It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board

• How much Vitamin D is to much? Calcium? Toxic?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-09-2008, 02:28 PM   #16
    wildflowers
    (female)

wildflowers HB User
    Re: How much Vitamin D is to much? Calcium? Toxic?

Thank you so much osteoblast and t4t3.
    Thank you also osteoblast for asking about my surgery, I had a pinched nerve and had a microdiscectomy on May 13, dealing with nerve pain now. It just so happens that my wonderful doctor left and is going into practice with her husband at the same time I was having surgery. It left me with a very stoic take no prisoners doctor who really scares the heck out of me. My first order of business is to get another doctor, you are so right why would she prescribe 50,000 units at one time without knowing my level. I have no connection with her whatsoever, and you said exactly what my husband said, what happens if you get into the hospital in a serious situation and she is writing the orders. You have cleared up all my questions about how and why with vitamind d, I feel so much better and reassured. I don't know what happened to me but after the surgery I somehow lost some of my self confidence and research and investigative skills, thank you for reawakening them in such a kind manner. I was very saddened to not be able to work at all in my garden this year. I watched spring go by, summer and I am sure fall You wouldn't know it by my garden, my children and husband planted and worked so hard to make it nice so that when I looked out my front window or was able to walk outside it would bring me joy, and it did. Wildflowers

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-09-2008, 05:43 PM   #17
    montesflus
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

montesflus HB Usermontesflus HB User

Wildflowers, Hi!

It's me, Montesflus Happy to hear you're recovering from back surgery. I wasn't aware that they now operate for pinched nerves. What is a microdiscectomy? I seem to remember that some time back you had said you were moving some furniture around and had somehow injured yourself - if my memory is correct (I may be wrong).

Anyway, I won't go rambling on and on. Just wanted to wish you a VERY speedy recovery and hope you'll be tending to your garden soon. Noticed you're getting good advice about vit d on these boards. Do get your levels checked out first before adding any extra, though.

Monte

Old 08-09-2008, 06:01 PM   #18
    T4T3hell
    (female)

T4T3hell HB UserT4T3hell HB User

I call them lazy doctors.

One of my doctors told me that he wanted me to quit taking estrogen 'cause it wasn't necessary---and I might get breast cancer. Oh, then he told me that he had read about it in Time or Newsweek!!!
    I should have run screaming from the office then and there.

Since I got kicked out of this doctor's office (after he took me off estrogen and cut my thyroid dose in half---he ended up personally driving me to the ER when I showed up for a scheduled appointment!)---I've seen an ambulance---with flashing lights and everything---in his office parking lot.

I guess I wasn't the only patient he's attempted to kill.

Oh---but he's fun to talk to.

Old 08-10-2008, 03:44 AM   #19
    wildflowers
    (female)

wildflowers HB User

Thank you monteflaus and T4T3 A pinched nerve when it causes severe pain from compression on a nerve root that isn't helped by conservative treatment, p t, injections, mediations, then surgery is the only alternative. My disc L5SI was compressing my nerve and I was in excruitating pain for months prior to surgery. Initially it happened I do believe when I was carrying heavy books from upstairs bedroom to the den downstairs, books are heavy alone but walking two flights of stairs reallly pushed my disc over it's limits. A microdisctomy is when they make a incision into your back and take out the disc that is pressing on the nerve. The substance between your disc is like toothpaste and when a tear is in your disc it can squeeze out and press on a nerve root. Some folks can have hernaited discs, bulging discs and never need to be operated on, that is as long as it doesn't press on a nerve. Sometimes the "toothpaste" stuff from the disc will be absorbed by the body over a period of time, needless to say I wasn't one of the lucky ones. Pain is a very humbling experience. They forgot to mention one of the side effects of the surgery is nerve pain, when you lift up a nerve to get to the disc, it gets very agitated and wakes up and lets you know it in no uncertain terms. It takes a long time for nerves to heal, someone said a inch a month. Thank you for your concern it is deeply appreciated. Sometimes you can have all of your loving family around and firends but feel very alone in your illness. My age I am sure has played a big role in my delayed recovery.
    T4T3, I have lost all trust in the medical system the way it works right now, I felt like a piece of meat on a assembly line, many times no compassion just"what is your pain level" it is very disheartening when I remember a time when there was more empathy and compassion in the medical field. Now they have there face in a computer, looking only once and a while to ask a question, they are overworked, over scheduled and burn out. It's all about getting the most patients in and out, numbers, numbers, numbers. they are not able to spend the time with there patients. Sorrry for the long rambling, I didn't know I had all of this in me this morning. My feelings now are if you are not in pain, and your body plumbing works, its a good day. take care and good health Wildflowers

