It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board

• Hip Replacement Surgery - I Need Moral Support

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-15-2008, 07:20 AM   #61
    meeyra11
    (female)

meeyra11 HB User
    Re: Hip Replacement Surgery - I Need Moral Support

Good morning Shirley,

Ok so perhaps walking the dogs was a big dream. I woke up hurting from yesterdays pt. I will see how I feel as I wake up and get moving but I am definitly taking my son with me if I do decide to take them. I just really want to get back into my daily walks, they were helping me lose weight and they are great for Zoie.

Both dogs are rescues and Zoie came with a lot of fear issues. Being around other people and other dogs in our neighbourhood would frighten her, she would cower behind me. So I decided I would take her to this park not far from here. It's so pretty has a pond with ducks, a kids park in the center, a walking trail, and a seperate jogging trail, both are flat and then cutting thru the park are several paths with little hills and picnic benches. Zoie really started to thrive when I took her there. One complete lap is one mile and we did that several times a week. My goal is to get back to that.

Well I need some coffee and toast or something. I will check back on you in a little bit.

meeyra

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-15-2008, 08:40 AM   #62
    Silver Swan
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Silver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB User

Hi meeyra:

A couple of times at the rehab place, the PT had me work too hard, and I got very tired - not only during the exercises, but the day after. Not good to overdo and our bodies will tell us when that happens. I knew at the time that it was too much and told them I was getting tired, but I carried through the session. Probably shouldn't have.

Before I had the surgery, I wasn't able to walk for too long without tiring and feeling sore.

I know how dogs love going for a walk, and that park sounds perfect. But make your sessions short enough to avoid extreme fatigue!

Weather here getting better. To be in the 70s the next few days. For us that is tropical and many people walking around yesterday - when the weather warms up here in the spring, people seem to appear out of nowhere.

Cheers...
    Shirley H.

Old 05-15-2008, 09:35 AM   #63
    meeyra11
    (female)

meeyra11 HB User

Hi Shirley,

Well I walked Hershey for 2 blocks and that was pretty good, didn't wear me down and I felt comfortable doing it. I did have my son take Zoie on a longer walk. I will have to work up to walking her. I'm not as sore as when I woke up so maybe I slept wrong.

I too have over done it at pt, yesterday really made me tired. A couple times I was really sore for a couple days after and I told her and she modified it next time.

Doesn't the nice weather feel great? It lifts your spirits and makes you want to get out and enjoy it.

I was going to go to the grocery store but I think I will try to shop online. We have a store here, Vons that delivers your groceries, you just shop online, pick either a 2 hour or 4 hour delivery time window and the next day they arrive, they carry them right to your kitchen counter for you. Of course there is a delivery charge but you cannot beat the convience. It's really helpful for those who cannot get out and about or for those are just super busy. I personally hate the grocery store and the lines and hearing kids scream so this works for me.

No idea what to make for dinner...ideas?

meeyra

Old 05-15-2008, 10:11 AM   #64
    Silver Swan
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Silver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB User

Hi meeyra:

We have a couple of those on line grocery order companies here too, and although I have not used one yet, they are wonderful for times when one can't possibly go grocery shopping.

Before my hip surgery I did stock up on freezer and pantry food enough for about six weeks, and that was a great idea. I still had some left quite a while after I could drive. Now I am at the point where I should stock up again. With the high price of gas this is a great idea anyway and I think that many people will start doing that.

Glad you are doing some walking. I have to start doing that.

Cheers...
    Shirley H.

Old 05-15-2008, 12:54 PM   #65
    meeyra11
    (female)

meeyra11 HB User

Hi Shirley,

Gas is outrageous! Delivery fee for the groceries in about $10 still not bad for the convience of it all.

We have a split shopping system here. Hubby gets the majority of stuff at costco and I get the produce and whatever costco didnt have at the grocery store. It works out good for us. We stock up the freezer in the gargage and it lasts us a while. A new produce store just opened up just down the street, I'm hoping when all the summer produce comes into season they will stock it all. I love fruits in the summer...

I don't seem to have much energy today. I swept my floors and now, it's nap time!

meeyra

Old 05-15-2008, 02:29 PM   #66
    Silver Swan
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hi meeyra:

Last I read on the Internet, grocery delivery charges here were about $6, but that is probably higher now with the outrageous gas prices.

Good to take frequent naps - sort of alternate lying down with moving around, sitting, etc. Too long in one position seems to bother the osteo arthritis if one has that and also maybe after hip replacement. The idea is to keep moving. That is good for our spirit, too.

