It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board

• Tinnitus long time sufferer

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-07-2008, 11:05 AM   #1
    rockstar700
    (male)

rockstar700 HB User
    Cool Tinnitus long time sufferer

I am a 55 year old HS science teacher and I have had tinnitus for several years. It is VERY problematic for me since I need to hear students when they don't necessarily want to be heard. I wear a hearing aid in both ears and I also take and have taken zoloft and wellbutrin for a few years to help with a family history of depression disorders.

I really don't know what to do anymore with my problem as I have tried tinnitus over the counter medications to no avail. I would have no problem changing doctors if I thought it would help.

Any ideas would be very appreciated. Thanks.

> BTW, my screen name has nothing to do with music. I teach geology and astronomy.

Last edited by rockstar700; 07-07-2008 at 11:07 AM. Reason: To clarify screen name

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-07-2008, 01:42 PM   #2
    hoppimike
    (male)

hoppimike HB User
    Re: Tinnitus long time sufferer

why don't you try hypnotherapy? that's how i intend to deal with my tinnitus if i find it annoys me too much!

Old 07-09-2008, 12:27 AM   #3
    alana20
    (female)

alana20 HB User

hi

have you heard of tinnitus retraining therapy (TRT) i havent tried it myself but ive heard that it helps a lot of people habituate to it so that its not noticable and they will also look at your hearing aids so that u will get the best out of them...try a search on the above.....and what interesting subjects you teach.....

Old 07-09-2008, 06:53 AM   #4
    DannyTX
    (male)

DannyTX HB User

I developed Tinnitus back in February. My Neuro / ENT prescribed 2 mg. of Valium three times a day besides the usually prescribed suppliments such a s Lipoflavinoid and Niacin. I haven't had any improvemnet yet, however it is still a little early.

I don't know if you could take Valium with the other meds you are taking, but you might ask your doctor.

Old 07-10-2008, 12:39 AM   #5
    frequency247
    (male)

frequency247 HB User

I've developed tinnitus many years after taking Zoloft also for many years. I'm wondering if there's a relationship between either depression and tinnitus, anti-depressants and tinnitus, or more specifically, prolonged use of Zoloft and tinnitus.

The Following User Says Thank You to frequency247 For This Useful Post:
    tinnitim (07-06-2012)
    Old 07-12-2008, 08:17 AM   #6
    DeeDee123
    (female)

DeeDee123 HB User

I have suffered from Tinnitus for 3 yrs now. I have tried everything including having surgery on my jaw's for TMJ hoping that was causing some of the problem. But was not, ringing still here. I have tried Lipo flavnoid, many other medications, been on diazapam, been on anti seizure medications, about the only thing I have not tried accupuncture. I have heard that kinda helps. There's no cure, from what I understand. I have seen many doctors and I am willing to try anything. I have noise just about every day, but once in awhile I will have a day that I hear nothing. that's my sane day! If anyone has any suggestions I am open to listening..I have terrible mood swings according to the level of the ringing, I try to not be so misserable but unless you have this you can not possibly understand what it's like. Tinnitus seems to control my life.

Old 07-12-2008, 10:31 AM   #7
    glowing4
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

glowing4 HB User

DeeDee, I totally sympathize as I have been dealing with this for about six months. I understand how hard it is to live with. I have been to an ENT who diagnosed as TMJ andI do believe that TMJ has a lot to do with it for me. Because of the loss of back molars my sinus congestion is worse - does not drain as well or as easily too.

One thing I am strongly looking into now though is the mind/body connection. I would recommend books by Dr. Sarno and Dr. Scott Brady. While Dr. Sarno began his work due to back pain his theories hold true for other conditions as well and he does mention tinnitus. I have seen it mentioned many times too in mind/body connection work, studies, and theories.

While I know not many of us like to have our ailments thought of as "stress" or "anxiety", I do believe there is a strong correlation. I do believe that I am carrying a great deal of stress in my facial muscles and also clenching all the time and possibly grinding at night. I am beginning to believe that the tension constricts the muscles which are located near the ear and that causes the ringing or at least a louder ringing. There are many people, my husband included, who have tinnitus from loud noise damage. His was caused most probably from Vietnam. However, mine came in December after a very stressful year, which has yet to abate, the loss of many teeth, waiting for partials, and then adjustment to them. There was much emotional stress attatched to that as well as physical.

