It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board

• Has anyone been cured by Clare Weekes books/tapes?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-24-2002, 09:50 AM   #1
    lanemeyer

lanemeyer HB User
    Question Has anyone been cured by Clare Weekes books/tapes?

just read/listened......reread re listened (many times)
    to Clare Weekes "hope & help for your nerves" and
    i was just wondering? if any one opn here has had it worked for them?????

...ive put into practise the teachings...about "letting it all come!" and have stopped adding second fear...but the inital fear still hits me like a bolt...be it a chest pain,head pain, giddiness or a plain old thought.

also just started reading "overcoming Anxiety..with cognitive behaviour therapy?" which im just getting through but involves writing things down & lots of breathing/tensing exercises..

after 6 months with this..im determined to not use meds at all.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-27-2002, 09:55 AM   #2
    spotty
    (female)

spotty HB User
    I dont know if I can say it cured me because I dont think that I am totally cured yet but Dr. Weekes book helped me so much when I first started getting panic attacks. It helped me deal with them better. She taught me not to be afraid of my symptoms. Good luck this is a long hard road but I think we are stronger people for it.

spotty

Old 12-27-2002, 02:56 PM   #3
    jasmine30
    Inactive

jasmine30 HB User
    Hello Lanemeyer,
    Im with Spotty on this one..I wouldn't say they cured me,however gave me lotsa well needed information to help me cope..When I first started having PA's,a friend gave me one of the books and I carried it around with me everywhere that it became warn and tattered..Keep listening and reading!

Jasmine

Old 12-27-2002, 07:05 PM   #4
    SeuK

SeuK HB User
    I also read the Claire Weeks books along with Lucinda Bassett's Anxiety program (I have 2 full boxes of books to be honest with you) and they all helped me not be so afraid of the symptoms but I still have the symptoms and after 15-20 years of reading, I gave in to medication. I am living now. I am no longer spending my time or money on books. I am living my life. I am not a med pusher at all because for all those years it was what I didn't want, but finally, when sleep became a real issue and I couldn't get to work, I was a necessity. Everyone is different and I hope you find your path.

The following user gives a hug of support to SeuK:
    moisback (01-17-2012)
    Old 12-28-2002, 08:38 PM   #5
    Rion4578

Rion4578 HB User
    I just received Hope and Help for Your Nerves this morning and read about half of it while I was doing laundry today... and, long story short, tonight I went out with a friend and sat through a movie at the theatre without having a panic attack or really hardly any anxiety. I think what the book gave me above anything was just a really good understanding of what is going on inside my body when I feel "funny", and so I was able to keep myself from going into one of those moods that would just make things worse.

Anyway, I'm not going to call myself cured seeing as the book just arrived 12 hours ago... but the outlook for a happier tomorrow is definitely good.

Rion

Old 01-01-2003, 07:38 AM   #6
    Rion4578

Rion4578 HB User
    Just an update on my experience with this book. It is day 5 now, and I still haven't found time to completely finish the book. lol HOWEVER, what I have read so far has kept me from needing to take any medication for almost a week now, and has given me much hope that I can get through this.

Funny story, I was driving home from work yesterday thinking about "floating". In particular, there is a point where she mentions that you need to be able to float through the WORST things that your body can throw at you... to just sit back and tell your body to give you its best, and then let it roll off your back. (Yes, easier said than done) So as I was driving, I hadn't been feeling bad at all, but I got one of those sudden pains in my chest. It just so happened that I had been thinking about the book when it happened, and so I decided that I was going to TRUST the book and see what would happen. So I remained calm, and analyzed the pain, knew it wasn't a heart attack and was just my muscles being sore, and just let the sensation be what it was... and in a few seconds, it was gone. At that second, it was like one of many weights had been lifted off of my shoulders. I don't have to fear those sharp pains anymore... and because of that, I know they will go away eventually. I had the biggest smile on my face the rest of the way home.

I have to say, I urge anyone who hasn't read this book (Hope and Help for your Nerves) to buy it, and to trust it. It isn't a feel-good, help-you-relax-once-in-a-while type of book... it is a realistic view of what your body is going through when you have a panic disorder, and how you can train your body to get over it. I could go on and on, but just, please, do yourself a favor and buy it.

Rion

Old 01-02-2003, 07:11 PM   #7
    NancyH
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

NancyH HB User
    I agree with everyone in that it isn't a real curall but a book of great information for do it yourself coping. The more information on panic disorder you have the less you need to fear it. I have dealt with it for over 30 yrs and I have to drag out my books during what I call episodic panic days that sometimes last for weeks to read the pages that made the most impact with me. I'v gone as long as a year without attacks. Remission comes and goes but easier to cope with.

Closed Thread