It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cosmetic / Plastic Surgery Message Board

• I'm scheduled with Dr. Timothy Marten

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-18-2008, 09:17 PM   #16
    willowbreeze
    (female)

willowbreeze HB User
    Re: SMAS facelift schedule for 12/13 by Dr. Marten of SF

Thank you again for the encouragement:-) I really enjoyed my first lymphatic massage today. It was quite relaxing and I swear my neck already feels a bit more relaxed too. she was very thorough in explaining things to me and she too ensured me that everything I am experiencing is quite normal. My next appointment is on Thursday. She said the amount of visits will be played by ear according to my healing. She also showed me some exercises to do at home which will change as we go. Whatever it takes. I had an interesting shock in my neck later when I got home... must be the nerves starting to heal. Oh yea, I saw Sean Penn while trying to park and I waved at him, and I told my Mom on the phone at that time that he's going to think I'm following him because I had to circle around the block to find parking again. So, I parked the car, walked to the address, and I'll be damned if he wasn't standing right there at the entrance to the building. I just held up my hand and said "I swear I'm not following you, I really do have an appointment here". He just laughed. What are the odds?-LOL- Anyway, I'll be back soon. Take care all:-)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-26-2008, 09:27 AM   #17
    LilliTN
    (female)

LilliTN HB User

What kind of anesthesia are they using now? I'm game for local or sedation but have a phobia of general.

Old 03-03-2008, 09:28 PM   #18
    willowbreeze
    (female)

willowbreeze HB User

I went under general, but, I can't imagine doing such extensive surgery as what I did any other way. This is my second time going under and no complications in either case. Anesthesia does have some common side affects such as low energy, getting out of breath easier than normal, dizzeness, memory loss(in the beginning)... all of which are temporary and pass as you heal. The longer you are under the better chance of these side effects. I was under for 9 1/2 hours which is a long time. I'm doing fine and look forward to getting back into my regular workout in couple more weeks (6 weeks). I am taking regular walks on the beach and regaining my strength. Hope this helps... don't worry, you will be fine:-)

Old 03-04-2008, 09:43 AM   #19
    wmkcolors
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

wmkcolors HB Userwmkcolors HB User

Willowbreeze, you are brave... I'm considering a neck lift, within the next few months, and I have the choice of local sedation or general sedation. I wonder if local is too traumatizing... Primarily, I'm interested in knowing how your scars around and behind your ears heal, as the next weeks pass. At this point, I'm worried about the scarring the most. It's helpful seeing how others are doing. Thanks for sharing your story.

Old 03-23-2008, 08:06 PM   #20
    parimaribo
    (female)

parimaribo HB User

I have been reading this thread and getting scared and encouraged both at the same time. I have just seen Dr. Marten for a consult for SMAS facelift, necklift, chin implant, and temple eyelift and am considering the surgery for late May or June. I had liposuction with Dr. Marten back in 1997 or so and it turned out beautifully. I want to ensure that I am still selecting the best PS for the face. Have any of you heard or consulted with Dr. Carolyn Chang in SF? She is also supposed to be excellent.

The consult with Dr. Marten was wonderful. He is just as nice and refreshing as he was in 1997.

AliAyson/willowbreeze? - how are you with the results now?

I'm worried about the chin implant; I hadn't even thought of it myself but Dr. Marten suggested it for me. It sounds like it does work with no complications if put in by an expert.

Old 04-04-2008, 03:28 PM   #21
    sosad08
    (female)

sosad08 HB User

I have several points to make for you to think about in general and specifically about my experience with Dr. Marten.

My experience: Yes. Dr. Marten is charming, engaging and intelligent. However, as with you, he also suggested and encouraged me to have procedures done that I had not thought about before I came into his office. And, I did them. And, I DEEPLY REGRET. More than deeply...it has been completely truned my life upside down. I am so saddened. I feel that he took away my beauty. I feel the proportions on my face are significantly less attractive than what I began with. Thinking back, I am so disappointed in myself and appalled that I was in such a vulnerable state to let that happen.

Secondly, and in general...if you are scared, I believe that tells you something about your comfort level with the procedures (clearly then, you are not comfortable) or perhaps you are not comfortable with this plastic surgeon. I strongly encourage you to seek another expert facial surgeon before proceeding.

Thirdly...I had a facelift performed by Dr. Marten . I feel it was truly a traumatic experience (It would be with any doctor, I suppose) So, my advice it that for ANY procedures, you better be sure you want them, before you do it. I feel I was too young...and didn't have anything to "lift." I feel it was a restructuring and am appalled that he recommended it for me.

Finally, in general...some plastic surgeons care more about making money. It is up to you to determine whether this applies to Dr. Marten. Some post-care nurses gave me the "real" scoop on the plastic surgery business. Too bad it was too late for me.

