It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board

• ticks cause digestive/gi problems?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-14-2008, 12:59 PM   #1
    eclipse27
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

eclipse27 HB User
    ticks cause digestive/gi problems?

Mine have jsut gotten worse and worse since january. I had a colonscopy and it came back neg. But the fatigue dizzyness/lightheadedniss/ stomach pain/abdomen pain/ constipation/diahrea/....basically it feels like i have the flu. . And it just wont go away. Im not getting anywhere with drs. My lyme dr. said lyme wouldn't be causing this. And my gastro just did the colonsocopy and hes now out of town for a week.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-14-2008, 02:52 PM   #2
    datgrlstef
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

datgrlstef HB User
    Re: ticks cause digestive/gi problems?

I'm assuming your gastro ran a bunch of tests for things like celiac, microscopic colitis, Crohn's, etc.. did you also have an upper GI to rule out an ulcer, etc? I had both, because of severe stomach pains and other issues. I think Lyme can cause some of these issues, but there might be other reasons for your pains. I hope you figure out what they are, before you feel any worse.

Old 07-14-2008, 03:46 PM   #3
    ticker
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User

Hi eclipse. Lyme and other tick-borne illnesses can cause the symptoms you describe. It is good you have had other things checked though.

What meds and doses are you taking?

Are you taking high-quality acidophilus? This is very important. This helps replace the good bacteria in your digestive system and helps prevent yeast overgrowth. The best kind to get are refrigerated and have a high-culture count. Most healthfood stores have them. Wait at least two hours between taking the antibiotics and acidophilus.

Old 07-15-2008, 04:57 AM   #4
    J0J0
    Inactive

J0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB User

Hi Michael, sorry to hear you are still having so many problems. ugh!

Yes Lyme can cause these problems. I remember when I was first jumping from doctor to doctor. Having test after test and nothing would show.

I had eatten some broclli it was one of my favorite veges... OH MY GHOSH my stomach was in sooooo much pain, It bloated out like I was 9 months pregnant...It hurt sooooo bad...I had NEVER in my life had a problem with broccli before...This continued with GI problems, constipation, acid reflux, NOTHING worked for me EXCEPT getting to a doctor that "finally" put me on the right treatment. Then it takes a few years to get everything back into working order.

I truly feel that you need to go to a different doctor. He either isn't catching another co-infection, bacteria or virus or he just isn't truly up on treating this mess.

I hope you find some relief....

Old 07-15-2008, 12:52 PM   #5
    eclipse27
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

eclipse27 HB User

What meds should i be on for all this?? so far everythings been ruled out as far as cancer/ulcers ext. This is absolutly horrible i cant do anything anymore. It doesnt matter what i eat it acts up. Its bascially feels like the stomach flu 24/7.
    As of right now im on one med for dizzyness nausia. . .bentyl? i think its called

Last edited by eclipse27; 07-15-2008 at 01:00 PM.

Old 07-15-2008, 01:45 PM   #6
    ticker
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User

Hi eclipse. When did you stop taking antibiotics?

I do not think you have ever been properly treated. I agree with jojo that seeing another Lyme doctor is a good idea.

Old 07-18-2008, 03:06 PM   #7
    luckeeluke
    (male)

luckeeluke HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by eclipse27 View Post
    What meds should i be on for all this?? so far everythings been ruled out as far as cancer/ulcers ext. This is absolutly horrible i cant do anything anymore. It doesnt matter what i eat it acts up. Its bascially feels like the stomach flu 24/7.
    Eclipse have you tried eliminating one food at a time and seeing if that helps at all. Maybe try the biggies like gluten/wheat, and dairy. Try one for 3 weeks or a period of time and then add it back in. for a week or two. Then do the same with the next food.

You might want to limit your processed sugar intake and also slowely ease into taking some good quality probiotics.

Gluten and wheat were huge issues for me, for whatever reason. I plan to reintroduce these after 4 or 5 months of antibiotics to see how I react. I seem to be able to tolerate some dairy better already- things like cheese. I don't get as many massive brain vice headaches, teeth tingling, sinus/jaw/face pressure it seems.

