It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• What's optimal for Ferritin?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-29-2008, 10:09 AM   #16
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User
    Re: What's optimal for Ferritin?

Audrey--Sound like you are doing a little better. I know what you mean about all the pills and timing is very difficult to keep up with.

For the first time I have gone Hyper and that is weird. It has been a couple weeks now and I get that retested in 4 more weeks then we shall see. I hope I don't go Hypo again, it can be crazy.

I haven't had a Ferritin CBC for 2 months so I'm going to request that in one more month since I was so good last time.

I thought you were do for a new Ferritin soon. I think I read that on another board regarding Malab. Have you had those results. FLFLOWERGIRL

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-29-2008, 01:30 PM   #17
    japlopper
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

japlopper HB Userjaplopper HB Userjaplopper HB Userjaplopper HB User

Audrey,
    By cortisol, do you mean you're taking a Prednisone type med? If that's the case, that's why you can't sleep. I don't know if you have to take it at a certain time of the day per your dr, but when I was on Prednisone, they told me to take it in the morning to help the insomnia.

Jill

Old 04-30-2008, 04:02 PM   #18
    Audrey-B
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

japlopper - i don't know what prednisone is or what it's used for. My problem is that my adrenals are not working correctly for what ever reason (whether it's stress related from the past or my thyroid) and who knows how long they haven't been working.

Now i have to take half a Cortisol tablet any time between 11am - 2pm, but not before or after. I don't think this is for life, maybe it's simply till they sort out my thyroid meds and so that they can get my pancreas doing it's job on it's own (am on enzymes to help digest protein).

Some nights i sleep ok, some i find it hard to get to sleep, other times i fall asleep ok but wake up too early and can't get back to sleep. I am seeing my doctor later today so will run everything by him.

FLFLOWERGIRL - Did you learn over time when you were hypo/hyper? as i hear people say they are going through these stages, yet i don't seem to be able to differentiate between the two at this stage. I've read the symptoms lists, but i have never fallen into either thyroid category.

With me the only things which seem to vary are tiredness (full of energy one day after really bad night of sleep and then i can get a good night of sleep and not feel the best next day). I think it will take more time to see what the med's will do. I believe i read it takes about 7 days for the meds to fully get into your system then another 2 - 3 weeks till you start seeing a difference.

Will be interesting to see where my iron is at as i haven't been taking the supplements every single day lately as there seems to be too much to take.

Your results should be up so much higher. It's exciting when they start climbing, but as usual takes a while to see big results.

all the best

Old 05-01-2008, 05:49 PM   #19
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

Audrey--I have been DX'd for 3 years. My symptoms have only been fatigue but nothing too bad. I would take a nap at lunch sometimes and return to work. I didn't think anything of it though. Shortly after I was DX'd with anemia, so that must have been the cause of that fatigue. I do remember having bad brain fog before meds then once treated it went away. Now, three years later I have gone Hypo and symptoms were sleeping 10-12 hrs a night and waking up tired. Next, was Hyper and those symptoms were feeling like I had Hypoglycemia, but I had eaten and knew that couldn't be. Sometimes a heart flutter also. I just happened to do thyroid labs at that time and sure enough I was Hyper 0.16 TSH. I went from Hypo to Hyper in a couple months. So, now I can say how it feels, but this is the first time in 3 years that I have experienced anything and can actually say Hper/Hypo is the cause. It really has never been a problem to me. I also remember when I began my meds for the first time I felt soooooo much better, then my body got used to it and I just felt normal. Now my meds don't seem to do anything like that at all. I am doing more thyroid labs in a few weeks which will be 6 weeks check up on paper. My iron is due in a month and that will make 3 mo. check. I hope my numbers are as good as you make them sound. Good luck with your thyroid meds and let me know how you do. It's strange that you said you don't really fall into the Hypo symptoms because they are close to anemia symptoms, so I would think that you did? I did fall into that cat. Good luck to you Audrey! FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 05-05-2008, 04:51 AM   #20
    Audrey-B
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

FLFLOWERGIRL - guess it takes time to realise which phase you are in (hyper/hypo). When i say i didn't seem to fit into 'hypo' i think it's mainly due to me feeling i had symptoms from both hypo and hyper. The main thing was the tiredness and hair shedding and anemia seemed easiest to blame for all that. I should have known it was all too easy and convenient.