Last edited by sosad08; 04-04-2008 at 10:42 PM. Reason: Much more for you...

Old 04-05-2008, 05:38 PM   #22
    sosad08
    (female)

sosad08 HB User

For anyone else who is interested, I had a horrendous experience with Dr. Marten. The surgery has ended my old life as I knew it. I wish I had never been referred to him and met him.

Old 04-05-2008, 08:55 PM   #23
    parimaribo
    (female)

parimaribo HB User

Thank you for the information. I am very saddened to hear of your experience. Can you say if you had a SMAS facelift and other procedures and are unhappy with all? Do you think he performed them poorly and/or did not share your same vision for what the outcome should have been? Do you feel as if he talked you into procedures that you were too young for?

I am 51 and do need this but did not even consider a chin implant until he suggested it. I have since talked to a cosmetic surgery nurse who said that many chin implant patients have nerve damage issues, so I will probably forego that procedure.

I have another consultation with a top PS tomorrow. I do feel comfortable with Dr. Marten but any kind of surgery this major on my face is fairly terrifying. I worked in medicine for a long time and know there are a number of outcomes that are less than perfect even under the best conditions.

I'm trying to gather as much information as I can and I truly appreciate your post. Are there any corrections possible for what you do not like?

Old 04-10-2008, 07:35 PM   #24
    sosad08
    (female)

sosad08 HB User

If you are 51...you've been living with your face for 51 years. You know it better than anyone. If you didn't have a problem with your chin before, I ask you, why would you want to change it? Face work is not like a haircut. Its permanent. You can't change it back if you don't like it. Think about the emotional consequences of such a change, if you don't like it. Are you willing to have someone else re-design one of your facial features...when you didn't have a problem with it in the first place?

Thanks for your empathy. Wish I could answer more of your questions, but I am limiting the amount I say on-line, for personal reasons. I'll look back again...and see what else I might answer.

Old 04-11-2008, 01:49 PM   #25
    sosad08
    (female)

sosad08 HB User

Hello, again. Just another observation in case you could use some grounding.

You say you are 51 and NEED this. We need water. We need sleep. We need friends/family/a sense of belonging. No one NEEDS plastic surgery....unless and except you are in the TV or movie business perhaps...and are not getting hired or re-hired because you are aging...aka your income is dependent upon this (or you have sufferred a deformity...burn/violence victim).

So...keep in mind, though I don't know your particular situation, you may WANT plastic surgery. And, if that is the case...that is OK. You may want it to appear younger, or feel you have a better shot at finding a mate (And, even then, most often, people are attracted to who you are inside and not how old your skin looks), or whatever the reason. Just something to think about. It is elective. And,it has to be worth it to you...to go through the physical and emotional pain of watching your face be completely distorted and changing for a period of months-year.

More than ever, I now appreciate the natural contours of faces...no matter how old and/or weathered.

Old 04-12-2008, 10:39 PM   #26
    Rosemary62
    (female)

Rosemary62 HB User
    Re: I'm scheduled with Dr. Timothy Marten

Hi,
    I have an appointment with Dr. Marten, and I'm now wondering if I should cancel it. I had abdominal liposuction and a breast lift (with slight reduction on one side) by Dr. Chang in San Francisco. Like one of the members, I now question why several surgeons would recommend aggressive procedures (eg, the breast surgery left me with significant scars) when my original situation wasn't that bad. But what bothers me most is that I now gain weight in other parts of my body (arms, face) to a greater degree, and I also feel that it's harder to maintain my previous weight, even though I'm eating the same. (The December 2004 Journal of Plastic Surgeon - or some name like that - published a study that showed that most people's weight increased by 5 to 10 lbs one year after lipo, despite no change in diet.) So the combo of a greater propensity to gain weight plus the redistribution factor has made me feel that my face looks significantly worse. It has devastated me, and I'm trying to live with it, but I feel pretty determined that I want to fix my face. It scares me, beyond belief, that I could end up looking even worse. One has to just look at some of the celebrities (who have enough money to go to the best) to know that the result can be dreadful.
    Now that I'm done ranting, my question is How does one find a great plastic surgeon? I know that Dr. Marten is highly regarded, but I also know that people's aesthetic sense varies. Some people think Madonna's latest work looks great - I think she's looking like a paper mache (sp?) doll.
    To the person who's looking for a facial plastic surgeon, can you let me know if you find a good one? (And I will do the same.) A journalist (she did a piece on an LA plastic surgeon) recommended Dr. Marten, Dr. Issa Eshima, and Dr. John Owsley (who is over 80). I'm looking to have a small amount of work done for a extremely subtle, natural look.
    Thanks for reading!
    Rose

Old 04-14-2008, 08:10 AM   #27
    Rosemary62
    (female)

Rosemary62 HB User

Hi,
    I have been looking for a highly regarded plastic surgeon to do work on my face. It sounds like you're on the same journey and are seeking a natural look. I have had a difficult time finding recommendations, despite my Internet search of several months. Would you mind letting me know the names of physicians you're considering? I would be very grateful! Thanks.

