It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Feel really really awful after exercise with Ferritin of 6.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-22-2008, 10:01 PM   #16
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User
    Re: Feel really really awful after exercise with Ferritin of 6.

My B12 is 336. I think it's still normal? It's not red-flagged on the printout. Some of the other stuff is borderline but still considered normal. I guess there'll be more tests eventually.

FG

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-23-2008, 08:18 AM   #17
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

flowergirl--I know that they say it is normal, but that is ~very low normal~ to me. This is just my opinion as a patient. They say it is low when it is 200 or less. Your number might very well be causing your tingling symptoms. There was someone else here that was ill at 400 with many symptoms. The good thing about this, is that you can raise it on your own, and it is not dangerous in any way. You cannot get too much. It does have to be sublingual, you probably already know this stuff. FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 07-23-2008, 06:44 PM   #18
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Flflowergirl,

Quote:
    The good thing about this, is that you can raise it on your own, and it is not dangerous in any way. You cannot get too much. It does have to be sublingual, you probably already know this stuff.
    I do not know ANY of the stuff you mention. How could I? All this is brand new to me. Until a few months ago, I had a doctor who was not willing to listen to any new issues as they arose, be it side effects or symptoms. I now have a doctor who is simply great. It will take time to go over everything that needs to be dealt with.

How can I raise it? Do you mean the B12? How is it administered and in what form?
    Thank you for your help!
    flowergirl

Old 07-23-2008, 08:35 PM   #19
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

flowergirl--Sorry!

It takes years to deplete B-12 stores, 2-5 I believe, this is from memory. You are on the low end of normal and definitely will benefit from replacement therapy. Doctors usually give IM injections if you are under 200. This is not your case so you can do the exact same thing through sublingual liquid or tabs (under the tongue) form of B-12 that you get from the vitamin store or a supermarket. It needs to be in the form of Methylcobalamin, which is the best form of absorption. The common form of B-12 is Cyanocobalamin, this is NOT the one to get. You take this under the tongue once a day, I take a B-12 complex and my B-12 is 800ish, you cannot get too much B-12 it is completely safe.

I'm glad that you have a good doctor now to help you. FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 07-23-2008, 09:43 PM   #20
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Great information, Flflowergirl.

Thank you very much. I wrote down the name - Methylcobalamin - and will pick some up on my next day off. Just to be sure, I'll check with my pharmacist. She has been great in helping me with my meds and many related issues, making suggestions along the way, questioning a couple of the scripts. I like it when a pharmacist catches a doctor's mistake!

I will ask about any possible supplement/drug/supplement interactions, and whether my calcium supplements might affect the absorption of this vitamin. I wonder how come my B12 level is low - I've been taking a daily vitamin with minerals and there should have been ENOUGH of the B12 in it. I guess there wasn't!

There's an excellent database my pharmacist uses. This supplement database encompasses the results of all available supplement (mineral & vitamin) studies to date. There's a summary and analysis of the results of all studies ever done relating to a specific mineral or a vitamin. In other words, the most up-to- date information available. Oh, what I'd give to gain an access to this site. I've hinted....and hinted....I am not giving up just yet. However, I am quite certain it is for pharmacists only.

flowergirl

Old 07-24-2008, 11:36 AM   #21
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

flowergirl--Good luck with this. FYI--I sent my Dad to get Methyl--B-12 because he takes the other kind and the pharmacist didn't have a clue what he was talking about but it is a well known fact. It helps a lot with energy too, YES! FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 07-24-2008, 04:35 PM   #22
    Audrey-B
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

flowergirl2day - there is so much to learn and one thing most people on this board have learnt is the way doctor's love to use the word "normal" or "within range" , but we're onto them and no fooling us now

Old 07-24-2008, 05:45 PM   #23
    Trixibel
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Trixibel HB User

Hi guys - is serum iron the same as ferritin? WHen I rang up for my recent blood test results they couldn't tell me the ferritin, she talked about serum iron. Am I within my rights to ask them to fax me a copy of the results? The doctor is obviously too busy to call me and obviously would have called me if there was a real problem but I would like to know for sure.

Old 07-24-2008, 06:33 PM   #24
    ChickieLou
    (female)

ChickieLou HB User

Trixibel, ferritin is your iron stores and is a different test than the serum iron. The doctor has to request it on your lab form. You are perfectly within your rights to request any results of your tests, but it sounds like the doctor did not order it.

Do you know what your serum iron result is? Did they do any other test, like HGB or HCT or other CBC panel tests? If you have these, you should post them. There are alot of people here on the board who are very helpful understanding these numbers.

By the way, this is very typical and I am not sure why. But doctors frequently don't request ferritin unless your other values are showing signs of anemia.

Old 07-25-2008, 01:59 AM   #25
    Trixibel
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Trixibel HB User

my serum iron was 11, haemoglobin 115. I've been on supplements for two weeks and went for a walk yesterday and it didn't exhaust me like it usually does so maybe things are looking up. thanks for your response.

Old 07-25-2008, 12:47 PM   #26
    ChristineVA
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB User

The serum iron doesn't really tell a whole lot because it can change quickly throughout the day depending on your diet or if you are on supplements.

Your hemoglobin seems to be just below normal for a woman (or right at the edge of normal--depends on the range). When my hemoglobin was at 11.7 and my ferritin was at 5, I felt HORRIBLE.

Old 07-28-2008, 01:01 PM   #27
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Flflowergirl,

Quote:
    It needs to be in the form of Methylcobalamin, which is the best form of absorption.
    I talked to the pharmacist and asked her opinion about starting this vitamin rightaway. Since I could not tell her exactly which tests and labs I'll be having and when, she recommended not taking ANYTHING until instructed to do so by my doctor. She said he might have had a good reason for not starting any supplements rightaway. Although the vitamin is perfectly safe, as you mentioned, it can and does alter the labs and can affect some tests. I do get a little bit of it in my daily multivitamin. A drop in the bucket, I know. Thank you!

flowergirl

Old 08-03-2008, 02:17 AM   #28
    theartyone
    (female)

theartyone HB User

Unfortunately with your low ferritin levels any strenous exercise will leave you feeling tired and may even deplete your stores further. Try upping your vitamin C as it will increase the amount of iron you absorb. I would take a break from exercising for a month or two while trying to increase your levels. Having low ferritin levels can make you feel really ill- mine was 8 last month so I know how it can feel. I have posted on how I raised mine if you want any ideas.

Hope you feel better soon!

Closed Thread