It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board

• baby to sleep in own crib

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-14-2008, 05:07 PM   #1
    fierra87
    (female)

fierra87 HB User
    baby to sleep in own crib

my 6 month old will not sleep in crib for nothing without 20 minutes of constant crying so my husband and I just let him sleep with us. if he is tired at night and i am busy he won't let my husband put him to sleep i have to lay with him until goes to bed in my arms he is always in light sleep at night. what can i to get him to sleep in his crib and sleep better at night?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-17-2008, 09:11 AM   #2
    Misty800
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User
    Re: baby to sleep in own crib

Be sure your baby is well burped before putting down to sleep.

You might try putting him down in his bed and sit there with your arms in his bed snuggling him until he goes to sleep. If he starts to stir, gently pat him back to sleep. Keep his bed near yours so you can reach over and pat him back to sleep during the night.

or

After he goes to sleep in your bed, move him to his bed and do the same if needed.

Does he use a pacificer?
    Is he breast fed?

You could try moving him away from your body a little here and there for him to go to sleep. Over time he will be going to sleep without being next to your body.

I know, I know, this is against all rules of today but it worked for me with 5 children and they all grew up to be intelligent and responsible adults with children of their own.

Last edited by Misty800; 06-17-2008 at 09:13 AM.

Old 07-14-2008, 03:25 PM   #3
    ryan10
    (female)

ryan10 HB User

hello fierra. take my advice and do what misty is telling you. i had the same problem with my son and did exactly as you are doing bringing him into my bed. boy have i lived to regret that. hes ten now and still wont sleep by himself(no hes not in our bed) im in his and if i sneak out in the middle of the night and he wakes up their is holy hell.its really putting a strain on mine and his dad relationship. im looking for advise on this prob but no replies yet

Old 07-15-2008, 06:56 AM   #4
    sem627
    Veteran
    (female)

sem627 HB User

Unfortunately, it's going to take longer than 20 minutes of crying. You have to let him fall asleep on his own. That is the most important thing with getting a baby to sleep all night in his crib. All babies, and even adults for that matter, wake up periodically during the night. But we just roll over and fall back to sleep without evening realizing we woke up. Babies will wake and then look for the "crutch" that helped them fall asleep in the first place, whether it be nursing, rocking, pacificer, etc. In this case it's you being right beside him. So when he wakes, he'll want you to fall asleep.

Create a routine in the evening. A bath, pjs, nursing/bottle, a book, etc. You can rock, but not until he fall asleep. You MUST put him down drowsy, but awake. He's probably going to cry....and like I said, for longer than 20 mintues, especially if you've been helping him to sleep. Rub his belly and then leave. Give him a few mintues and you can go back in, rub his belly again (don't pick him up) and encourage him briefly and leave. Increase the time it takes you to go back in. It'll take a few nights, but he will learn to fall asleep alone. We did this with my DD at that age and it took about 4 nights and that was it. The first night she cried for 45 minutes and quite honestly, I didn't go back in very often because I thought it made the crying worse. It wasn't fun, but it does work. Eventually you'll be able to put him down awake, walk out and he will fall asleep alone. Teaching a child to fall asleep on their own is not only a gift to him, but also to you. More sleep for everyone!!!!

Another note here to piggyback on Ryan. I have a neighbor whose son is 7 and will not sleep alone. His father has laid with him to fall asleep every night since he was a baby. The father still lays with him a bedtime until he falls asleep. So even now, as a second grader, he wakes up (sometimes 10 mintues after falling asleep) and comes down to his parents' bed....every single night!!! Now your's is only 6 months old, so you got some time to work on it. But I'm just pointing out how important it is to teach children to fall asleep on their own. Our bed is off limits for nighttime sleeping for our children. When they were sick, scared, etc I would always go to their bed to comfort them, but I always left and returned to my bed. I also always let them know I was leaving and left before they went totally back to sleep. That way if they woke up again, they weren't scared or upset that I had left.

It's something you do want to teach them early and I don't think 6 months is too early to start.

Old 07-15-2008, 03:31 PM   #5
    Redneon82
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Redneon82 HB User

My husband and I did not believe in the family bed. So we had to teach our son to sleep in his own. He shared our bedroom until he was 3 (one bedroom apartment) in his crib/toddler bed and when he had to move into his own room (two bedroom apartment) he would sneak into our bed. My husband or I would wake up and immediately put him back into his own room. Then I'd wake up in the middle of the night to find him on the floor next to my side of the bed (sigh). Once again, we'd put him into his own room. After about 2 months, he gave up and just went to sleep in his own room because he realized we werem't going to let him sleep with us!

With a 6 month old, we tried letting him "cry it out" but he literally threw himself out of his crib onto the floor! We finally ended up with rocking him to sleep and then putting him into his crib. If he woke up during the night we just rocked him back to sleep again. That sometimes took up to over an hour! It wasn't the best method I guess, but at least he learned eventually to sleep through the night in his own crib. He NEVER spent one night in our bed.

He's now 17 years old and heading off to college 2 states away. That's why I don't believe in the whole "family bed" concept being vital to having a healthy, well adjusted child. He's fine. My best friend's 5 year old still sleeps with her and her husband. I can't even imagine that.

I don't know if I helped any but I hope so, and good luck!

Old 07-16-2008, 04:56 PM   #6
    ryan10
    (female)

ryan10 HB User
    Cool Re: baby to sleep in own crib

hi fierra just wondering how you are getting on with your babys sleep pattern. wish you the best of luck. dont end up like me 10yrs later. hes in bed now but i had to stay with him for an hour before he went to sleep. hope he sleeps the night

Closed Thread