It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• No such thing as adult acne?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-06-2008, 10:47 AM   #1
    pnksapphire
    (female)

pnksapphire HB User
    No such thing as adult acne?

I was just giving a script for Retin-A Micro. I needed a pre-authorization. Well, my derm called it in and it was denied! They were told that people don't get acne over the age of 25!! WTH??? Anyway, I am on my way to pick up some samples from them. My doctor's office wasn't impressed with my script company, express scripts. Anyway, I just wanted to let everyone know that if you are over 25, it is a figment of your imagination that you have acne!

I have been battling this for 20 years. The ONLY thing that has helped has been BCP. Will I need to be on them until I am 90?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-06-2008, 12:09 PM   #2
    tlhalabama
    Veteran
    (female)

tlhalabama HB User
    Re: No such thing as adult acne?

Well, I am 42 as of today and guess what. I have that "figment of the imagination" adult acne.

I have tried many otc products as well as bcp. I have been off bcp for 4 years. I never say any difference with or without them. Nothing ever helped until recently.

After reading many posts here, I decided to try some of these things that have been recommended.

I use alcohol every night to remove my makeup. Then I wash my face with an apricot facial scrub. I use a spot treatment if necessary.

In the morning, I wash with the facial scrub and after gently drying my face, I apply alcohol and let dry.

I have also been taking evening primrose oil capsules for the past 2 months. I was told that it helps with hormonal acne.

Now my face is not near as oily as it used to be and my skin is clear for the first time since I was 10(?).

Good Luck!!!

Old 08-06-2008, 12:56 PM   #3
    pnksapphire
    (female)

pnksapphire HB User

Thanks!

Does anyone know how many doses are in those small trial sizes of Retin-A Micro? I was given about 20 from my derm.

Robin

Old 08-06-2008, 03:57 PM   #4
    Ray of Sun
    (female)

Ray of Sun HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pnksapphire View Post
    I was just giving a script for Retin-A Micro. I needed a pre-authorization. Well, my derm called it in and it was denied! They were told that people don't get acne over the age of 25!! WTH??? Anyway, I am on my way to pick up some samples from them. My doctor's office wasn't impressed with my script company, express scripts. Anyway, I just wanted to let everyone know that if you are over 25, it is a figment of your imagination that you have acne!

I have been battling this for 20 years. The ONLY thing that has helped has been BCP. Will I need to be on them until I am 90?
    I am 25 and was prescribed Accutane because the rest of the treatments did not work... so ~ they usually won't deny that at this age.

Keep in mind that Retin-A is also used as an anti-aging type of ointment to help clear wrinkles... this may be one reason they are denying it because they feel it may be a cosmetic issue.

Additionally, Retin A is good stuff, so I would dispute it with the Insurance Company.... call and ask for a 'Dispute Form' and a fax number or phone number.

Good Luck

Old 08-06-2008, 04:00 PM   #5
    Ray of Sun
    (female)

Ray of Sun HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pnksapphire View Post
    Thanks!

Does anyone know how many doses are in those small trial sizes of Retin-A Micro? I was given about 20 from my derm.

Robin

It depends on how much you use... I believe you are to spread a "thin layer" on the face before bed... and of course, stay out of the sun and DONT WAX your face or brow... trust me on this... it gets REAL UGLY with big scabs and whatnot.

Old 08-06-2008, 05:41 PM   #6
    pnksapphire
    (female)

pnksapphire HB User

Thank You! I got mad all over again. I sent an email and will call tomorrow. Think about it, they have been paying for my duac for the last 3 years...

Robin

*Update*
    I just got the below from my persciption website!

Price a Drug

Patient Exceeds Age Limit

Price information for RETIN-A MICRO GEL 20GM 0.04% GEL is therefore not available.

What is an "age limit"?
    Patients must meet age requirements to receive coverage for certain drugs. For example, some drugs are covered only if the patient is under age 18. In other cases, the patient must be over a certain age to receive coverage.

Last edited by pnksapphire; 08-06-2008 at 05:54 PM.

Old 08-06-2008, 07:49 PM   #7
    Cakies
    (female)

Cakies HB User

see if your insurance will cover regular retin-A that has a generic form called tretrinonin(sp?) My insurance wont cover Retin-A Micro or Differin unless you've tried the cheaper version. In my case the regular retin-A works great and is only $10 for a good sized tube. Warning regular retin-A is a little bit harsher on the skin than Micro, so if you have sensitive skin maybe its not the best choice but if your really oily like me then it works great. Also, look into spironolactone it is working amazing for me and its cheap, most insurance would cover it even if they don't its still not that expensive. It has very few side effects as well.

Last edited by Cakies; 08-06-2008 at 07:55 PM. Reason: add something

Old 08-16-2008, 07:42 AM   #8
    daphne009
    (female)

daphne009 HB User

lol I'll show them figment of my imagination when I pop my pimple and it goes squirting all over their face!

Old 08-16-2008, 11:17 AM   #9
    Hottytotty3
    (female)

Hottytotty3 HB User

I am 28 and have had acne since I was 13. This is ruining my life (not really but it makes me feel better to say it) LOL. I recently went back to school and every time I get stressed out I get a huge flare up. I am tired of it. I am on Minocyclin 100mg a day, Retin-A (generic that my derm makes in office), Clindomycin gel & Tazorac. I am telling you this is making me sick. My mom is 55 and still gets and occasional pimple!!

And if this makes you feel any better...I don't have insurance! I pay for all this crap and it still doesn't help me!

I think insurance companies deny things because of cost which is unfortunate. Good luck w/ your appeal.

Old 12-15-2008, 10:56 AM   #10
    Aidens Mommy
    (female)

Aidens Mommy HB User

I have the same insurance company... it's so hard to believe that they would insist that it can't POSSIBLY be adult acne, seeing as how it's so common- especially for women! I am 27... 2 years past their "acne deadline" and so I get to pay cash for my retin-a too. My bad for not getting the acne earlier... guess I"ll know better next time. I get some cystic acne around my cycle time but mostly I get those stupid little hard seeds that make bumps on my face until I obsessively pick them out and in turn, make myself bleed and cause a much bigger and more annoying blemish than I ever started with. Yes, I will admit, my obsession with picking is probably my BIGGEST problem.

I'm only on the 3rd day of Retin-A Cream 0.05% and I have nothing happening. It's a little deceiving in the morning I think because there is still a little residue left from the cream from the night before and it makes the red spots and scars "look" like they've lightened a bit... until I wash my face. Then I can see that the redness is still the same. The ONLY reaction I've had so far is a tad bit of peeling around my existing blemishes and scars. And I mean only a LITTLE bit of peeling. Oh and a couple little flakies under my nose. After reading all the horror stories about turning "lobster red", "peeling like the worst sunburn I've ever had- times 10", and the unavoidable horrendous initial breakout, I have to wonder, am I not using enough of this stuff?? My doc was very clear when she said DO NOT put more than a pea size amount over my entire face. Perhaps my skin can tolerate more? Seeing as how I paid cash ($89) for this stuff, I'd like to get as much out of it as I can...

Good luck to all my fellow retin-ers. Here's to clear and beautiful skin- whether you're 15 or 75! (Or 27)

Old 12-23-2008, 07:25 AM   #11
    ThePhilosopher
    (male)

ThePhilosopher HB User

( removed ) I understand their reluctance to pay for it. Plenty of 30+ women get this prescribed for purely cosmetic reasons. But it is ludicrous that they would not approve the PA and claim adult acne does not exist.

Last edited by moderator2; 12-23-2008 at 07:29 AM. Reason: non-professional sharing only : please read the posting rules about this

Closed Thread