It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board

• Hip Replacement Surgery - I Need Moral Support

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-10-2008, 08:24 AM   #31
    Silver Swan
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Silver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB User
    Re: Hip Replacement Surgery - I Need Moral Support

Hi again meeyra:

Do you think that on some days you are overdoing things and that is when you get the pains in your bottom? I don't remember if you are working outside the home or not?

As for me, I am home all the time and find that I do best when lying down between tasks around the home. I also alternate with sitting down at the computer several times a day. I have only the kitchen counter bar stools, the computer straight chair with arms, and the side of the bed for seating. Have two very comfy lounge chairs and a couple of cushiony sofas - none of which I can use right now - all too low and too hard to rise from. My knees would end up higher than my hips and that is forbidden right now. I wonder if I can ever use the other chairs and sofas? Maybe some more experienced veterans on this forum can answer that?

I do find it too easy to "overdo" and maybe that is causing your buttocks pain? Worth considering, anyway? My body lets me know when I have done too much.

Shirley H.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-10-2008, 09:21 AM   #32
    Silver Swan
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Silver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB User

Hi meeyra:

Regarding fetching in the daily and Sunday newspapers!

I live in an apartment, and the papers are put down in front of my door and usually just flat - sometimes not even a rubber band to hold them together and very seldom in a plastic wrapper. It works better if there is a rubber band but we have to work with what we are given.

I have a sort of mop thingie that is for picking up kitty fur - it is exactly like a sponge mop but without the squeezing mechanism. A real boon for kitty fur.

I rake in the newspaper with this, and then when it is inside with the door shut so kitty can't escape, I pick the paper up with the reacher on weekdays, and with fur remover and longhandled pan on Sundays.

I maneuver the Sunday paper into the dust pan with the fur remover thingie -this is quite an art - and when I get enough of it into the dust pan, I lower my hand grip on the handle and raise it till I can grasp the huge paper. I confess that there are times when I don't suceed in grasping the entire paper, and then of course I end up using the reacher to pick up sections, or alas, even individual pages, off the floor. Sigh.

But this art of retrieving the newspaper becomes a challenge and it is better than bending way down to the floor. I hope one of these days to be able to do that. Let us know how your newspaper retrievals go!

One Sunday morning I opened my door and surprised the carrier with my fur remover in hand and he looked startled. He may have thought I had it as a weapon and I didn't think to explain it to him. Ugh!

Shirley H.

Old 05-10-2008, 11:45 AM   #33
    meeyra11
    (female)

meeyra11 HB User

Hi Shirley!

I am just in awe of how you figured out how to deal with the sunday paper. That in itself is an accomplishment! I don't really read the paper, hubby does so he is the one who goes out and gets it, I tend to read the papers online.

Perhaps I am over doing it, causing the buttocks pain. I never really thought about it. Like you, I have limited seating right now, this computer chair, a dining room chair with arms and finally now I can sit on the sofa, it helps to sit on a pillow sometimes or at least stack 2 throw pillows to help when getting up, using the cane for support in one hand, other hand pushing off the pillows. Sometimes I will sit here too long and feel it when I get up. I will try harder to be more mindful of the time I sit here. I have to admit, I've not been laying down much or taking naps, I need to do more of both!

I use my grabber for everything, fetching tennis balls for the dog is especially helpful, she has several of these balls and they are always getting under furniture. The cats don't appreciate the grabber, they run when they see me using it! It's really helpful with cat fur and the pieces of fluff that are on the scratching post, which also end up on the carpet.

I'm currently on disability, so not working right now, that should change when I'm recovered.

Eventually you will be able to return to using all of the chairs in your home, it takes time and for a while you will find yourself getting up differently from them even once your restrictions are lifted. Then one day you just start doing it like before without even thinking about it. I catch myself doing things now, that I know I should not be doing, but once you discover you can, it's hard to go back. I'm still struggling to get my shoe on but it's getting easier and I've found a work around for it that I know my pt would not approve of but it doesn't cause me any pain..so...

The pets have become quite interested in my recovery. When I first came home I was sleeping in the guest room because the bed is easier to get in and out of and I didn't feel like doing the stairs all the time. The dogs would lay outside the bedroom door and whine, so finally I just let them in and they would get up with me each time I did...the cats just thought it was all one big new playground!

