It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Low Ferritin and Hashimotos

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-30-2008, 10:11 AM   #31
    marilla
    (female)

marilla HB User
    Re: Low Ferritin and Hashimotos

Hi, everybody!

I'm a Hasimoto's sufferer and my ferritin is 17 (range: 33-300). I'm taking 200 mg of non-heme iron once a day.

How much vitamin C should I take with iron to improve absorption?

And can I take my magnesium supplement at the same time as the iron and vitC or will there be interference?

Also, vitamin C is an immunity booster. Autoimmunity is part of the immune system of us autoimmune folks. Does that mean vitamin C also boosts autoimmunity, making the attacks on our thyroids worse?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-31-2008, 02:02 AM   #32
    Audrey-B
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

Hi Marilla - i'm not sure about magnesium so can't answer that particular question as i've never taken magnesium. I eat a lot of bananas and i like them before they are too ripe and they contain a lot of magnesium at this stage. The riper the banana the less magnesium, but bananas do have some of the B vitamins among other things and they are good for people with thyroid conditions as well as those with high blood pressurel, so it's a healthy fruit.

I think my doctor quote 500mg of vitamin C at least should be either already in your iron supplement or you should take it together with your iron supplement.

No, Vit C will not make your auto immune system worse and wont make your thyroid worse. It's not 100% known what precisely makes your immune system attack the thyroid for us Hashi's sufferers (actually the immune system attacks the protein in the thyroid). Most times it's genetic, so if you have it, one of your parents or grandparents, aunts/uncles, cousins, likely have it too. They think major stress can cause it or a viral condition you may have had at some point. I do know that low long term ferretin or anemia can affect the thyroid. They have been able to link major hormonal changes to Hashimoto's eg; puberty, pregnancy, menopause. The only one of those conditions i've had is puberty, but not sure how long ago the Hashi's started for me, i'm thinking at least 7 - 10 years ago, but definitely took 7 yrs to diagnose. My father has some type of thyroid condition (it's enlarged) he suffers some of the symptoms i have, but he refuses to even go see a doctor to get treatment. His brother had his thyroid removed years ago and his brother's grandaughter has it, while her mother had childhood diabetes. Seems like autoimmune conditions run on my dad's side of the family.

If anything, taking regular vitamin C and keeping your other things eg: B vitamins, vitamin D, ferretin at the right level will help your immune system. It's winter here now and it's so far the first year i've not caught a cold or virus in the autumn/winter stage. One more month of winter to go so will keep my fingers crossed, but normally i would have fallen ill by now. I think it's helped by boosting everything, particularly my ferretin as healthy ferretin helps in soooo many areas, even your thyroid needs healthy ferretin.

Old 07-31-2008, 02:11 AM   #33
    Audrey-B
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

FLFLOWERGIRL - you must be thinking about this topic way too much if you are dreaming about it. I think you need to do some relaxation therapy. When is the last time you simply focused on something relaxing and selfishly pleasurable just for YOU? I think i recall you don't/can't drink tea? How about a mixed fruit smoothie and one of those 'can't put down books' and spend all afternoon someplace nice submerged in your book? or do one of those at home mini facials eg: exfoliate, mud mask, protein treatment in your hair, lay back while the mask does it's business with some tea bags or cucumber slices on your eyes and send your mind on a holiday for 20 minutes or listen to soothing music while the mask is on, then have a warm shower and wash it and the hair stuff off and put on some nice face and body lotion and then go have that fruit cocktail smoothie thingy while reading that good book........ yeah, i think i like the mini facial followed by the drink and book myself, maybe add a dash of something in the drink, just a dash mind, not half the bottle

I think we all spend so much time worrying and doing our doctor's work that we forget about the other part of ourselves. We forget to be nice to ourselves and take time out for the mind, body and soul.

Old 07-31-2008, 08:12 AM   #34
    ChickieLou
    (female)

ChickieLou HB User

FLFLOWERGIRL, have you thought about going into some sort of medical profession or even going back to school? Seriously, you may have a nascent interest that you never knew about. You are certainly knowledgeable on your own now. I have a friend who is going to nursing school just because she loves the subject matter.

Just a thought.

Old 07-31-2008, 08:15 AM   #35
    cathy57
    (female)

cathy57 HB User

Just a word about hashi's . My antibodies (thyroid antibodies) went away when I drank noni and mangosteen juice. My doc was shocked when he realized that my count was 0 in the antiboides column of my blood test. Now the question is, can I get my thyroid working again after 8 years of thryoid replacement? don't let anyone tell you that you will have hashi's for life.....