I am going for a TMJ massage next week and will let you know how that goes. I am hoping to release some of the unconscious tension in my facial muscles to see if that helps. I did try acupuncture and that did nothing for me! I am also doing yoga now at home with a DVD - relaxation yoga and am finding that that is helping too. Many of the relaxation exercises are for the face and neck which seems to help as well as the over all relaxing.

I would urge you to look into the mind/body work. While it may not totally diminish the tinnitus I do think that understanding the connection our health has to our emotions, the understanding that we are not in grave danger, and the reassurance that there is hope goes a long way to making us feel emotionally better and therfor physically better.

Sometimes my resolve is high and sometimes very low, but I am working on it. I think too that sometimes when we do things for ourselves, make a plan, and carry it through that that can help as well. Whatever that plan is - yoga, relaxation tapes, eating right, getting enough sleep, etc. helps us to feel that we are actively helping ourselves rather than waiting on a doctor to do it for us.

I do totally understand and sure don't mean to make this sound simplistic. I am working my way through it tooand I very much understand and am sympathetic. It is awful how it interrupts our days and robs us of happiness. But, maybe if the inner peace can come easier the tinnitus can abate. I did read one study that said that they put x number of people in a sound proof room, all without tinnitus, and they all after a short period of time, heard sounds exactly as the tinnitus sufferers did! It is the researchers theory that it is the reaction to the sound (fear, anxiety, etc.) that makes it worse and prolongs it. That everyone has background noise - it is just how much credence each person gives to it. As with "flight or fight" the fear makes it worse, the "I can't live with this" makes it worse, and the brain holds on to it making it harder and harder to let go of it, most especially in the subconscious.

To anyone reading this, please understand that I don't mean to diminish tinnitus in any way or to make it purely stress related. I, too, am trying to find my way through and hoping that some physical things I am trying along with the emotional ones will help.

Thinking of you DeeDee and any others out there.

glowing4

Old 07-13-2008, 11:26 AM   #8
    glowing4
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

glowing4 HB User

DeeDee, Try this and see if it does anything. I have been doing it for several days and it seems to help. Of course, mine is due to TMJ and sinus issues, but give it a try. If you get some relief - great, if not it can't hurt.

Inhale in and tilt your head to the left - ear to shoulder.
    Exhale and return to center. Repeat on the left side. Do this for about five or six repitions, holding for a few seconds each time.

Inhale and drop the head - chin to chest. Exhale and come back up. Inhale and drop the head slightly back. Exhale and bring it back. Repeat five or six times.

Inhale and look to the left - head straight. Exhale and back to center. Repeat to the right. Repeat both sides five or six times.

Inhale and reach both arms up to the ceiling. Exhale and roll gently down, letting arms hang in front of you and relaxing back, shoulders, neck. Let your eyes look at your knees. Inhale and gently roll back up.

All of these should be done gently, no forcing - go only as far as your body feels comfortable.

Not sure if it will help any, but worth a try. I am finding that it is helping me. When TMJ is involved the ear feels clogged or rings, or muscle spasms push against the tubes of the ears. These help to break things up and also relax all of those muscles. I have been doing them three or four times a day, especially morning and night, or at any time the ringing seems worse.

This may not be your problem and may not help, but hoping it gives you some relief. At this point I figure any thing that relieves even a little is a good thing!

glowing4

Old 07-13-2008, 05:14 PM   #9
    DeeDee123
    (female)

DeeDee123 HB User

glowing4
    Thank you for your understanding and I totally understand where your coming from. I have tried physical therapy, but no help. I sleep with a fitted night guard to keep from clinching which I know I do, the oral surgeon said I do not grind my teeth but I do clinch my jaws at night. And I can tell the difference when I do not use the guard. I am sure stress does play some part in the grinding and the clinching. My tinnitus started 3 yrs ago when I had a bad cold after 2 weeks the cold was gone but the ringing stayed. I have seen so many doctors and keep being told the same thing "you have tinnitus, learn to live with it" well I can't and I dont' want to give in to this. I want to keep trying to find something. There's gotta be something out there somewhere that will help. Not looking for a cure-all just looking for relief..
    Thanks to all....

Closed Thread