Hope you're having a good day. I've already done a lot today, perhaps I should go rest!

meeyra

Old 05-10-2008, 12:59 PM   #34
    Silver Swan
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hi meeyra:

Is your user name the Irish form of Myra or something like that?

As for being creative, we must remember that "Necessity is the Mother of Invention!" There are others on this forum far more inventive than I have been. I have learned much from them. s

I too use the reacher for picking up kitty fur. My tortosie kitty has so much soft fur on her tummy and of course won't let me brush that. So I am constantly picking up or vacuuming soft tufts of fur. Recently my vaccum cleaner belt burned out because this fur was wound around the end so the roller couldn't move. Ugh. Meant getting and installing new belt.

Sounds like you are in great spirits and that is so encouraging for those yet to have their hip replacements.

Shirley H.

Old 05-10-2008, 01:10 PM   #35
    meeyra11
    (female)

meeyra11 HB User

Hi Shirley,

my name is actually hebrew, it means bright as the moon.

I did have my period of being down, that is very normal, you get frustrated and depressed but you have to look to the bright side, and that is eventually, no more pain!

so true about the mother of invention, we do what we must.

I tried to rest..and I laid there thinknig of things I could be doing but can't...so I got up and am going to rest again soon. this is perhaps the difficult part, you're feeling better at nearly 7 weeks but you can't do it all yet!

Thanks for all the great ideas!

meeyra

Old 05-10-2008, 01:31 PM   #36
    Silver Swan
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hi meeyra:

Thanks for the translation. I hope you will shine brighter each day now. My name means something like "bright meadow" and is English although we aren't. I think my mother named me after Shirley Temple and there are quite a few Shirleys in my age group.
    As for the house work - many things can wait and I recommend the manana approach. (I can't make this forum program make the Spanish "m".) I am very good at putting things off, and as the current saying goes: "It works for me". Kitty doesn't care.

Shirley H.

Old 05-10-2008, 06:12 PM   #37
    meeyra11
    (female)

meeyra11 HB User

Hi Shirley,

I love your name, I have a very good friend named Shirley as well...super sweet as you seem to be!

Well the house work will definitly wait, it's not as clean as I want it but I'm learning to deal with it, as long as my floors get swept once a week it's good.

I finally made myself lay down and just rest and I must admit, that felt good. The house was quiet and I just watched tv and cuddled the pets.

I remember when I got my first hip replacement, I was 35 and I thought well I'm young I'll be able to bounce back...wrong...so now I'm 47 and I knew it was going to be tough going for a while, but it has gone better than the first one did, technology, shorter hospital stays and being able to walk on it right away made the difference for me, the first time I was on crutches for 6 weeks, not allowed to even touch my toes to the floor..talk about getting depressed!

While hips are a bigger operation, knees are WAY harder to rehab!

Old 05-11-2008, 05:54 AM   #38
    Silver Swan
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hi meeyra:

Thanks!

I looked up the name Shirley and noted that it is a very popular name for girls which surprised me since I know so few Shirleys. Its peak of popularity was at the time of my birth, and it has gone WAY downhill since that - to almost zero now, the way it looks on the graph.

You are very brave, having gone through hip replacement two times now. I have the left hip needing replacement too, but don't know when that will become necessary. My left knee is hurting and I sure hope that doesn't mean that knee is going to need surgery. I understand that the knee is a much more complex joint and recovery from that more hard than for the hip. You have had both knee and hip surgery, brave girl!

It might be the frequent change of position that is one of the best things for hip rehab. Alternating walking, sitting, lying down might be the way to go. With a family to care for, you have a more complicated life than I have. In a way it is easier for you to change positions, having much more to do when you are up and about than I have. Also, though, you need to add lying down and sitting down during the day, in order to rest your legs and hips.

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!! To you and all the other Mothers here.

I have one daughter and also a grand daughter, and that is my family. My husband died February 2007, a month away from his 85th birthday.

Shirley H.

Old 05-11-2008, 08:44 AM   #39
    meeyra11
    (female)

meeyra11 HB User

Hello Shirley,

Happy Mothers day to you and all the mothers out there!

