It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Low Ferritin and Hashimotos

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-05-2008, 08:32 AM   #46
    jlt18
    (female)

jlt18 HB User
    Re: Low Ferritin and Hashimotos

Yes Audrey I am on hydrocortisone due to adrenal fatigue. It has made a huge difference in how I feel. Getting a saliva test is very helpful for those who have had thyroid issues. There is a lot of information on the net to learn about this...I am so grateful we can go and do our own research and not just rely on a doc for all our health questions.

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-05-2008, 03:57 PM   #47
    cathy57
    (female)

cathy57 HB User

I truly believe that hashi's with the right diet and supplements is curable. the problem is, how much damage the hashi's has caused ? Is the thryoid able to work again after medication?

I truly belive it's the non juice that I drank or Xango that really made a difference.c

Old 08-05-2008, 04:00 PM   #48
    cathy57
    (female)

cathy57 HB User

No way, hashi's is not for life. The body is designed to heal itself if given the right kind of diet and supplements. c

Old 08-05-2008, 04:04 PM   #49
    cathy57
    (female)

cathy57 HB User

Hey AudryB, funny I have the same kind of hair loss.... picks up in the summer and slows down in colder weather.... I know I'm low in certain minerals, including zinc and silica, wonder if it's any of those. Have you figured out what's doing this? My hair just won't thicken up because there's just so much hair loss.... however, I never seem to go bald... I lose it from everywhere... diffuse, never just the top, mostly from all over.... strange that it grows in just enough to keep me from going bald....c

Old 08-06-2008, 05:36 AM   #50
    Audrey-B
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

cathy57 - i'm like you, my hair shedding was uniform and from all over my scalp and i never went "bald" or "alopecia-like". My Trichologist did say that anemia or other illnesses which cause hair loss can bring on early alopcea if it is genetic. Thankfully i didn't have that to worry over as well. It's bad enough losing so much of it, but if i ended up with the alopecia that would have just added to my woes.

The other thing which seems to run in the thyroid family is gluten intolerance. My doctor has advised me to eat as little as possible of any gluten products.

Getting sufficient sleep is also important.

My BIG thing at the moment is staying away from anything to do with soy.

Old 08-06-2008, 06:07 AM   #51
    Savannah22
    (male)

Savannah22 HB User

Hashimoto's is an "auto" immune DZ. There is no cure...only lifelong treatment. It may "stabilze" however cure is not possible. It functions in a similar way as arthritis does............. Only it attacks and destroys the thyroid vs joints etc. It is essentially hypo-thyroid. Have you had the biopsy and ultrasound to see the amount of destruction? There are good endos out there, and I too went thru a few characters to get to a great one. Best wishes.

Old 08-13-2008, 08:27 AM   #52
    cathy57
    (female)

cathy57 HB User

Hey Audrey, Have you have a gluten test? Apparently I'm negative but these tests are often "false negative" I do have some allergies, like casein, I have to avoid milk products and cheese. I find I have fewer coughs and colds when I avoid dairy. Also, I get really flatulent with eggs. How's your digestion? Do you get gas too? Are you into holistic healing? Do you use herbs, etc? What's your ferritin level like right now, what are your other issues? Are you allergic to soy? I just do wish this hair would stop falling out, I have to keep it so short... I've been to so many naturopaths about this.... I'm beginning to think it's not my thyroid after all..... It's just so darn constant.... but always gets worse in the summer, blast!!cb

Old 08-13-2008, 08:29 AM   #53
    cathy57
    (female)

cathy57 HB User

Hey Audrey, what happens when you don't get enough sleep? cath

Old 08-13-2008, 01:15 PM   #54
    webdiva
    Inactive
    (female)

webdiva HB User

Anyone have sudden rapid pattern hair loss due to hyper-, hypo-, Hashi's, or poor conversion? Cortisol is high and testosterone is slightly high.

Thanks for any help.

Old 08-13-2008, 06:51 PM   #55
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by webdiva View Post
    Anyone have sudden rapid pattern hair loss due to hyper-, hypo-, Hashi's, or poor conversion? Cortisol is high and testosterone is slightly high.

Thanks for any help.
    I have Hashi's and have always had hair loss to some degree (a little noticeable shedding) nothing too awful.

When I was anemic on the other hand, it was terrible. I had hair all over my clothing, floors and it would get into my food, that was the worst besides the scare this caused me. Iron loss has been my main reason for a large amount of loss over a period of time. As far as the continued small amount of hair loss it must be thyroid related, I really don't know for sure. My hair sheds evenly. FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 08-13-2008, 07:15 PM   #56
    jlt18
    (female)

jlt18 HB User

I too have hair loss due to Hashi's. It seemed to increase with dose changes, I would go from hyper to hypo on T4 drugs. Recently I learned that low ferritin can cause hair loss. I recall having low ferritin for some time now. I am slowly building it up. I went from 16 to 26 in a few months. I hope to see some more changes. The hair loss has been bad and may be slowing a bit the last couple of weeks. It sheds any time any where. I too have found it in food. I have to vacuum my hair up regularly, like a dog. I am feeling a bit more positive that the iron supplements are making a change in the ferritin levels and will slow the hair loss. I think it is both Hashi's and low ferritin.

