, I will pick him up. I was reading a book that says do not pick him up, just be beside him, or else night waking will become a habit. I tried that but I feel so bad, he just gets so upset...I feel like I'm abandoning him. So what are everyone's opinions on what's appropriate for a child that age?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-09-2008, 08:05 AM   #2
    red101
    (female)

red101 HB User
    Re: 13 month old started waking up at night, What do I do??

I went throught a smiliar situation where my son kept waking up during the night. He would go throught periods where he would sleep during the night and then periods where he would wake up 5 or 6 times and like you said when he was sick it would be harder to get him back into that routine. I would pick him up and tell him he was fine and mommy was right next door. I would hug him and kiss him but I always put him back in his crib. I would either lay down beside his crib or sit by the door and I did this for as many nights as it took. When it comes to the night routine I do believe in consistency and perservering. There have been times where I am completely exhausted going to work but this is what works for me and my husband and it pays of in the end because he goes to bed at 7:30 or 8:00, I kiss him goodnight and leave him in his crib awake and he falls asleep until about 7 the next day.

I know it is hard to watch your baby cry trust me it was really hard for me when he would cry that I wanted to just bring him into the bed with me. You have to do what works for you and what is important to you and don't feel guilty about what you decide.

Old 04-09-2008, 09:16 AM   #3
    Tiff24
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Tiff24 HB User

We are having a very similar problem with our 14 month old. He was sick with a sore throat and an ear infection but was feeling better last week (I think he's sick again though). While he was sick I would pick him up and rock him back to sleep when he would cry in the middle of the night. He has now figured out that he can cry when he just wants some company, I'm really trying to break this habit. We switched him to a big bed last week so I'm trying to deal with that change and the fact that he doesn't feel well. He's become VERY clingy since he was sick and I think that is a lot of the problem at night. I really hope someone gives you some good advice 'cause I'm needing some too!

Old 04-10-2008, 07:15 PM   #4
    sum1sgirl155
    (female)

sum1sgirl155 HB User

Anyone else have anything to offer?

Old 04-10-2008, 07:31 PM   #5
    Tiff24
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Tiff24 HB User

Geesh, I thought for sure someone would have some advice. This is what I've been doing the past few days for naps and bedtime... I tried just sitting next to his bed 'til he fell asleep but after a few minutes he would look to make sure I was still there and he just would not go to sleep. So, I just started cuddling for a few minutes, (standing, I didn't lay down with him) told him it was night night time, said "I love you" and kissed him, layed him down and walked out. He cried for a few minutes the first night I did this, which BROKE MY HEART, but he really hasn't cried much after that. Since he started putting himself to sleep again we haven't had any problems with him crying at night. My advice would be to try to let him put himself to sleep. It sounds like he has made this a habit and he just like's the company when he wakes up.

Old 04-10-2008, 08:28 PM   #6
    befer70
    (female)

befer70 HB User

Hi ladies,

we've had a very similar situation not too long ago, ear infections, and to top it off, a trip to the east coast, visiting grandma, who wouldn't let her cry...
    After what seemed like an eternity (about 6 weeks), I'd finally had it. I just needed some sleep! I was a Zombie walking around, forgetting everything (literally), and being very moody. I told my husband I couldn't get up at night anymore, make her stop cry, sit with her for 2hours, and carefully try to put her back in her crib, only to have her wake up screaming again.
    Whether it works for you or not, I don't know, but let it be told, we toughed it out and have not had a crying baby for 4+ months!! So this is what we did:
    1. night: He wakes up, you go in. You make sure he's not physically hurting or has a fever of course. You tell him mommy is here and that everything is ok. You can comfort him any way you like, but DO NOT TAKE HIM OUT OF HIS CRIB/BED!! Whatever you do, he needs to stay in there. Stay with him for a little bit (sit on a chair, on the floor etc.) If he cries when you leave, tell him that you love him, give him a kiss and leave. He will scream his head off, for a while, but generally I'd advise you not to go back in again, unless he does something crazy like throwing up or something like that.
    2. night: He cries, you go in. Do the same as last night, but make sure you stay for a shorter period of time.
    3. night: he cries, you go in. Just tell him that mommy/daddy is here, that you love him, give him a kiss and LEAVE!
    If you need more than three nights, whatever you do, don't start taking him out of his crib or talk too much to him!

I swear to you, it took us 3 nights and she was done screaming. She still wakes up of course and cries for a little bit sometimes, but goes right back to sleep once she's found her pacifier and blanky. Now she sleeps from about 8pm till 7/7:30am and knows how to put herself to sleep after we've done our routine of bath, milk, story, songs and a little bit of sitting with her when the lights are out. I love it and you will too, BUT it is heart wrenching to hear them scream mommy and cry so hard while you're training him.

Let me know how it goes and the best of luck to you! Be strong!

Befer70

Old 04-10-2008, 09:38 PM   #7
    mcr285
    Inactive
    (female)

mcr285 HB Usermcr285 HB User

honestly, the very best thing you can do for your baby is let him cry it out. make sure he is dry and that there isn't any other problem, then give him a love and leave the room.

i had to go through this with my daughter several times because we stayed a lot with my parents when my dad was sick with cancer, and i wasn't allowed to let my daughter cry at their house. she got VERY spoiled!!! every time we went back home, she only wanted to sleep in my bed! i tried all the other methods but nothing worked until i let her cry it out.

it is heartbreaking at first, but if you are consistent, it will only take a couple nights at the most and he'll start sleeping through the night again.

Last edited by mcr285; 04-10-2008 at 09:42 PM.

Old 04-11-2008, 06:33 PM   #8
    justpeach
    (female)

justpeach HB User

we've gone thru a pretty similiar situation with my 14mo old ds. i think the most important thing is to NOT pick him up out of his crib. if ds wakes in the night, i always give him a few minutes to settle himself back to sleep or find his binky. if after a few he is still crying, i will go into his room & hug him(he is usually standing in his crib wailing), tell him I love him & tell him to go back to sleep. i'll then set him down & wrap his blanket around him(not really wrap, just kinda drap it over his shoulders, kwim?) and pat his back for about a minute. he always just lays forward & goes right back to sleep. i do the process pretty quickly and am in & out in under a minute now(when we first started this, we spent a little longer with him). we've gone from having to do this everynight, to having to do it 1x per week if that. hope that helps some.

Closed Thread