Old 04-15-2008, 10:41 PM   #28
    parimaribo
    (female)

parimaribo HB User

Hi Rosemary,

Yes, I am doing the same. I have sought out a lot of information. Based on what you said in your first email on wanting a small amount of work for an extremely subtle natural look, I would have suggested Dr. Chang, but if I am reading between the lines, it sounds like you might not be considering her based on your other surgery. I had a consult with her (I had a friend go to her for a VERY small amount of eye work and she was happy) and Dr. Chang is very big on subtle work and if you look at her face photos, I think they reinforce that. She is a young surgeon and hasn't done a ton of faces yet, however, although she is working on it.
    I was also referred to Dr. Issa Eshima. I think he is generally held in high regard for his face work. I talked to three sources about his work and 2 out of 3 said his results were good (although one of those people said he was a bit difficult to work with), yet the third source said she did not like his results. All of these sources were quite reliable. I did not go to a consult with him.
    I was also referred to a Dr. Kristoffer Ng Chang (no relation to the other Dr. Chang) by my dermatologist but felt that he didn't really specialize in faces or at least not yet (but I am not an expert about him so don't really know his story).
    I was referred to a Dr. Brian Toth whom I had not heard of before and I did not go to a consult.
    All of the above are in the bay area.
    This takes us back to Dr. Marten whom I was referred to by many people and I had actually been to him myself a long time ago. He is considered an excellent facial plastic surgeon and generally a "top 10" in country. I would not say that he is recommending aggressive procedures for me that I did not request. He took the time to listen to all my requests about my face and told me what he would do. The only procedure that he recommended that I did not request was a chin implant and that procedure, along with any others (such as the facial fat injections - which I did request) that I don't want to do, will not be done. It is up to me. He has suggested that I might just want to do my eyes for now and do the rest in a couple of years. It is totally up to me.
    My suggestion would be to at least go to your consult with him. In addition to being comfortable with the surgeon and being in agreement with what you want, what one nurse told me was to make sure you look at the photos - lots of them. You want to see what work they do.
    I know of approximately 11 people over the past 8 years or so who are very happy Dr. Marten patients. But, you bring up a good point about Madonna. Everyone is raving about her but you don't particularly like her new looks. (I don't know what she looks like now - I tried to look her up on line briefly but can't see much of her but her sunglasses.) At any rate, you and the surgeon have to see eye to eye on what you want.
    I can refer you to some top surgeons in NYC and one in LA if you are interested in leaving the area.
    Your information on lipsuction was very interesting. I had this in the mid-90s and did not have the propensity to gain weight (any more than usual) or the redistribution factor - I guess I was lucky.
    I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any other top facial surgeons who you're considering.

Old 04-16-2008, 07:40 PM   #29
    Rosemary62
    (female)

Rosemary62 HB User

Thank you so much for your thoughtul reply. You're correct that I don't want to go to Dr. Chang again. I would have had some of my issues had I gone to any physician, but I still would like to try someone new. Regarding Dr. Marten, I have now seen two negative comments about him on this message board. One woman said that he botched her nose. I'm not getting a nose job, but it still wasn't encouraging to hear. I'm beginning to think that I'll need to travel to have the work done. Given that I might be living with the results for the next 40+ years, I feel it's more important to choose the right surgeon rather than a convenient one. I would love to get your LA and NY recommendations. In Allure magazine, I read about a doctor Raj Kanodia (LA) who is described as "meticulous" and a "craftsman". I'd like to go to someone like him, but I probably won't go to him because it doesn't appear that face lifts are his specialty. In researching Dr. Marten, I came upon articles about Dr. Bruce Connell in Santa Ana who is regarded as a pioneer in facelift surgery. He says that a bad facelift is often the result of a rush job. (And this happens even among some of the best-known surgeons.)
    This time around I'm going to really do my homework. I may spend at least a year just doing the research. I'm willing to travel both to LA and New York for the right surgeon.
    Thank you for any information/advice you can provide! Rosemary

Old 04-16-2008, 09:48 PM   #30
    sosad08
    (female)

sosad08 HB User

Ah...re parimaribo's last response: Interesting that that Marten is by suggesting you do your eyes now and more later. Perhaps now you have been firm with him. IWith any plastic surgeon, know yourself very well, think for a long time about what YOU want, stay grounded and don't let the plastic surgeon's persuasive nature get you off track of what YOU want.

Last edited by sosad08; 04-17-2008 at 09:45 PM.

Closed Thread