Old 08-14-2008, 05:36 AM   #57
    Audrey-B
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

I just read over on the thyroid board that someone's doctor said that hair shedding can be attributed to TSH levels fluctuating up and down. Once the TSH stabilises so does the hair shedding. Interesting theory and one i've not come across before, but i suppose it does make sense, although i do believe ferretin levels hav a lot to do with it too.

Old 08-14-2008, 06:00 AM   #58
    Audrey-B
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

cathy57 - Yes i've had a gluten test. The maximum range was 15 and i got an 18 so my thyroid doctor told me i could have gluten products, but to be careful how much. I don't have any noticeable side effects from gluten i eat, i'd say it may lead to some malabsorbtion issues though. It's more of a 'silent' issue with me and i'd never know i had any gluten issues otherwise. This could partly be the reason why my ferretin dropped.

My digestion............. basically i have not been digesting protein as i've not got sufficient pancreatic enzymes. This could be a big part of the reason why my ferretin dropped and it would have added to my hair shedding woes. I'm now taking prescription digestive enzymes with all my main meals and i feel so much better. No more bloating or feeling super tired after meals. I used to be able to eat a horse and chase the jockey before as i'd be STARVING all the time but i didn't really ever put on much weight and most people would marvel at how i could eat so much and not gain weight. Now since i've been on the enzymes i eat normal meals, don't feel starving 24/7 and i'm sure the badly needed protein will be appreciated by my body, energy levels, hair, metabolism, thyroid and liver and whatever else needs it.

My thyroid doctor has me on 'isolate whey protein' at breakfast time to boost my slow metabolism. Yes, i have a slow metabolism courtesy of my thyroid, but can't believe how i never put on the weight with all the food i ate. Admittedly i do eat very healthy, but perhaps never put on the weight due to malabsorbtion issues leading to a semi-malnutricious state i suppose.

Eating protein at breakfast also helps your 'coping skills' and decreases our stress levels, which in turn is good as you wear out much sooner with Hashi's and we need all the coping skills and decreased stress levels we can get

I do not go near soy products if i can help it, but it's in everything these days from bread to chocolate. Soy is not good for the thyroid as far as i'm aware. I think this mostly came about after genetically modified soy came onto the market as it's so cheap. I have heard some say you can have soy in 'this form' but not 'that form' if you have a thyroid condition. I simply keep away from it as i have enough issues without causing more. I read the ingredients on anything shop bought and virtually everything has Soy in it. Sometimes you think something doesn't contain soy, but the manufacturer disguises the 'soy' in other wording eg: vitamin E, vegetable oil, vegetable gum.

No wonder so many of us are sick. It's bad enough with the pollution, chemicals in the water and hormones they feed to the animals we eat or milk we drink and then you have to be super vigilant when it comes to things you buy in the supermarket too!! This is why i cook most things from scratch and i'm lucky my mother still keeps hens and she gives me lots of fresh eggs from hens which haven't been fed hormones. Her hens run around on a farm totally free range.

You asked about sleep..... basically if i don't get enough sleep i'm simply tired, but there are times i've only had 6 or 7 hours sleep and i feel 'wired'. I just make sure i get to bed earlier the following night. I did start to get good and bad sleep phase cycles about a year prior to being diagnosed with Hashi's. Since beging medicated i notice my sleep patterns are a lot more uniform these days, which is a blessing.

Old 08-15-2008, 06:55 AM   #59
    cathy57
    (female)

cathy57 HB User

Hey ladies, when you get your blood tests done? A.M? P.M.? when is the ideal time? My doc says 4.5 hours after you take your meds. I just came back from my holistic doc and my FT3 was way too high, I freaked out. Max is supposed to be 5.7 pmol/L and I'm 7.5!! ugh! I've been playing around with dosage for 5 years and I'm still too high, no wonder my hair is falling.... I've got to cut the dosage now to 30mg a.m. /30 mg p.m. I was on 45mg..... I just wish this would sort itself out!! I was surprised to find that my ferritin jumped to 71 from 45 in just afew short months, wow, I was really happy, the bad news even at 71 my hair is still falling, means my ferritin is not the cause of my hair loss. I just hope I sort this out before I go bald....(my zinc is very low)
    Audrey, you have an interesting story,,,,, I don't hear about your problem very often, do you know what "caused " it?

Old 08-15-2008, 03:07 PM   #60
    jlt18
    (female)

jlt18 HB User

On a thyroid board it is recommended to not take Armour 12 -18 hours before labs. I believe it can make your free T3 look too high. I take my last dose of armour (I dose throughout the day) at noon the day before my labs and then take my morning dose right after blood draw.

I wonder if that is what is happening. How do you feel? What is your temperature?

I understand the hair loss worry!!! Good your ferritin responded fast!

Closed Thread