My doctor feels that my thyroid antibodies and the inflammation is all a by product of something else going wrong in my body. He is now trying to find what actually went wrong first and says once we get to the root of the problem he believes that they can eventually have me OFF the Thyronine which i'm taking (as well as off the pancreatic enzymes and off the iron meds too). It's a T3 med, but he doesn't call it a drug, he calls it thyroid 'food'. It doesn't make sense to me as i thought all thyroid meds were 'drugs' so to speak and once on them there is no getting off. He says my general thyroid figures 'appear' pretty ok, except when you do the thyroid antibodies test then i'm at 1,300. Problem is that nobody is going to test your antibodies unless you have way out thyroid test results for the general tests they do.

Apparently this doctor researches people in my position and hopes one day, with sufficient medical evidence, to change the way the medical people treat those who have reasonably decent thyroid test results, yet still have the symptoms of somebody with a thyroid condition. All i can say is thank God somebody out there is working on changing things. Should put a lot of people out of their misery a lot sooner.

As i said before, i haven't been taking my iron religiously and have found out that my ferretin of 61 went down to 57. So that has shown me i have to keep up the iron. Then again, that test was done prior to me starting the course of enzymes. Now that the enzymes are doing their job, i wonder how my iron will fair? It's amazing now, i can eat a meal and not feel bloated and yukkk afterwards and my stomach feels so light. It even rumbles when i'm hungry and after a meal i have to be careful b/c i can actually kind of burp now None of this ever happened before so obviously my bits and pieces are up and running again with the help of the enzymes. This might kick start my metabolism again. I'm also not as hungry as i used to be, likely also due to the enzymes helping to digest the food rather than leaving it to ferment and leaving me still hungry.

The next test he wants to do is to check how fast i'm losing iodine as well as the state of my liver. Don't know whether i want him finding more things........ am taking enough stuff as it is.

The other thing is that the naturopath told me that if my estrogen is double what it ought to be that i should stay away from soy. The problem is that sooooo many things have soy in them, from chocolate to bread and meusli bars. I looked at so many brands of bread and over half of them contain soy. Whats the deal with that????

Hoping your ferretin has risen big time. You can do it I'm still aiming at 70 myself as this new doctor wants me up at 100!!

Race you to 70.............last one there's a rotten egg

Old 05-05-2008, 05:47 PM   #21
    osteoblast
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

osteoblast HB User

Audrey B-Hi! Thought I would just follow up on your statement on the other board regarding your iron. I remember you working on it, but I cannot believe you got it up to 61 - How did you do that?
    Also, my sympathies about your hashi's diagnosis. Hashi's can put you through alot. Are you now being treated with thyroid hormone?

Old 05-06-2008, 04:38 AM   #22
    Audrey-B
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hiya Osteo The other board gets full up with posts way to quick and it becomes a tad difficult to locate people's posts on there. I sat up last night till late reading all 7 pages in one hit!!

It took me forever to get to 61 and at the start my iron moved at a snails pace. The iron supplements used to make me sick and give me IBS until he put me on iron phospate pills as well to combat the IBS. Then as the iron was moving way too slow i decided to get a series of iron injections in my rear. That shot my levels up, but it was a false high and at the end of it i only went from 20 something to about 35 (think i moved up 7 points). I was soooo upset as i thought the injections would work like magic and get me up into the 50's. My doc said the injections give a false high, but if you are having difficulty getting your figures up then the injections are a good idea to sort of kick start things.

I used to take a lysine tablet then my iron meds. The lysine is an amino acide which is supposed to help speed the transportation process of the iron through your system and it also helps rebuild hair follicles (or some such thing). Then my doc got me onto a better formula of iron supplement which had the lysine, B vitamins and a heap of other stuff all in the iron powder. (he has a chemist who formulates all this stuff specifically for his practices). It was strong stuff and eventually got my levels up.

So in one doctors visit i was told my ferretin was 61..... BUT..... you have just been diagnosed with hashimoto's and your gluten tolerance isn't the best. Great.

Then he sends me to this new doc at the university who after testing says "your pancreas is not working properly, your adrenals are stuffed, your estrogen is over double what it should be..........can the list get any longer.

I temporarily forgot all about my iron and was very depressed about all these other issues for a good 2 weeks. I was crying daily and feeling awfully sorry for myself. I just felt that i had suffered enough with other things which had occurred in my life and now i get all of this. OK, it's not the end of the world, but i just felt so overwhelmed. Then to top it off i have all these people who think i look healthy. Even the naturopath couldn't believe it all and said nobody would think i had all these things going on b/c to them i look "glowing". Admittedly i do get the odd person who thinks i look like i've had the life sucked out of me. Maybe it all depends if i'm on a good or a bad day.

