It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board

• Please help...I'm 31, what material is best for a new hip replacement?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-06-2008, 02:44 PM   #16
    Silver Swan
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Silver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB User
    Re: Please help...I'm 31, what material is best for a new hip replacement?

To those who wonder when it is time to get a total hip replacement -
    I think it is like falling in love - you will know when the time has come!

Shirley H.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-06-2008, 06:25 PM   #17
    Larimergirl
    Veteran
    (female)

Larimergirl HB UserLarimergirl HB UserLarimergirl HB User

Needed a smile--thanks!

Old 03-07-2008, 01:37 AM   #18
    Liquidnice
    (female)

Liquidnice HB User

I'm not sure, I'm the most indecisive person I know. Unfortunately, I am a perfectionist, and as I learned in my psychology classes...finally a reason for why I cannot make up my mind most of the time...I am scared of making the wrong decision.

Today I decided to get up and clean the house, becuase I thought that I was pretty good during the day, however, it kicked in after about 15 min.; that I have pain. I guess for the past 7 or 8 mo I have sat a lot...a lot more than I thought. (My husband so nicely confirmed this for me..ha) I finally realized it when I got up and really cleaned today...all day. I had to keep sitting down and taking a break every 10 or 15 min. However, I'm not sure if that means it's time or not.

See what I mean? My brain keeps going back and forth. I feel that there will be too many limitations put on my life at a young age, I guess. I still want to be able to dance, and bend over to touch my toes, cross my legs, breast stroke, frog kick, turn my legs inward and outward, and run to my kids if they need me in an emergency. Are any of these possible after a THR? Are all of them possible?

Anyone??

Old 03-07-2008, 06:29 PM   #19
    Larimergirl
    Veteran
    (female)

Don't beat yourself up too much--this is major surgery. I asked the question about mobility a little big ago and got a few encouraging answers. But it's still scary. If you read through this board, there are lots of encouraging stories about improved ability to walk, dance, some people even seem to do yoga, and some pretty challenging sports,

But, like you, I can't stand the idea of not being being able to get out and about--because now I know that even with pain, I'm really independent and can do most things (except tie shoes easily, sleep without pain, walk as far as I want, walk without limping, etc>........

What does your family say?

Old 03-07-2008, 06:59 PM   #20
    abbynormal
    Inactive
    (male)

abbynormal HB User

My suggestion is find the Ortho surgeon you are most comfortable and confident in and he will make the best overall decision. Mine had several types of joints on hand knowing that when he got "under the hood" that he may have to use different kinds depending on the bone structure of my pelvis and what the surgery was going to allow for. I do know he did not get to use the all stainless cup as he wanted to because he had to shape the cup some.

Old 03-08-2008, 11:52 PM   #21
    Liquidnice
    (female)

Liquidnice HB User

As far as family goes, most feel that I should do it. They feel that I should at least give my children the most mobile mom now while they are so young, that way...even if I am in a wheel chair due to failures in 30 plus yrs or so, they will understand, and I would have had the ability to race them if they want, or hold them in my lap on my right leg...or is that not possible afterwards? Not sure about that one.

Right now, I feel that I have a very skilled surgeon, especially for the damage that he has to repair. He still wants to use the ceramic and cross linked poly cup, he really didn't want to give me a squeaking hip (ceramic on ceramic)...he said this over and over. However, from my reading, the squeaking hips are 1 in 2500. He also still didn't seem to want to do the metal on metal. When I asked about the ceramic head on metal cup, he explained that they are very new here (US) and not available to everyone. He said something about the FDA not approving them for use quite yet to everyone. They were not available to him yet. I am still very adamant about not getting the cross linked poly due to the research (success rate, bone deterioration). Especially since my major problem is bone deterioration. I don't want to add fuel to the fire.

I am just analyzing each day right now. How many times I twist, pull, pop, pinch, throb...things like that. Also, how much of the day that I feel good. And just praying for guidance right now.

Old 03-09-2008, 10:09 AM   #22
    Larimergirl
    Veteran
    (female)

Re: Please help...I'm 31, what material is best

I think you will make the right decision--you are doing the right things to evaluate--in the end you will have to be still and listen to your inner voice. Ultimately you will know what to do. Making the decision is the hardest step, sometimes (at least it is for me), then once the decision is made you will be able to determine what needs to be done. One of the biggest worries is that we'll be limited for life--but I don't think that has to be the case. It seems like the most limitations are the first 6 months after surgery and that most people can work themselves back into activities they like w/some adjustments.