I'm sorry to hear about your husband. Does your daughter and grandaughter live close by?

I have 3 kids, 2 boys and a girl and a grandaughter. My youngest son still lives at home and is in college.

As for having the hips and the knees done, well sometimes you just do not have a choice. I was born with a dislocated right hip and all my life was braces and operations until finally they replaced it. They told me then I would need that left knee done, and sure enough later I did...then the left hip...my goal..to be bionic!

My family has been great about taking care of me and helping out, but as I begin to feel better I try to take on more and more and I'm clearly over doing it. Until yesterday I had rarely rested and have not napped in weeks.

Tho joint replacements are difficult, they do improve your quality of life. My knee was a really hard rehab, they had to manipulate it 9 months later because scar tissue had formed and I was unable to bend it..once they did that, and I spent a month in a cpm it was great. I have all my flexability back in it, but it was a difficult road.

I hope you're having a wonderful day!

Old 05-11-2008, 08:59 AM   #40
    Silver Swan
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hi meeyra:

My grand daughter lives in this same building on a different floor and is able to help me when needed. I keep this down to very few requests because she has a full time job that is very responsible and also has her own life to live. She graduated from college about 3 years ago.

My daughter lives in Dallas but we keep in touch via e-mail.

You have a lovely family and so lucky to have them.

Shirley H.

Old 05-11-2008, 09:37 AM   #41
    meeyra11
    (female)

meeyra11 HB User

Hi Shirley!

My two oldest kids live in the Bay Area, an 8 hour drive from here. I understand how you feel about asking for help, you don't want to bother anyone.

I am very lucky to have my family...Hubby and I are going on vacation to Tahoe in early June, I'm worried about the drive and the sitting..hoping I'll be better by then. He said not to worry we will stop as much as i need....It's going to be a long drive!

Old 05-11-2008, 09:52 AM   #42
    Silver Swan
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hi meeyra:

I think on a car trip I would have to stop at least every two hours and stand and walk for a little bit. Your husband sounds very willing to adjust to whatever you need in this way. Don't try to be a hero though and sit longer than you should. But you are an old hand at this hip replacement thing and will know how to manage.

Shirley H.

Old 05-11-2008, 10:42 AM   #43
    meeyra11
    (female)

meeyra11 HB User

Hi Shirley,

we definitly will be stopping as needed, I'm not a good car traveller to begin with and always need frequent stops. Tahoe is so beautiful and we've not been there for about 20 years so it will be nice to go back.

I had forgotten about the pain from sitting too long, my first hip replacement was so long ago. I'm resting a lot today. I have this bean filled thing that you nuke in the microwave it provides moist heat, wrap it in a towel and put it where you want it, it helps, I alternate between that and ice and if I've not over done it, it helps a lot!

meeyra

Old 05-11-2008, 01:13 PM   #44
    Silver Swan
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hi meeyra:

That bean filled thingie sounds great. Before I had my right hip replacement in December, my thighs and legs ached all night and I found that a dry heating pad helped somewhat. Think I used it too much though because the blood vessels in my thighs started sort of showing. This has finally resolved itself, months later. Whatever works when we have that awful aching in the thighs and legs. Also took extra strength acetaminophen which sort of took the edge off but wasn't all that effective. Didn't want to get into anything stronger.

Shirley H.

Last edited by Silver Swan; 05-11-2008 at 01:14 PM. Reason: spelling

Old 05-11-2008, 05:43 PM   #45
    meeyra11
    (female)

meeyra11 HB User

Hi Shirley!

Oh I've heated this bean bag thing up too hot on quite a few occassions, and had the blood vessle thing going for a while. I really like it because I don't have to worry about having to turn it off, I can go to sleep with it on. It was really helpful when I had my knee replaced, I got it at a drug store. I even used it as a way to warm up my old blind doggie when she was alive, she would get chilled and I would put it under a thick towel in her bed, she would just melt into it, you could tell it made her feel better. Sadly I had to put her to sleep a few weeks before my operation, it was hard to let her go, but I know she's in a better place now.

How are you feeling?

Closed Thread