It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sleep Disorders Message Board

• Anyone have any luck sleeping with amitriptyline?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-18-2008, 06:55 AM   #1
    melanie in mary
    Veteran
    (female)

melanie in mary HB User
    Anyone have any luck sleeping with amitriptyline?

Anyone taking elavil for sleep/ If so how much? The dr. put me on it for my stomach IBS and sleep issues. I was just wondering if it helps any of you. Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-18-2008, 07:39 AM   #2
    1sunny1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

1sunny1 HB User1sunny1 HB User
    Re: Anyone have any luck sleeping with amitriptyline?

Yes, it did help with my sleep. I took it for other reasons. I was on 100 mg a day until it quit working for my other problems.

Sunny

Old 05-21-2008, 01:49 PM   #3
    TexMom85
    Veteran
    (female)

TexMom85 HB User
    Re: Anyone have any luck sleeping with amitriptyline?

Melanie,

I took Elavil/amitriptyline for many years to treat my chronic insomnia. I gained 30 pounds the first month and 100 the first year. While it did help me sleep, it was a major contributing factor to the development of other health issues, including sleep apnea and fibromyalgia, although some might say the FM causes the insomnia. No doubt, the tremendous weight gain plays a factor in both the apnea and fibromyalgia, but no matter how much I complained to my doctor about the rapid weight gain, he just ignored me and kept me on the ami for about 12 years. (I couldn't find any other doctors who were any better) It stopped working, I reached my all-time highest weight, and ended up on disability because I could no longer work.

A new doctor weaned me off the ami and put me on Topamax for a while, but I got so loopy I had to quit. So, now I take Ambien CR, Promethazine (generic Phenergan, the anti-nausea med which has sedating qualities), and an occasional Xanax. I also have a CPAP machine, which is a nightmare for an insomnia (pun intended). Not to mention all the other ailments I have and take meds for....

Obviously, everyone's body reacts differently to medications, and not everyone who takes Elavil/amitryptiline is going to have as bad an experience as I did. It didn't help that I had such an arrogant, uncaring sleep doctor for so many years. I would just suggest that you keep an eye on how you do with the stuff, and monitor your weight. If extra pounds start piling up, then you know you have a problem. I wouldn't wish this on anyone, but I also know all too well what it's like to have horrific insomnia, and given the choice between weight gain and sleeping vs. being skinny and not sleeping, I'll take the weight gain and sleeping.

Good luck. I hope it helps you.

Blessings,
    TexMom

PS My dosage was 75 mg, taken about 2 hours before bedtime.

Last edited by TexMom85; 05-21-2008 at 01:49 PM. Reason: PS

Closed Thread