Might help to get some comments for those with kids and how they were able to handle them/run with them after surgery. You might not be able to run with them--but maybe you will be able to walk really fast!!!!

Anyone with kids/grandkids have any comments?

Old 03-10-2008, 01:41 PM   #23
    Liquidnice
    (female)

Liquidnice HB User

My husband keeps asking me if I'm going to do it or not because he has to put in for leave soon if I am. Last night after putting live rock into one of our aquariums rotating back and forth I did something that made it impossible for me to move my leg. I stood there for a sec wondering what to do, go right, go left, finally I took all of my weight off of it for a minute or two, then I was able to bear weight and turn my body with my leg again, it was very strange. I'm not sure if it was out of socket or not. It pops in and out every once in a while, but the ligaments (what's left of them) stretch it in and out. This was different because I didn't feel a pop or anything.

I was at the decision to not do it, because I felt that I could bear through the pain for a little longer, however, if I am going to start teaching again; I'm not sure that I can have this happen in the middle of a lesson. Let alone the pinching nerve or pop where it drops you and you literally yelp in pain from the quick jerk of pain. Still, waiting for that complete feeling of peace with one decision or another. There have been many songs while I have been driving on the Christian station about not being afraid, I keep wondering if he's trying to tell me something...I will try to keep silent enough to listen...it's had cuz I'm a talker...hehe

Old 03-10-2008, 02:49 PM   #24
    Larimergirl
    Veteran
    (female)

I'm right with you......I'm a talker too and tend to overthink. And I haven't even had my consultation yet!!! (It's a little more than 2 1/2 weeks away).

I go back and forth--I know I can stand pain most days then I have a night where I'm jolted awake and/or can't go to sleep because of the pain and I think, is this any way to live? Then, I think about limitations etc...again, thinking way too much. And then I think Silverswan is probably right--you just know......

However, I've had grab bars put in my bathrooms and am having a new handrail put in my stairwell so that I'll have railings on both sides and, I found these great shaker style armchairs for my regular desk and my computer desk........all things I will need after surgery, but that I can also use anyway. (the chairs were on sale and so I had to get two.......)

Old 03-11-2008, 12:09 PM   #25
    dyton
    (male)

dyton HB User

I am a 34 year old that has recently had both my hips replaced. (Rt Aug 07, Lt Feb 08) After discussion with my surgeon, he recommended metal on metal (Zimmer w/ DURON cup).
    Although I am early on in my recovery process, I have not complaints. Several years ago, I discovered I had bilateral acitabular hip dysplasia. I just thought it was simple arthritis and took medications prescribed by my doctors. Upon the initial discovery, I went to physical therapy and was told to avoid high impact exercise. After lots of swimming and cycling, there was decreased pain because I had increased my strength.
    In 2006 I moved to Ohio form Arizona and after about six months the pain came back, but this time it was more severe. I assume it was due to the climate since I have spent most of my life in the South West. After about a year, I finally decided to pursue surgery. I work in the medical field; it was easy to get opinions from various sources. (Orthopedics, Physical Therapy, Radiology) I did additional research on my own and talked to people that had hip replacements. I my case, it was simply a matter of when and not if it would happen.
    My surgeon recommended metal on metal due to my age and activity level. Although my native hip sockets were extremely shallow, he was able to place both the largest cup and ball that Zimmer makes. Both joints were done without glue. As a result, the recovery process is a bit longer, but according to my surgeon, it was a better choice in my case because of my age.
    As of now, I am feeling great. The only down side I have noticed so far is that some of my pants don’t fit the same because I am one inch taller now. Hope this helps.

Old 04-10-2008, 02:43 AM   #26
    deborah8613
    (female)

deborah8613 HB User

I am a 46 year old single mom. My only child just turned 9 years old last week. I am looking forward to having this surgery because it will allow me to "keep up" with him. At present, I can't walk very far or for long periods of time without stopping, even with a cane. As a result, my son I feel is missing out on some really great times with me. Before I was diagnosed with Osteoarthritis, I was a walker, and always on the move. I am soon to have my surgery. My initial consult will be in the next few weeks. I had some other issues to deal with first which have been addressed and resolved. So if anyone has any pointers for me regarding making my recovery the best it could be I would appreciate it. I hear that the recovery time is a few months.

