It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board

• Niacin and warnings about doctor's supervision......

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-07-2008, 12:59 PM   #1
    The Mayor
    (male)

The Mayor HB User
    Niacin and warnings about doctor's supervision......

Can anyone tell me why all the fuss about having doctor's supervision while taking niacin? I am a healthy, male with slightly high cholesterol who is now taking immediate release niacin daily. On the bottle of my niacin, which was bought over the counter it states "use under doctor's supervision". I am presently up to 750 mg. of niacin per day with minor flushing which I can live through. Juts curious about the "doctor's care" as the last time I remember telling my family doctor he just kind of shrugged and said O.K. when I told him I was taking it. Is there something I am missing here other than routine blood tests?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-07-2008, 02:39 PM   #2
    Red60
    Veteran
    (male)

Red60 HB User
    Re: Niacin and warnings about doctor's supervision......

I can think of a couple of reasons that they would include the warning. Niacin can cause some liver problems at high dosages it could also interact with some medications. But the biggest reason is probably to protect themselves from lawsuits.

Old 05-14-2008, 09:17 PM   #3
    benson
    Inactive
    (female)

benson HB User

A word of caution...My OH had been taking Niacin, for just around 10 days now. He also purchased it at his doctors suggestion over the counter...100mgs dosage. Well he ended up at E.R. the other night with what appears to be an extreme reaction. All I will say is hubbie (45) also has a pacemaker, and his symptoms were like a heart attack. He had severe flushing, he was dizzy, sweating, slurred speech etc. After placing him on a heart monitor, E.R. doc asks him to take another Niacin tab....no effect though. E.R doc wanted him to stay overnight, but stubborn <guy> said he'd come back in the morning and see the intern. The intern concluded that indeed it was a Niacin reaction, but that the aspirin he takes in conjunction with the Niacin had prevented a repeat performance. The Docs advise was to take the aspirin at least half an hour BEFORE taking the Niacin, but suggested that my hubbie consult back with the family physician and get prescribed the slow release stuff.
    So Please take your asprin half an hour before you take your Niacin . Needless to say hubbie isn't taking the Niacin

Last edited by mod-anon; 05-14-2008 at 09:20 PM. Reason: Watch your language on the Boards.

Old 05-15-2008, 05:13 PM   #4
    HubbleRules
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

HubbleRules HB User

Mayor,

Niacin is toxic to the liver in high doses - so it is wise to have a blood test to check your liver enzymes.

Not everyone reacts to supplements or drugs the same, what is toxic for one may be tolerated by another.

I've read that doses up to 2 or 3 grams a day 'usually' do not cause liver problems, but you never know.

It might be a good idea to have a liver test about 3 or 4 months into your Niacin therapy - or 2 or 3 months after you level off at your maximum dose. Chances are if your liver is tolerating this dose for a few months that you won't have problems in the future.

HubbleRules

Old 05-15-2008, 08:35 PM   #5
    benson
    Inactive
    (female)

benson HB User

What is of concearn to me is that this is available over the counter, with no prescription and in the vitamin aisle. I spoke with OH and he suggested that they had dosages of 500mgs 'on the shelf'. My bloke took 100mgs and it was enough for him to present at E.R. If it happened to him then it has happened to others. This post was only intended to help and inform.

<removed>

Last edited by mod-anon; 05-15-2008 at 09:26 PM.

Old 05-16-2008, 06:18 AM   #6
    The Mayor
    (male)

The Mayor HB User

benson;
    Thanks for your information and concern. I guess all of us are different in what we can each expect. You stated your husband has a pacemaker. Well I am not there yet thank God. I am 52 and otherwise very healthy. I exercise at least 3 times per week doing cardio and I take no prescription drugs.
    I am presently up to 750 mg. of immediate release niacin per day. Any idea how much aspirin did they say to take before the niacin? one 325mg?
    My understanding about niacin is that the only form that really works to raise your HDL is the immediate release which many people can't tolerate. I get minor flushing right now after taking IR niacin for three weeks.

HubbleRules;
    I plan to get tested for my annual physical the 1st week in June using the VAP blood test. I am hoping for even better results this time due to RYR supplementation at night and the niacin.

Old 05-16-2008, 11:17 AM   #7
    tuffgy
    Inactive
    (male)

tuffgy HB User

You should see a marked improvement in your results my friend.

However, and there is always a however..........I think your dose of Niacin is rather too high with you taking it alongside Allicin, fish oil, CoQ10 and the RYR. The Allicin, fish oil and COq10 will improve your HDL and Trigs, whilst the RYR will improve LDL and TC.

Be careful.

If your results show a marked improvement (=>30%) in HDL, you should drop back significantly on the Niacin.

T of T'land

Last edited by tuffgy; 05-16-2008 at 01:40 PM.

Old 05-19-2008, 04:57 AM   #8
    The Mayor
    (male)

The Mayor HB User

Boy, I hope you are right Taffyboyo. Even with my cholesterol being just slightly over the standardized limits, my wife wants me to take a statin.
    This might be my last stand. She thinks I am denial about my supposed high cholesterol.

Thanks for the head's up on the niacin. I will see what my new test results reveal next month and go from there. Happy Monday to all!

Old 05-19-2008, 08:14 AM   #9
    ACE28
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

ACE28 HB UserACE28 HB UserACE28 HB UserACE28 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by The Mayor View Post
    Can anyone tell me why all the fuss about having doctor's supervision while taking niacin? I am a healthy, male with slightly high cholesterol who is now taking immediate release niacin daily. On the bottle of my niacin, which was bought over the counter it states "use under doctor's supervision". I am presently up to 750 mg. of niacin per day with minor flushing which I can live through. Juts curious about the "doctor's care" as the last time I remember telling my family doctor he just kind of shrugged and said O.K. when I told him I was taking it. Is there something I am missing here other than routine blood tests?
    Hi Mayor,

I've been taking NIACIN immediate release for approx. 6 years. Doses ranged from 2,000 to 5,000 mg daily. I am now taking a prescription immediate release Niacin called NIACOR. I chose the prescription form, because it is much cheaper purchasing through my prescription plan and at least I know the quality/quantity has been FDA approved. In all my blood tests throughout these years, NEVER did I have a raised liver enzyme or an abnormal reading. (My numbers actually lowered when compared to LIPITOR).
    In 99.7 % of cases where niacin was suspected of causing liver damage, this only happened with the SUSTAINED release niacin. And even with the sustained niacin, the chances are extremely remote. The best NIACIN (if tolerable) is the Immediate release NIACIN (preferably NIACOR) or the EXTENDED release prescription form called NIASPAN. (You need a prescription) these two NIACIN forms are well proven, safe and effective.
    Periodic blood tests are necessary anyway to check your cholesterol levels and be sure the niacin is working. While checking cholesterol levels it is best to check your liver enzymes anyway. (You kill 2 birds with one stone)

Old 05-19-2008, 11:32 AM   #10
    tuffgy
    Inactive
    (male)

tuffgy HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by The Mayor View Post
    Even with my cholesterol being just slightly over the standardized limits, my wife wants me to take a statin.
    Sorry Mayor, but I have write this.... She isn't is she? The enemy within!! Also taking a back-hander behind your back?

Old 05-20-2008, 10:06 AM   #11
    The Mayor
    (male)

The Mayor HB User

Taffyboyo, you are the best! No, she is not "the enemy within" but her father might be. I love him to death but you see he is a retired heart surgeon who has is own share of health issues at 82 yrs. old. Since my wife shares his gene pool, she shares his beliefs about the many wonderful prescription drugs that are on the market today (not that there is anything wrong with that).

Closed Thread