Gluten and dairy proteins are really hard to digest in general, my assumption is that Lyme makes this task even harder for your body to accomplish. I can't tell you how many people realized they were gluten intolerant because of Lyme disease.

I had alternating constipation with soft putty like stools and also fat slick in the toliet water all happening about 2-3 years ago. There were days I though I had a rubber stomach that was full of nausea, bloating, gurgling, and light aching. Now I am much more on track digestive wise.

Most of your immune system is in your digestive track. The small and large intestines are important components of absobtion and nutrition.

Good luck. Definitely figure out if certain foods make your symptoms worse or different.

Last edited by luckeeluke; 07-18-2008 at 03:08 PM.

Old 07-20-2008, 09:05 PM   #8
    eclipse27
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

eclipse27 HB User

HEy all sorry im just now getting to these messages. I've been off antibiotics awhile now. . . I begain to have my lyme symptoms come back this week.. the heavy brain fog/migranes/eyepressure ext. I found some zithromax left so i started taking it again. its been helping my lyme symptoms....but nothings come close to help or even ease my stomach problems. . . im getting out of breath and so so light headed. My stomach kills me... i get so so nausiataited and i feel so so sick. I just need some relief. I go back to the dr. next tue. . Sigh*

Old 07-21-2008, 06:43 AM   #9
    J0J0
    Inactive

J0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB User

Michael I just don't get "why" your ummmm Lyme doctor would pull you off antibiotics and not treat you more aggresively. Seems you are getting far worse than better.

Has he even suggested putting you on more than one antibiotic? Possibly it is time you have a picc line put in?

I feel it is the lyme or other things you have that are causing your stomache problems. They get into evey part of our bodies...

Possibly it is time to find a different doctor to treat you. Remember doctors are suppose to be there to help. If your not getting the proper help then get to someone else. It is your body and mind they are messing with.

Sorry your having to go through this.

Good Luck!

Old 07-21-2008, 11:10 AM   #10
    eclipse27
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

eclipse27 HB User

i have no clue where the nearest lyme dr. is from me? It gets better tho...Today my mom recieved a phone call.... it was my lyme dr. he basically said he didnt wanta see me in a week... he wanted to wait and see me after all my gastro stuff was done?? We explained it is done they didnt find anything?? infact they said i should come see you. He said they didnt fax him anyhting...and he doesnt wanta see me until he gets all the paper work. He then told us he found teh paper work and apparently still doesnt wanta see me until "i am finsihed withthe gastro". . . idk what to do anymore. Im getting far far worse. Sadly idk what to do anymore. . . i think my parents are begining more and more to think im making things up, or im just depressed. But im telling you guys, whatever i have is literally killing me. And im not making it up. Do you think its wise to get my zithro refilled and continue taking it?

Old 07-21-2008, 11:45 AM   #11
    J0J0
    Inactive

good grief....You might want to make a new thread and see who else is the closest to you. And ask your parents to get you there. I believe you aren't getting anywhere with this doc. And to pull you off antibiotics when you were still having symptoms just doesn't sound right to me. If I remember correctly this person never even tested you for co-infections.

Get to someone else kiddo, to leave this un-treated just isn't good as you know.

I can't tell you what to do about your only med. I know what I would do. But without a combination of them to kill the different stages of the bacteria I just don't know how much good it would do you.

I vote find a different Lyme doctor. And of course it will mean traveling. But proper help is what you need.

hang in there Michael, you have to learn as much as you can about all of this by reading, and searching. Then print things out to help your parents to understand.

Hugs to you!

