It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• can you become iron-overloaded with low ferritin?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-13-2008, 08:24 AM   #1
    peace4
    (female)

peace4 HB Userpeace4 HB Userpeace4 HB User
    can you become iron-overloaded with low ferritin?

Is it possible to get iron overload if you keep taking iron supplement for a long time to raise your ferritin, while your serum iron level is within the range or even high?

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-13-2008, 09:34 AM   #2
    littlebunnyfoo
    (female)

littlebunnyfoo HB User
    Re: can you become iron-overloaded with low ferritin?

I am almost sure that you can't overload if your ferritin is low. The serum iron you are seeing on your lab results can be affected by a recent period (serum iron might be low) or by daily supplements (my hematologist said that if you want a true read of serum iron you should stop taking supplements for 5-7 days before a blood draw).

Old 08-13-2008, 10:57 AM   #3
    ChristineVA
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB User

No.

As littlebunnyfoo said, your serum iron will be falsely high while you are taking supplements; however, if your ferritin continues to be low then you cannot overload.

Old 08-13-2008, 05:13 PM   #4
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

peace4health--When taking supplements on a long term basis or in high doses you are at a greater risk for what is known as acquired iron overload.

As Littlebunny and Christine said, you will NOT overload with a low ferritin. It is almost impossible for people that already have a problem with iron to get too much. The rule is to keep your Sat% under 45% and Ferritin under 200. I think that it is key to keep the Saturation at healthy levels no matter what the ferritin is reading, high Sat leads to overload. A normal Iron Sat % is 25-35%. I was at 6% when DX'ed now I am at 30% so this is something that I do watch closely. You can have a high Sat and low ferritin. I pay close attention to this no matter what the other numbers read.

I was concerned too because my doctor has told me I am on iron supplements forever, due to the fact that (thyroid, PPI's), I do not absorb well. FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 08-14-2008, 12:19 AM   #5
    peace4
    (female)

Thank you all for your replies!

So I guess my serum iron was normal (almost in the middle of the range) because I had skipped the supplement only the day prior to the test.

I'm far from reaching 200 with my Ferritin, so, as I understand, iron overload is unrealistic for me, at least for the coming few years. My Ferritin was 9,5 when I had the test in early July; thinking to have another one in September.

Thanks again

Old 08-20-2008, 03:17 AM   #6
    Audrey-B
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

I don't think any of the people who have replied to your post, including myself, are in any danger of iron overload considering it is taking us "years" to get our ferretin UP Besides, you should be getting regular retesting done. My doctor would retest me every 3 months.

How long have we all been hanging around here on the anemia board?? Feels like a second home

Last edited by Audrey-B; 08-20-2008 at 03:18 AM.

Old 08-21-2008, 12:33 AM   #7
    peace4
    (female)

Indeed, I read a couple of days ago that one is always iron-deficient when Ferritin level is low or borderline.

Closed Thread