It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Dizziness and Headaches w/anemia?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-03-2008, 07:54 PM   #1
    KrissyMae18
    (female)

KrissyMae18 HB User
    Question Dizziness and Headaches w/anemia?

Does anyone know if dizziness and headaches are associated with low iron Anemia? Lately, I've been feeling dizzy off and on and when I turn my head too sharp, I see stars sometimes? I've been taking the iron supps 3 times a day with OJ for about a week now, and I'm having the colonoscopy and endoscopy on the 14th, but the doctor said he didn't feel that my anemia was too alarming. My iron was at 12 and my hemoglobin was about 9.1 so I don't know if this is what's causing it or not or if I'm just stressing myself out too much worrying that I have everything in the world wrong with me and need to relax? Any opinions out there?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by KrissyMae18; 08-03-2008 at 10:37 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-04-2008, 04:36 AM   #2
    Audrey-B
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User
    Re: Dizziness and Headaches w/anemia?

Low ferretin levels can cause quite a lot of various side effects and it can vary from person to person. Head spins and dizzyness can be anemia related or even due to low blood pressure.

Do your blood test results actually state that your 'ferretin' is 12? Sometimes there are test results for various other things to do with iron, but not your ferretin. It's the ferretin you want to know as it shows your actual 'iron storage'. If your ferretin actually is 12 then that is low. It could be the very bottom of the range which the lab uses, but regardless it's low. Often people don't start feel a little bit better until their ferretin has gotten into the high teens or into the 20's.

Keep taking your iron supplements and after a month or so you ought to get retested to see if you are absorbing iron. You might not notice a huge difference in just one week.

Old 08-04-2008, 10:48 AM   #3
    MandyPandy
    (female)

MandyPandy HB User
    Re: Dizziness and Headaches w/anemia?

yes both of these can be associated with anemia. Your hemoglobin rate is only borderline anemia though so it could be something else as well. What is your blood pressure like? High/low blood pressure could also cause this (among with allergies or any number of things).

Closed Thread