Warming up here and people just sort of coming out of the woodwork after our long winter. Global warming, indeed! This has been one of the six coldest springs in MN weather history. They say that the El Nina is causing our cold winter and spring this year. The guys on one local talk radio program like to say after hearing the cold daily temperatures "More proof of global warning."
    I like to listen to talk radio and this one program is a real hoot. It is called "Garage Logic". I have one of their logos on my Focus side window. Sometimes I chance to meet up with another fan who notices the logo. We then share a few laughs.

How's your hip coming along?

Shirley H.

Old 05-15-2008, 05:37 PM   #67
    meeyra11
    (female)

meeyra11 HB User

Hi Shirley,

My hip is doing good, the pain I woke up with is gone so perhaps I slept wrong. I've had a pretty relaxing afternoon. Son made tacos for dinner so that was good!

I can't wait to be totally better I want to line my balcony with potted plants so I will have something to work on this summer. I love to sit out there and relax and look at the pretty flowers. I have a few planters on the railing right now but i want to add more.

Well this is probably it from me tonight. Hope you're doing great!

meeyra

Old 05-16-2008, 01:48 PM   #68
    Silver Swan
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hi meeyra:

I am noticing that my gait using the cane is getting more normal, and also while walking without the cane.
    This is my latest sign of progress.

Have you had some improvements this week?

Shirley H.

Old 05-16-2008, 02:06 PM   #69
    meeyra11
    (female)

meeyra11 HB User

Hi Shirley,

I was getting worried, usually there is a post from you when I wake up. I'm glad to hear your gait is improving. That is something that I have to work on, I've gotten into a sloppy walking pattern.

I am very proud of myself. Today I was able to put on both socks without the sock assist AND tie both my shoes! It's been weeks since I've been able to do that!!

It's hot here, low 90's, too hot to walk. I did rinse out and fill the dog pool, now if only the dogs would use it. Hershey ignores it and Zoie drinks from it..crazy...

Have any plans this weekend?

meeyra

Old 05-16-2008, 02:15 PM   #70
    Silver Swan
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

meeyra:

Glad to hear that you don't need the sock donner and can put on both shoes. I am going to use the aids indefinitely because don't feel ready without them. I would like to be able to bend down to the floor so I can get the kitty bowls back down on the floor and the litter box too. But don't feel ready for that yet either.
    I think everything will come in time!

Cheers...
    Shirley H.

Last edited by Silver Swan; 05-16-2008 at 02:16 PM. Reason: left out word

Old 05-16-2008, 03:40 PM   #71
    meeyra11
    (female)

meeyra11 HB User

Hi Shirley,

I struggle to get the pet food bowls from the floor...

I sorta cheat getting my sock and shoe on..I pull my leg up on the bed and lean accross it and put them on that way....or i can prop it on the nite stand and tie my shoe that way...it will be a while before i can do it any other way.

it's HOT here!

How is your day going?

Old 05-17-2008, 05:24 AM   #72
    Silver Swan
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

meeyra:

I am going to keep using the dressing aids for shoes and sox for quite a while yet. Bending down to the floor way too hard on my back and hips. Don't want to damage anything.
    Death in the extended family this week occupying us all.

How long is it since you had your hip replacement this time? I think you are getting back to normal faster than I am. I don't have to see the hip surgeon now till December, the date of the surgery.

Shirley H.

Old 05-17-2008, 06:57 AM   #73
    meeyra11
    (female)

meeyra11 HB User

Hi Shirley,

I'm sorry to hear about a loss in the family. My condolences to you.

I don't bend all the way to the floor, I sit and pull my leg up onto the bed at an angle and reach over. It doesn't hurt me so I figure it's ok. I'm going on 8 weeks since my operation.

I still get the sore butt if I sit too long.

Everyone recovers at a different rate and you are doing wonderful!

hope you have a sunny filled day!

meeyra

Old 06-13-2008, 12:39 PM   #74
    JustWannaRide
    (female)

JustWannaRide HB User

If you have kitties... I attached a 3/4" dowel rod 18" long to the kitty litter scooper with wide tape. Best thing I ever did. It's going to stay there, too.
    I used paperplates for the wet food. I could drop them to the floor from 4" up...

Old 06-13-2008, 02:39 PM   #75
    Silver Swan
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hey JustWannaRide:

What a great idea about the dowel rod attached to the kitty litter scooper. Now all I have to do is get to the hardware store and also get some tape! Thanks for the tip.

Shirley H.

Last edited by Silver Swan; 06-13-2008 at 02:50 PM. Reason: correct typos

Closed Thread