It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Does anyone have experience with back injections?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-10-2008, 10:27 AM   #1
    kim46
    (female)

kim46 HB User
    Does anyone have experience with back injections?

I had one earlier this week in my lower back. Wow, I felt great for 4 days. Last night while sleeping I was awakened by this jolting pain in my lower back. It was like a hot poker pain.

Today, I just feel bruised and battered in that area.

I was hoping to continue them because I did get relief and am wondering if perhaps what I experienced is a known side affect once the injection wears off?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-10-2008, 12:46 PM   #2
    ladybuggy02
    Inactive
    (female)

ladybuggy02 HB User
    Re: Does anyone have experience with back injections?

hi , i've recently started getting cortizone trigger point injections ,were its done right in the office is that what you've gotten? i havn' t had that side effect i would call and ask..
    if they worked good for you maybe a second set would do the trick? i have between 7 and 10 a visit i've had 25 injections in the past 2 1/2 weeks not all in the same spot 2 i did...
    ladtbuggy

Last edited by ladybuggy02; 05-10-2008 at 12:56 PM.

Old 05-10-2008, 12:55 PM   #3
    kim46
    (female)

kim46 HB User

Hi Ladybuggy, thanks for replying as my eyes are sore from researching.

It contained a small amount of steroid and Lidocaine I believe. He injected it into the muscle right above my right buttock in his office (which I was leary about because I hate needles and though I have a pretty high pain tolerance needles make me tense up). So yes, it was a trigger point injections but I had to point out to the doctor where my pain was mainly on that specific day. My real complaint is the thoracic area but lately my lower back has been acting up. I thought I was going to receive a couple/few injections but he did just the one in the lowerback/buttock area.
    Thank you again.

Old 05-10-2008, 01:08 PM   #4
    ladybuggy02
    Inactive
    (female)

ladybuggy02 HB User

thats what i've been having done,they work but there not doing any thing for my bone pain so on th19 i'm having an epidural steroid injection i was told its the same stuff as in the trigger point i'm hoping it will work its done at the hospital....any i would call and ask your dr. about the new pain maybe another would really help? good luck
    ladybuggy

Old 05-10-2008, 01:33 PM   #5
    kim46
    (female)

kim46 HB User

Thanks again Ladybuggy. Good luck with your epidural shot(s). A friend of mine had one this past week as well (directly into the spine) and she received pain relief from it, though she had to stay in recovery for while as she couldn't put weight on her leg for a couple of hours - it would give out.

I'm in physical therapy and have been going weekly for a little over a year now. I'll raise it with them when I go for PT. I expect they'll give me another the following week (spaced 2 weeks apart).

Again, I wish you the best with your injections.

Old 05-10-2008, 01:38 PM   #6
    ms_west
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ms_west HB User

That is awesome that you responded so quickly to the injection. I would definitely go ahead with the second one and if it is successful go tey may even want to go with the 3rd. Congratulations and I pray that this may be enough to settle everything down for you for awhile.

The thing about injections is that one should have no more than 3 injections in an area in one year.

Again Congrats and good luck.

Old 05-10-2008, 01:47 PM   #7
    kim46
    (female)

kim46 HB User

Thank you so much 123dietpepper (what a cool nickname!/id).

I didn't know that you should not have more than 3 injections annually in the same area. THANK YOu so much for passing that along as I have visions of getting needles every 2 weeks. Also, I've been in PT for 2 years (not 1) - after the car accident I was also in PT (this was 10 years ago). I've tried to deal with flare ups using PT and cognitive therapy and I'm also starting a book on back pain and life circumstance - my husband said his friend couldn't get out of bed, read this book and it worked for him (sounds like a huge long shot though).

I've been in PT on and off over 10 years but for this last round, I've been trying so hard to learn exercises, etc. to help me. I have kyphyosis which everyone says doesn't hurt (it does - it hurts the muscles in my back). I've also had pain medicine prescribed by my primary for endo and migraines.

Having said I have a high tolerance for pain, for sure my tolerance is lowering daily. It stinks to say daily "my back hurts" - my husband is really a saint for sticking with me. I've become depressed dealing with pain. Sorry to ramble off. I'm so hoping that the injections help - I'm nervous about getting one in the thoracic area for some reason.

Thanks again!

Old 05-10-2008, 05:31 PM   #8
    JoJo921
    (male)

JoJo921 HB User

I recieve epidurial steroid injections for my herniated disc's in my back and personally think they are great! I did not think they helped me at all until I skipped a month and did not get them and my pain increased greatly. For me there is only so much that my meds can take care of and the injections help me alot. JoJo

Old 05-12-2008, 04:31 AM   #9
    kim46
    (female)

kim46 HB User

Tomorrow will be one week since the injection. I felt good for 4 days; the last 3 days my lower back hurts, feels hot and it's very difficult to get up from a prone position.

I was hoping that I would return and say "the shots are fantasic" but the pain in my lower back is 2x what is was before I had the shot. I know everyone is different - I was not expecting this, sigh.
    Thanks.

Old 05-12-2008, 08:28 AM   #10
    AlanVA
    (male)

AlanVA HB User

I went in to the PM clinic the other day to be evaluated for the radiofrequency burn thing and the doc who does that (who is different from the doc who did the cortisone injections) wanted to try one more series of injections prior to the RF stuff so I agreed. Think this one was the epidural block (she told me but it went in one ear and out the other) - they numbed part of my back and then told me another shot I would feel it tingle all the way down my leg as they numbed the area.