Oh well, guess that's Hashi's for you. I'm more positive now and some of the meds seem to have kicked in so will simply play things by ear.

As for the iron, i think a higher dosage is the way to go and to take it religiously every single day. Also you need to be aware that certain foods/beverages will inhibit the absorbtion. I was also making fresh fruit juices with the main ingredient being beetroot, which is good for the blood and good for your iodine levels which means good for the thyroid.

Where are you levels up to now? The main things is not to give up. Take care

Old 05-06-2008, 01:32 PM   #23
    osteoblast
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

osteoblast HB User

AudreyB-
    I hope you didn't stress yourself out with reading so much on the thyroid board! Things are a little wild/confused etc. over there, in my own experience I can say that hashi's can do that to you and from what they say ,graves is very hard on a person as well. It is definitely calmer here , although less traffic mayhave something to do with that . Well you have been through quite the diagnostic wringer. It seems that is how things go sometimes. At least that has been my experience. You think ok I am doing allright handling this , then wham the next two things are piled on PLUS you get a big scare about something else that luckily does not turn out to be positive. And on it goes. Maintaining stability while this all goes on is the challenge because controlling stress is KEY with AI issues.
    My ferritin, went to 54. I reduced dose to just 18mg a day and at last check was around 48. I can't find the record now. I am thinking about upping the dose a bit-but I don't want it to mess with my thyroid level which has been unstable and the synthroid dose was just raised. I would leave off with the iron but I have read that it is impt. to t4 to t3 conversion and my t3 is always lower than t4 so, I think I should raise the iron dose. Anyway tomorrow I get my new lab results.

Old 05-07-2008, 03:54 AM   #24
    Audrey-B
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Osteo - You are not wrong that it's calmer here in the Anemia Wing It's so soothing to pop back in here. Just like wearing a pair of favourite old slippers you simply dont have the heart to throw out I guess also b/c over in the thyroid area there are so many facts and figures being bounced around and i feel such an amateur and feel at times i'll never learn it all. Anemia is such an easier thing to learn about.

You are so right about stability being key. My downfall is that i put everybody else first and put my own needs last. I'm learning to become a bit more selfish so as to not be dragged in all directions by others and so wearing myself ragged.

Did you ever find out what precisely could be the cause of your iron dropping? My iron, just like yours, dropped a bit once i eased off the iron supplement. I'm back on it again daily now. Mine is either due to non digestion of protein or could be due to the gluten factor.

My new doc did say to ease off gluten products, but my main source of guten would be in bread as i prefer rice and potatoes anyway over pasta. I simply dont even have the urge to eat pasta these days. I prefer my brown rice.

I have one slice of toast with banana on it for breakfast and i might have another slice during morning tea at work. Some days i have a sandwich for lunch or might take leftover food from my dinner or i'll make a salad. I guess if you are gluten intolerant then even one slice of bread could be ruining things. The new doc said a little is ok, just not to go overboard daily. I'll speak to him next time about possibly doing further testing regarding the gluten.

I'm so hoping my iron issue will only be related to my protein digestion and hope the enzymes will do their job as having to take iron daily is a real pain as i'm already taking so many other things. It's getting to the point where i need an assistant to carry my bag of pills and remind me when to take them and what not to take them with.......

Old 05-07-2008, 07:35 AM   #25
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

[QUOTE=Audrey-B;3559972]Osteo - You are not wrong that it's calmer here in the Anemia Wing It's so soothing to pop back in here. Just like wearing a pair of favourite old slippers you simply dont have the heart to throw out I guess also b/c over in the thyroid area there are so many facts and figures being bounced around and i feel such an amateur and feel at times i'll never learn it all. Anemia is such an easier thing to learn about.
    QUOTE]

I completely agree, after being on that board (which is very informative and I love it!), I think that I should be sick or feel worse because I have Hashi's T. The people there have so much more going on than anemia and low ferritin that's for sure. It almost makes you glad that your anemic or were shall I say. I must say that the support is wonderful, I wish we had more of that here. FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 05-09-2008, 10:17 AM   #26
    osteoblast
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

osteoblast HB User

AudreyB-My ferritin level probably dropped because my dose was lowered to just 18mg. The doc thought I had gone far enough. I was in the 50's and with the thyroid being difficult to stabilize and liver enzymes going up(though probably was a little hyper then), I think he wanted the iron supplements out of the picture. So--probably ferritin down due to lowered dose, and I think because of hypo, the ability to absorb nutrients is compromised-no one has said that to me though. But, I read about low ferritin being somewhat common with hypo and I believe that they did talk about certain enzymes not being what they should be. Wish I could find that info again. Sometimes you just get tired of searching and reading and you have just had enough for awhile.
    ps-You are so right about this board being like the comfy old slipper that you don't want to throw out.