Last edited by deborah8613; 04-10-2008 at 02:45 AM.

Old 04-11-2008, 12:07 PM   #27
    Silver Swan
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Silver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB User

Dear Deborah8613:

During your recovery from hip surgery, I would think that your 9 year old son is at a very helpful age and can assist you in making meals.

I found that a tray on my walker would have been helpful in carrying dishes and such. I did get a tray, but the order was delayed and I learned to function without the tray! But if there is a next time on the other hip, I already have the walker and tray and it will help a lot.

I live alone, so have found the following dressing aids to be essential:

dressing stick
    long handled shoe horn
    sock donner
    reacher
    elastic shoe laces

I am more than 4 months away from surgery and still use these and also used the sock donner and shoe horn before surgery.

For getting in and out of bed, I found the leg lifter, and a small side rail at the head of the bed, absolutely necessary. I could not sit up in bed using just my mid body muscles. I purchased these at a local medical supply store while I was in the rehab center. They are wonderful.

Because you won't be able to drive right away, you need to stock up on food for the freezer and pantry. I figured that a six week supply would be about right, and it was. Now that gas has gotten so expensive I plan to keep more food on hand to save trips to the grocery.

You will probaby be doing the leg exercises on your bed and you won't need any assistance with those. You can start doing those now and that will help strengthen your leg and buttock muscles.

Put a big plastic bag on your driver seat in the car to help you slide into the seat. After the surgery when you start driving, a pillow on the seat will help put your hips higher than your knees, which is important to avoid dislocating the new hip. I also have a little round pillow in the scoop of the sort of bucket seat.

Shirley H.

Old 04-12-2008, 08:45 AM   #28
    deborah8613
    (female)

deborah8613 HB User

Hi Shirley,

Thanks so much for the encouragement and tips. I have been reading the threads by others and see that although I have made up my mind to finally have this surgery, there is still soooooo much to learn. I am also encouraged and the more I read everyones posts, I am convinced that I am making the right decision and am looking forward to a better quality of life. I know that recovery is slow, but to know that I will be able to keep up with my son is worth it. Now my next issue is to bone up on the various types of replacements.

Old 04-12-2008, 09:43 AM   #29
    Silver Swan
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hi Deborah:

I forgot an important point - I laid in several large boxes of non fat dry milk to tide me over during the post surgery weeks. I have used that for years so that I don't have to go to the store often for liquid milk. When mixed up per formula on the box, and put in the refrigerator, it tastes the same as liquid skim milk. Since you have a 9 year old boy, the milk consumption might be crucial during the time you can't drive to the grocery store.
    I had my surgery December 12, and today I used the cane at the grocery store for the first time, having used the walker up to today. I walk around at home a lot with neither walker nor cane. You are so much younger than I that your recovery will probably take much less time. I am 78, kiddo! I had no medical problems with the new hip during this recovery period. Yes, I would do it again!

Shirley H.

Old 04-12-2008, 09:03 PM   #30
    Larimergirl
    Veteran
    (female)

Deborah:

I just got some materials from my doctor's office and, in addition to items mentioned by Shirley included is a checklist that includes the following things needed when you get home:

1. all of clutter is picked up in home
    2. All throw rugs are picked up
    3 Electrical cords are secured so they are not tripping hazards
    4. Bathroom--shower has handrail and raised toilet seat
    5. all of stairs inside and out have safe railings and are in good repair
    6. Bed is located in place you can get to easily
    7. Chairs are those you can get in and out of easily while following hip precautions (armrests recommended)
    8.Safe shoes that you can take on and off while observing hip precautions.

I've just fixed railings and also got a pedestal for my washer and dryer (selling these at lots of stores) to raise up front loading washer and dryer to waist height--easier to wrestle with--and I found a nice wheeled laundry cart also at waist height that will hold all laundry instead of my usual basket. Only problem is that basket is too big to wheel into my closet (just by 1/2 inch darn). Still fits into laundry area and can wheel it into bedrooms.

Maggie

Closed Thread