Old 07-31-2008, 01:30 PM   #36
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

Audrey--Thanks! That was really sweet and it sounds like a great plan too! I do take time out for myself when I can. Yesterday, I went shopping all day and I'm paying for it a little today, fatigue you know. I didn't even post on this board. Can you believe that? Your post sounded delightful, you really know how to take care of yourself. I do take time out for the things that I enjoy, just not as much as I should. Thanks again. FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 07-31-2008, 01:44 PM   #37
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

ChickieLou--Your funny! No school for me. I've been there and done that. I now work in Medical Office, that is when I'm working. Nothing related to the issues that we talk about. Haven't worked since being DX'ed with anemia. To go to school there is no way I would have that type of energy now. Perhaps one day in the future, you never know so I will leave that door open. You are lucky to work from home. Thanks for your thoughts. FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 07-31-2008, 01:46 PM   #38
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cathy57 View Post
    don't let anyone tell you that you will have hashi's for life.....
    cathy57--How does that work? I thought that it was for life. FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 08-03-2008, 03:20 PM   #39
    Audrey-B
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL - I rarely pamper myself like i suggested in my post as there always seems to be something else more important to do, so it only ends up being a 2 or 3 times a year thing. If i do anything it might be a quick exfoliation, throw on a mud mask and let it set while i'm doing ironing or something else mundane, then i forget to wash it off and it's dried on so well that it takes forever to wash the darn thing off and only stresses me out more with all the effort it takes. I then need a lie down to get over the entire exercise LOL Seriously though, i think we'd all be a lot better if we did treat ourselves to a little self indulgence on a regular basis. My self indulgence is more like what you did........SHOPPING

Great idea ChickieLou - one of the ladies over on the thyroid board actually did go back to school after having to do most of her own research on her illness. I think her doctor is employing her as an assistant (can't recall actually what she'll be doing or what course she did). However, i too couldn't face the thought of doing any form of study. I feel as though my poor brain has had it and at times i think it needs to be pensioned off
    or at least traded in for a newer model It's bad enough having to remember all the stuff i have to remember for my work and then they keep changing the policy and procedures!! It's a shame, i used to remember things so well and wanted to advance into a management role and had such an interest in my work. Now it's often a battle to get through the day even though i'm a lot better than prior to starting my thyroid meds.

As for getting rid of Hashi's for good......... funnily enough, my doctor feels that certain Hashi's conditions can be reversed providing ALL other areas affected (eg: in my case, adrenals, pancreatic enzymes, liver) are all corrected also. I think it might depend how far your Hashi's advanced, what effects it caused, what is actually happening with your thyroid. He made some comment to me at one of my early visits that he doesn't see why i couldn't make a full recovery, but it would take a few years, but believed i'd be medication free in the end. I also don't see how they can stop the immune system from destroying the thyroid. I thought once it begins it's journey of destruction that it couldn't be stopped. I've not asked him about it since, but maybe i should at my next visit.

Old 08-04-2008, 04:11 PM   #40
    marilla
    (female)

marilla HB User

Thanks, Audrey!

cathy57, isn't Hashi's incurable?

Old 08-04-2008, 06:50 PM   #41
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

AudreyB--I'm reading again about Hashi's and Low ferritin. I read that Hypo can result in a lowered production of hydrochloric acid leading to malab. of iron. Lowered body temp. causes you to make less RBC's. Anything else? Did your doc discuss this acid reduction with you? When I add the Nexium what is left to break down and absorb iron, probably very little. So, basically low iron and your thyroid function is ~skewed~ if you know what I mean. I'm very concerned that my Endo acts like nothing is related to iron???? I get my thyroid and liver labs done tomorrow. I can't wait to see what they are, but I will have to wait a little while for those answers. Will chat later. FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 08-04-2008, 06:59 PM   #42
    jlt18
    (female)

jlt18 HB User

Yes, the low acid is the issue with not absorbing iron. I think that could by why it takes so long to build stores up. I can't imagine how much harder it is when you take acid reducing meds. Not a great situation I am sure. You can see how you can easily become deficient in minerals and vitamins. I hope you can wean from Nexium in time.

I get my ferritin results this week. I hope I see a raise. It is frustrating...The good news is my hypo symptoms are almost gone, just hair loss left, ugh!