Jodie

Old 07-21-2008, 10:16 PM   #12
    eclipse27
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

eclipse27 HB User

Thanks jojo

Man, this sucks. I'll look into it and see if i can find anyone close. Alwell. . if i get tested for coinfections... wont it come back negative since i've been on antibiotics so so long?? Maybe it wont hurt to go to a local infectious disease and request a co infection test for lyme disease?? Idk im thinking out loud here i guess. Mom and Dad are at there witts end. Dads begining more and more to think its in my head/depression. he wont admit it and stands by me. . .but he always has a wise comment to say about well you've scene 40+ drs. . . youwere on medicine for over a year. ext ext.. But yea im venting here. Anyways My lyme dr. didnt test me for coinfections because he said its stilll highly possible for you to have it and it not show up on the test. And the tests very expensive.

Old 07-22-2008, 02:40 PM   #13
    J0J0
    Inactive

You stated that you've been off the zithromax for a while now. And even if you are back to taking them I would atleast take the chance (myself) to be tested for co-infections. Just like the lyme critters they can come back negative. BUT this is why we need to see doctors that look at each individual's symptoms along with what the test says. What I would ask to be tested for is Babesia, Bartonella, Mycoplasma, Chlamydia Pnumoniae (not the sexual chlamydia)....I would also ask to be tested to see how high your titers are for Epstein Barr Virus, and Cytomeglovirus. And other herpe virus's. If you have "any" of these along with the lyme bacteria (s) then they need to be treated. They need to be put back into dormancy. Some of these can not be treated with just antibiotics.

Start a new thread and ask who knows of a lyme doctor closest to you, like you did before. Just don't go to the one that is not treating you correctly. You remember who is good for one person may not be good for you.

We all understand the problems of trying to get friends, parents, ect ect to understand. It is very difficult. And when a doctor puts it in their head that "we" are depressed and need to get over ourselves...Well it gets hard. So you need to keep strong and like I suggested print some things out or send off for information that will help your family to understand. Hey I look healthy as can be on the outside too, but the things in my brain just can go wacko at times. Pretty scary.

You got yourself this far in getting your family to get you to a doctor that believed you had lyme. But sad thing is he is not one to treat aggresively. So time to look in a different direction for a doctor.

Have you explained to your family that this bacteria is in the family of spyhillis? Maybe you can get one of them interested enough to sit and read over what this disease does to a body, brain, ect...

And you know you can always vent here. There is "nothing" wrong in venting. We're amongst freinds here

Stay Strong and keep pluggin along!

Hugs

(

Old 07-23-2008, 11:38 AM   #14
    eclipse27
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

eclipse27 HB User

Well i started taking zithromax again. . . i've been on it roughly a week, and i've been getthing this horrible acid reflux. . Its like knocking me out. Make me more fuzzy headed and my chest hurts ext. I noticed the zithromax helps my lyme, however it scemes to make the acid reflux worse. Is this normal?

Old 07-23-2008, 04:03 PM   #15
    luckeeluke
    (male)

luckeeluke HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by eclipse27 View Post
    Mom and Dad are at there witts end. Dads begining more and more to think its in my head/depression. he wont admit it and stands by me. . .but he always has a wise comment to say about well you've scene 40+ drs. . . youwere on medicine for over a year. ext ext.. But yea im venting here.

This is one of the most frustrating things. Parents, friends, family think you are a liar and that you really feel fine. Teh other thing is they don't understand the complexity of Lyme and/or Co-Infections. It's actually scary how many people don't seem to know anything about Lyme. What they do know seems to be old information sometimes.

Sometimes the only thing you can do is pay attention to yourself, pay attention to your symptoms, go with your gut feeling, and work towards "getting the job done." Even if no one believes you. Finding a helpful/knowlegeable doctor is key. A LLMD is almost a must.

If you are up to the task try and slowly educate yourself and those around you. If they choose not to help or beleive you then at least you have done what you could to help them help you. I had a lot of trouble reading and focusing a while back, headaches, tired etc. It can be far from conducive to learning about Lyme/etc.yourself, teaching others, or just plain getting by in everyday life.

Read as much as you can. Have those around you read some basic books. This might help. A book like "Healing Lyme" by Stephen Buhner is a good first choice. I think it has a really well written beggining part that explains Lyme and a little bit on the co-infections.

Closed Thread