Guess they did both L4 and L5 and though it wasn't the most pleasant experience, I think it did help. They were talking to me during the procedure and she said you will feel the numbness thing now and I said ok and kept talking and about mid sentence just said something like, "whoa - there is goes" - wasn't really painfull just weird.

Rest of the day was a bit a sore but was feeling better. That was last Thursday. Yesterday I was somewhere with a long driveway and my daughters were runnning up and down it and I told my 6 year old, I'd give her a five second head start and then race her.

So, she laughed and toook off (daddy hasn't ran in a long while so I think she thought she had it locked in) and five seconds later, off I went. After the first few steps I felt fine so I pushed on up to about as fast as I could go and ended up just blowing past her and everyone had a good time.

A little later it dawned on me that was the first time I've felt good enough to try and run in the last three years after the results of the last injection.

The doc wanted me to come back in two weeks for the 2nd of 3 rounds but since I'm a diabetic and these shots just wreak all sorts of issues on blood sugar levels, she said she'd space them out once a month instead for me.

The advice of the surgeon I've been seeing off and on for 2.5 years came back to me (after the run) after I had told him the injections were helping (since he didn't think he would have much luck fixing me and instead, just prescribes for me) - "Don't get yourself into trouble by feeling so good you end up doing something stupid and have to call me from the ER to come fix your [email protected]$$ one of these days since you forgot you have serious back problems."

Well, maybe due to luck or something - that day and into today, my back feels fine. It was maybe a 1/5 of a mile sprint or so (if that much) but back to the original point - yes, the injections have helped.

And it was fun to be able to run again if even just for 30 seconds but I will try to keep a little more common sense in mind from here on out.

Old 05-12-2008, 08:58 AM   #11
    cmpgirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

cmpgirl HB User

Alan...Just be careful. Your doc was right. I think we all have jumped on that bandwagon of "hey, I feel great right now" and regretted it. Take care, cmpgirl

Old 05-12-2008, 10:09 AM   #12
    Moldova
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User

I am glad you had some pain relieve. This is a good sign.
    During 3 years I had 9 shots, non of them brought me any relieve; in fact I was in more pain for next 2 weeks after the shot.
    Finally I went to see another PM DR. and he told me that no reason for me to go for more. He usually stops at 2-3 if they don't help at all.

If I would have your experience, I would go for more. Even if you have some relive now, more shots may help you for longer period of time. So why not to try. As far as I know most people have some discomfort in that area for some time after the treatment.

Good luck to you!

Old 05-12-2008, 10:27 AM   #13
    ladybuggy02
    Inactive
    (female)

ladybuggy02 HB User

alanva,
    omg how great bto have felt that relief also what a wonderful bonding with your little ones!!i bet they had a big smile!
    be soo careful like your dr. said glad you hadf such a great day with your kiddos!

i'm hoping for such relief next monday keeping my fingers and eyes crossed!
    ladybuggy

Old 05-13-2008, 07:42 AM   #14
    AlanVA
    (male)

AlanVA HB User

Yep - I did sort of realize afterwards that a sprint might not have been the best idea I've ever had but it was just one of those spur-of-the-moment things with my youngest (6 yrs old) daughter staring/smiling at me wanting to do it but still feeling ok today.

Usually be the end of the day I'm sore from sitting behind a computer all day even though I do take frequent breaks but so far, I think the injections have been a help.

Though I'm not really looking forward to the next set in early June (since it is not the most comfortable thing in the world) I think it will be a help and then probably a 3rd injection in July to get me in better shape for a Disney vacation in July we have planned where with luck, I'll be able to move around decently and more importantly, stand in the various lines without being miserable which is usually where I've had the biggest problems and where the injections (40mg Kenalog x2 according to the report) have helped me the most whereas before the injections, I could not stand still (or really walk) for more than about 5 minutes without the pain jumping up to about an 8 on the scale.

The place I go to is a pm clinic with about 12+ doctors spread over multiple offices and they usually run things like an assembly line where you come in the eval room, chat for few minutes and then get you onto the table with the fluoroscope and before you know it, your cleaned, injected, bandaged, and sometimes having a heating pad on for five minutes before you've even finished answering the doc's question of, "so how was your weekend?"

A.

Old 05-13-2008, 10:31 AM   #15
    kim46
    (female)

kim46 HB User

Thank you everyone.

I spoke to the doctor yesterday and explained the jolt of pain that woke me up; he doesn't want to do shots this week - he'ld like to try again next Tuesday and that is ok with me. I said to my husand "I had relief for 4 days didn't need a painkiller".....

I did not know that more than 3 shots in the same area is taboo - that most doctors won't inject a steroid into the same muscle more than 3 times. I've tried researching back injections but there is such an overabudence on the WWW. And then I feel stupid because I can't retain the information overload. I was reading a long article but it turned out to be spinal injections; I'm doing muscle injections.

If anyone read this I have a couple of questions:

1. Is it normal for your doctor to ask where your pain is and the inject you? I read that "trigger point" is referred pain so you need to shoot the trigger point area but perhaps I am just plain mistaken. Also, is an injection into the muscle called "trigger point"? My Chiro (who works in the PT/PM office said "trigger point..........and I (he) gets them all the time". If he gets them all the time, that seems almost too much?

2. Please elaborate about 3 or more shots into the same muscle. As my lower back/buttock was the problem last week, it's still the problem this week but on the other side.

Sorry to be a pain - I really appreciate the feedback. Now that I have decided to addressed my health, I'm almost clueless.

Last edited by kim46; 05-13-2008 at 10:36 AM. Reason: TYPOS

Closed Thread