I don't think you will get too far with your Endo. I have been to 3 and am done. Did not help me at all!

Old 08-04-2008, 07:31 PM   #43
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

jlt18--Also, I never ate red meat and never took vitamins because they bothered my stomach. I drank tea and red wine and had heavy periods at that so I was bound for iron deficiency anemia. I would love to stop the Zegerid (same as Nexium) but I don't see how and my Mom has BE so I'm scared to use other natural approached as they do not heal the erosions formed by the acid that constantly goes into the esophagus. That to me is another big risk that I'm not willing to take at this point. I have only seen two Endo's the first was a good doc, unfortunately he passed shortly after I saw him. The new one is just a really nice guy, too bad that doesn't cut it. I appreciate your posts jlt18. It's made me open my eyes a little more concerning my thyroid. Thanks for that! FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 08-04-2008, 08:13 PM   #44
    jlt18
    (female)

jlt18 HB User

Thanks, I think these boards are great. We can learn from each other. I don't know much about reflux, etc. I think we tend to learn more about the things we are dealing with personally. I probably make weaning from those meds sound easy and I don't mean to. I have read lots on hypothyroidism. I am so glad I have figured out what will help me. I think many people are suffering with low thyroid symptoms that are on T4 only meds. I wish endo's were more aware of how low thyroid function plays a role in other deficiencies. I may have addressed them earlier myslef had they informed me. Thank goodness for places like this for us to share what we learn.

Old 08-05-2008, 03:48 AM   #45
    Audrey-B
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I second that......... Thanks for starting this thread jlt18 I think the anemia section needs a thread like this for those suffering from both thyroid and low iron levels.

My doctor didn't actually explain that hypo can lead to lowered acid levels, which leads to malabsorbtion and lowered body temperature etc etc. My Trichologist and my thyroid doctor only stated that they have seen a lot of ladies with a thyroid condition which accompanied difficult to raise ferretin, as well as digestive issues which particularly concerned digestion of protein. Getting the right amount of protein is important for the thyroid, iron, hair/skin/nails, and the liver, which are the areas i'm familiar with and having problems with.

A lady in a healthfood store guessed that my blood group was type A. She said type A's tend to have less stomach acid for digestive purposes and you need those if you are a meat eater in particular. My current doctor guessed prior to any testing that the majority of my hair loss was due to a form of malnutrition due to the lack of certain vitamins/minerals due to the malabsorbtion issues. He said a lot of people have this and don't know it.

I do know that my hair shedding wouldn't have been solely related to one thing, but taking into consideration the protein issue (as well as my low iron and low iodine) it's likely no wonder i was losing so much hair. It's slowed in the last couple of months, but it has done that in the past during the coldest part of winter and then resumed shedding once the weather hotted up. Very unusual that it stops during winter. Will see what happens once we get into spring. I have had a lot of new growth and my mother says my hair looks like someone took a pair of siccors to it and took a few strands here and there and chopped them off into various lengths. I don't need a hairdresser to layer my hair. It kinda managed to do that all on it's own Makes me look a bit wild an woolley at times

Not sure if i mentioned it on here or the thyroid board, but a guy i work with had reflux issues and his doctor put him on some prescription enzymes and he said it fixed his reflux issues.

I found learning about anemia much easier than learning about the thyroid as the thyroid encompasses so many other areas and it gets very technical. On the thyroid board i tend to feel like a fish out of water. No matter how much i read i tend to find it hard going. Are any of you on adrenal med's for low or high cortisol levels? I've got low cortisol so am taking medication to help my adrenal fatigue as this also tends to go hand in hand with Hypo. Last night i decided to look up a little more information on the adrenals and refresh my mind on what can go wrong if your Endo has simply stuck you on thyroid meds and not checked out your adrenals and it is SCARY!!!!

Marilla - i'm not sure about Hashi's being in/curable. I think it depends on your doctor, how much he/she knows or is willing to do for you, what situation your thyroid is in at the moment and a heap of other things. I'll be seeing my doctor in about 4 or so weeks time for a new blood test. I'll ask him about some Hashi's success stories.

FLFLOWERGIRL - fingers crossed you get a positive outcome with your test results. I know how VERY important it is and how it's such a BIG thing. I don't think anybody but a fellow sufferer can know just how big a deal it is to have these repeat tests done and how much we pray for an improvement on past results. Be brave and wear that little bandaid with pride once it's over

Closed Thread