It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anger Management Message Board

• Why so angry??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-03-2008, 11:05 PM   #1
    jinx2418
    (female)

jinx2418 HB User
    Why so angry??

Hi, I'm a 27 year old female. I have been having some major anger issues for the past year or so. I've always been tempermental, but lately every little thing sets me off and I feel like I can't control it at all. I'm meaner to my family than to strangers partly bec I feel like I can be myself around my family. But I don't want to treat them that way.. I get so irritated over anything, especially when people ask me questions and I have already said the answer and they keep asking re-phrased questions, or if I don't know the answers. Even when I do know, I get irritated. I get irritated at my son, my mom, my husband, and I'm tired of it.

I do have a thyroid problem as well, but I'm tired of blaming everything on my thyroid. I have thought of anger management classes, but I'm not sure what they are like, and I'm not physical or anything, just verbally I have a bad tone and sometimes I get so annoyed I start saying things I don't mean. That's the worst thing... my words. and words really can hurt people.

I've tried writing, counting, walking away, ignoring, trying to think of something happy, but the reaction is so quick, it's like I can't stop myself. Any one know what anger management classes are like or have any OTHER suggestions? Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-09-2008, 05:37 PM   #2
    bmc1970
    Inactive
    (male)

bmc1970 HB User
    Re: Why so angry??

I would definitely try an anger management class. I think that it has helped me (even though I am not completely over things).

Also, try meditative breathing. You will be amazed at how much you can calm down (I mean physically feel different almost immediately) by:

-sitting down
    -placing the palms of you hands on your desk and feet flat on the floor
    -taking a deep slow breath through the nose and into the diaphragm
    -holding it in for a few moments
    -exhaling slowly through the mouth

Last edited by bmc1970; 07-09-2008 at 05:51 PM.

Old 07-09-2008, 06:32 PM   #3
    T4T3hell
    (female)

T4T3hell HB UserT4T3hell HB User
    Re: Why so angry??

I have thyroid problems---and more serious endocrine diseases---AND,
    I've had to take an anger management class.

First off, see a doctor who really knows what they're doing with thyroid. If your doctor does "half-way" testing---you could be suffering from something more serious---like secondary hypothyroidism---where your pituitary is not working right.

One of "hallmarks" of pituitary tumors are: adult temper tantrums.

There are some great sites for both pituitary disease and Cushings disease---which can also cause you to be super anxious and experience "roid-rage".

Anger management classes are helpful---but you need to find the root cause of your problems---and it sounds like yours could be due to endocrine problems.

In mine, we learned that anger is a secondary emotion----it follows hurt, fear, etc...
    That to manage anger, you have to realize that you have control over your thoughts---and actions----there is a defined and measurable period of time where you can stop yourself before you "go off".
    You learn to recognize when you're getting angry---'cause one of the purposes of anger is to ALERT you to something that is dangerous, scary, whatever....

If you're really interested in taking an anger management class---contact your local court system---they're the ones that set these things up, but...

I really think you have an undiagnosed and untreated endocrine problem.

Do you sleep well at night?
    Is your blood pressure high? Or high sometimes?
    Are you starved some days and hardly eat other times???

I've experienced all of this and more----and I'm thankful that I found out through a tv show that I may suffer from a "rare" disease: Cushings.

I have been diagnosed with Hashimoto's thyroiditis, Secondary hypothyroidism, Hypo-pituitarism, low growth hormone, and adrenal insufficiency, and I'm being investigated for Cushings.

There are no easy answers---but you've become aware of stuff---so you can do some research on these things and see if they sound familiar.

Good luck.

Closed Thread