It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain & Nervous System Disorders Message Board

• Is this the same as Chiari Malformation?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-22-2008, 06:29 AM   #1
    HHJ
    (female)

HHJ HB User
    Is this the same as Chiari Malformation?

I have been seeing a neurologist for Cluster Headaches and throbbing headaches in the back of my head/neck. He said that my MRI shows that my cerebellar tonsils are herniated and could cause pressure on my nervous system. He said he'd keep an eye on it, order blood work, and come back in 6 months. Well, dummy me didn't ask any questions, and now that I get home and look this up on the internet I keep finding Chiari Malformation. I have all the symptoms (I've been to ENTs, everything...ringing in ears, hoarseness, double/blurred vision, numbness on one side of my body, typical heartrate of 125, occasional heart palpitations...etc.) So, my question is for those of you who know something about Chiari....is a herniated cerebellar tonsil the same thing as Chiari Malformation....or does it depend on how many mm? (He didn't tell me, and I didn't know to ask).

Thanks!

Last edited by HHJ; 04-22-2008 at 06:34 AM. Reason: left out 2 important symptoms

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-22-2008, 03:16 PM   #2
    NerveEnding
    (male)

NerveEnding HB UserNerveEnding HB User
    Re: Is this the same as Chiari Malformation?

A Chiari type-I malformation is where the cerebellar tonsils are lower than they might otherwise be. They go through the foramen magnum. Many times this is a radiological finding. Although it is possible your symptoms are related, othe last thing you would want to have done is surgery for this only to still have the headaches and other symptoms.

To answer your questions, the tonsils are "herniated" when they go through the foramen magnum, but it depends on how far they go.

Nobody on this board can answer your question as to whether you have a Chiari. You'll have to ask the neurologist treating you who has actually seen your MRI.

Closed Thread