Last edited by osteoblast; 05-09-2008 at 09:11 PM.

Old 05-11-2008, 03:52 AM   #27
    Audrey-B
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Osteoblast - I find it interesting that hypo can be common with low ferretin and inability to absorb vitamins/minerals effectively. This would make sense in my opinion as it appears that a lot of things went wrong with me around a particular time.

All you can do with your iron is to keep taking whatever dosage you can. Something is better than nothing. Mine drops if i don't take a supplement daily. I'm wondering how much is due to the 'slight' gluten intolerance i seem to have. My doc only told me to ease off gluten but didn't have to go off it entirely. I was only 3 points above the maximum allowable figure. I'm aware others have said that this doesn't mean anything and the damage could still be occuring even if you are 'slightly' gluten intolerant. I guess the next ferretin test might tell a new story as i've been taking those pancreatic enzymes and they may help me absorb more iron.

I still do wonder whether i ended up with the Hashi's simply b/c it was genetic or did another health condition trigger it or more likely the immense stress that i was under in a personal relationship for too many years. Suppose it doesn't matter now as it's here and i have to deal with it. Just which someone had done the antibodies test sooner, wish someone had taken my low ferretin results sooner too.

Like you, i too get tired of researching and it tends to send me in circles

Last edited by Audrey-B; 05-11-2008 at 03:59 AM.

Old 05-11-2008, 09:09 AM   #28
    osteoblast
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

osteoblast HB User

AudreyB-Yes, it does seem that hypo has something to do with malabsorption. I have read it may be something related to stomach acid. So, low ferritin seems to be something found with hypo.About the cause of your hypo- from what I have read it seems that about 80% of those with hypo have hashimoto's. (Thyroid for Dummies was the source) He does not say however that the sole cause is genetic. But if you have the antibodies it is a genetic thing. He does say some will have the antibodies and not develop hypothyroid. So, there is a trigger, and there are theories about the trigger-Some of the theories about the trigger are---environmental toxins, a virus, perchlorate, changing hormones(preg. /meno) ,stress. There is some caution about iodine and hashimoto's-I think here or somewhere else you mentioned that1-you have the antibodies and 2-your doc is thinking about treatment with iodine. Apparently with hashi's this is contraindicated. You should research well before you go down that road.

Last edited by osteoblast; 05-11-2008 at 09:58 AM.

Old 05-14-2008, 01:49 AM   #29
    Audrey-B
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Osteoblast - i posted a reply on the thyroid board, but thought i'd mention here also that i'm not sure whether the T3 med, Tri Iodo Thyronine, is a form of T3 iodine therapy or not. I have read that some people are treated with a form of iodine type treatment by their doctor, but mine didn't mention this to me. I must ask him next time and will do a search on the net under the full title. Previously i'd only searched under "Thyronine".

Yes well i'm sure my low iron didn't simply manifest on it's own. I believe it was triggered by something else. Most definitely looks to be interconnected with everything else i'm suffering. The fact i wasn't getting the right amount of protein due to my pancreas is also another likely reason.

Must go to the book store and see if they have that Thyroid for Dummies book. I need something which is simple to follow

Old 05-14-2008, 09:35 AM   #30
    osteoblast
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

osteoblast HB User

Audrey B-I am not familiar with what you are taking. Try the Dummies book, it is great. Are you going to an alternative doctor? I think they have a different way of looking at things , and can be in some ways ahead of traditional medical doctors. But, I am also very cautious because their knowledge base is different. Different can be good/or bad. I would use an alt. doctor but in conjunction with a traditional. I tried an alt. dr. a while ago, I like her but really didn't find that she added much . She was however very sympathetic and that helped. But, with all the other appts. I don't have the time .And for the empathetic help, I decided a therapist would be better if that is what I am looking for.

Closed Thread