Old 08-10-2008, 05:40 AM   #20
    wildflowers
    (female)

wildflowers HB User

To everyone who has osteoporosis, this is a reminder from my own experience. When you go in for a medical procedure, surgery etc. and have to be put out, or sedated in anyway, let them know you have osteoporosis. Have the surgical team, doctor, nurse write it on the front of your chart, or have them put it on a band and place it on your arm. When I had my surgery, I had a spinal anethesia, and knew what was going on. They lifted me by my chest and I heard a pop, and thought for sure my ribs fractured, I told them I had osteoporosis, and that went right over there heads, to busy positioning my body .Anyways, if you have rotator cuff problems(arms) whatever please let them know before hand, they have no idea. When they drop you off at the front of the surgical room, all they know is to operate etc.etc. I always wondered after surgery or a procedure why I was so sore and miserable, now I know. One can not afford when you have osteoporosis to have your body pulled in awkward ways etc. Make them document it on your chart in bright red letters, its your body and don't be discouraged by there comments. Wildlflowers

Old 08-10-2008, 08:16 AM   #21
    wildflowers
    (female)

wildflowers HB User

Osteoblast, I am sorry I didn't answer your question regarding my quitting forteo. I took forteo for three weeks and was dizzy during that time and quite unwell, so dizzy and unwell it wasn't worth it. Before my doctor left for another hospital she wanted to put me on Evista, what do you think about Evista? I am at a point I have to make a decision fairly soon, I took alot of predisone, steroid paks, nerve block etc during my recovery and that had to have a effect on my bones. I was considering hormone replacement therapy, I have had a hysterectomy so I was wondering would I just take premarin like I did before the scare. I know now I will have to take something because of all the steroids. Thank you for any info you may have. It feels so good to be able to sit long enough to type and want to do it, I have missed all of you. Wildflowers

Old 08-10-2008, 02:30 PM   #22
    beth67
    (female)

beth67 HB User

I went to a naturopath doctor and he told me to take 50,000 of D eventhough my levels were fine, in the mid range of normal, but my calcium levels were low. I originally went to him for fibromyalgia and left completely confused because he never address the fibro just wanted to add vitamins which of course he pushed because he sold them in his office. Did some research on the toxic levels of too much D and the effects don't show up until a few years after you start taking the high doses. Talked to my endrocrinologist and she said 3,000iu would be fine. Thats the amount I decided to take after reading an article by dr. andrew weil and dr. oz. D helps calcium absorb so hopefully my calcium levels will go up because its not a good feeling when their low. If you live in the north like me, alaska, people are usually a little deficient in vitamin d. Dr. Oz really recommends getting a vitamin d test before starting extra D to see where your at and where to need to get to. I have read where some doctors will put people on 50,000iu of d for a short time but I don't think it's necessary if you get a blood test and its in the normal range. Good luck.

Old 08-11-2008, 03:35 AM   #23
    wildflowers
    (female)

wildflowers HB User

Thank you beth 67, I am going for my blood test this week, that will tell the story, if I am within normal range, I will be totally delighted, I do not want to take high doses of anything right now, my body is in repair and needs time to just settle down and heal. Living in the northern part of Ohio in the winter there is hardly any sun at all. Take care! Wildflowers p.s. I love Dr. Oz

Closed Thread