It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Low Ferritin and Hashimotos

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-15-2008, 10:41 PM   #61
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User
    Re: Low Ferritin and Hashimotos

This is a little bit off topic, but: Have any of you ladies with Hashimoto's experience a sudden and unexplained weight gain prior to being diagnosed? What has led to your diagnosis? I am being tested for this and other conditions that cause sudden weight gain.

flowergirl

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-15-2008, 11:28 PM   #62
    prokureur
    (female)

prokureur HB User

I have Hashimotos and my doctor said the same thing, that it could initially cause hair shedding but that should stabalize. My thyroid issues have been stable for a long time but I still have a ferritin of 4-5, even after taking iron supplements for almost a year. Colonsocopy, endoscopy shows nothing wrong.

Old 08-16-2008, 12:22 AM   #63
    prokureur
    (female)

prokureur HB User

Hi there
    I just read Audrey B. posting and wanted to say thanks for all the info. I posted some of what I am about to say somewhere, so if I am repeating I apologize-not to sure if it is on the same board. I have Hashimotos and have had a ferretin of about 4 for almost a year now. Iron supplements do not help. They have done a colonoscopy and endoscopy and stool test and all negative. What I do not understand why my endo, after he found the iron so low (he had gotten my Hash. and thyroid under control as it was underactive) just sent me back to my gp as he says he does not deal with iron issues. When I read your post Audrey, I read so many things that were done with you(iodine issues and tests) to find the problem. It is almost a year, I barely function but yet. it seems not much is done. I think my absorption is ok- not sure-says my saturation is low(not sure if that is different than absorption) my iron, ferritin, RBC and HCT is low. My gp sent me to an oncologist, (this was before I did the colonsocopy and endoscopy)-I did not even really know why, the oncologist said that we have to first do the colonoscopy and endoscopy to see if something is wrong there. The oncologist felt it could not be cancer as I am not loosing weight- she did however say that if the colonoscopy and endoscopy is negative I should come back but now my gastro. first wants to do the camera endoscopy. Meanwhile, I just live with a very low ferritin. I have always been a big meat eater, just thought I should mention that.
    Sorry for the venting, just that the fatigue and other issues sometimes get the better of me and any insight or comments will help. THANKS

Old 08-16-2008, 08:01 AM   #64
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

prokureur--Have you had a test for Celiac or PA? These are both AI diseases (you are at a greater risk for developing another because you have Hashi's) that will cause low numbers and impair absoprtion. Did you have your B-12 checked?

If you are taking in the right amount of iron (not a small dose or with food) and not absorbing this is when you see a Hematologist/Oncologist. You might need IV iron therapy.

The small bowel is the test that is usually done last, and this is what you will be having so it is the right procedure to follow. Sorry that you have been going through this so long. As far as the Endo goes. I feel like you. AudreyB is very fortunate that her doctor is treating her so well. My Endo also found my iron problem and sent me to the PCP, that is how it works here is the US. Some Endos will treat their patients for low iron. I have also asked Audrey WHY we don't get this type of treatment? I think when it comes down to it that the thyroid people/Hashi's might ALL have the same problem going on with malabsorption. Perhaps this has just always been treated with iron and nothing more? Who know's? Good luck to you and keep us posted! FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 08-16-2008, 09:55 PM   #65
    prokureur
    (female)

prokureur HB User

Dear FLFLOWERGIRL
    Thanks very much for your response-it is much appreciated. I think my gastro doc. took a intestinal biopsy to test for celiac disease when he did the endoscopy-if that is when they take it because it sounds like something like that but it was negative. Excuse the ignorance, what is PA?-
    Not sure if B12 has been tested. I am doing the camera endoscopy on Tuesday- I am sure there will be another while to wait after that for the results and I suppose if that is negative then to the oncologist who said she wants to do a bone marrow biopsy if all is negative. My mother, her mother and her sister all had(the sister is still alive) bone-marrow/lymphoma type of cancers but the doctors all say that it is not hereditary.
    Thanks again for your reply and to everyone else.
    Prokureur

Old 08-17-2008, 04:00 AM   #66
    Audrey-B
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

prokureur - The reason my doctor is doing everything for me is that he works in a University and he deals with small groups of "problem patients". By 'problem', i mean people who are doing all the right things, yet are having problems raising their ferretin and have a diagnosed thyroid condition. It also helps that this doctor is a Hashi's sufferer himself and relates to all we are going through. I'd say it's more like my guardian angels were looking after me as i did a heap of research on here, then as a last resort found a Trichologist for my hair loss (i had given up on all other doctors) and he diagnosed my Hashi's, helped lift my ferretin and he is the one who knows my current doctor and referred me on. It was more like an unplanned chain of events.

I agree with FLFLOWERGIRL, gluten intolerance and low B12 are often causes of low iron as well as all the other things eg: internal bleeding, heavy periods, vegetarian diet etc. My current doctor wants my ferretin over 100 and even up to 125. A higher ferretin is very beneficial for the thyroid too. I guess if you have had one of those biopsies (or whatever they do) to diagnose gluten intolerance or Celiacs and it's come back that you dont have that then that rules that out. It's probably good to get the biopsy done as blood tests can give false positives and false negatives. You should get your B12 checked too.

In my case, i'm not sure how much of my slow rising ferretin is due to gluten and how much to not being able to digest protein. I've been reading up on malabsorption issues and it's amazing how the inability to digest certain things can cause quite a lot of different side effects ef: edema (swelling anywhere in the body), dry skin, hair loss, anemia, easy bruising, dehydration, fatigue, vision problems. Taking those symptoms into account, who knows just how many things could be/were affecting my hair shedding.

At the end of the day, no matter what your doctor is or isn't doing, you need to do as much research, learn as much as you can and make lists, find out who can do more tests and then start ruling things out. I guess it doesn't help when doctors say your tests came back 'normal' just because the test results are 'within range'. That's why boards like this are great as there are a number of people around who really know their stuff and can help with test results.

Old 08-17-2008, 04:03 AM   #67
    Audrey-B
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

flowergirl2day - i think it was you who said you had the nausea? (hope i'm not confusing you with someone else). My naturopath gave me some information on Celiacs and basic gluten intolerance and it mentioned nausea as a possible side effect for some people. Who would have known that and i'm certain most doctors wouldn't even think of that one!!

Old 08-17-2008, 04:06 AM   #68
    Audrey-B
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Cathy - my doctor advises me not to take any meds for 12 hours prior to my thyroid blood tests. That means no thyroid meds and no other meds or supplements of any form. When he rechecks my cortisol levels for my adrenals i have to fast for 12hrs and no med's of any sort, only water is allowed. All blood tests i do are required to be done by no later than 8.30am.

Old 08-17-2008, 11:02 AM   #69
    cathy57
    (female)

cathy57 HB User

Thanks audrey, I do wish my docs would give some counsel regarding blood tests, none of them ever say anthing about when and how. Are you in the upper 2/3 of the ref ranges when you don't take your meds? Most of the time, I've taken my pill already so my T3 is really high cath

Old 08-17-2008, 11:11 AM   #70
    cathy57
    (female)

cathy57 HB User

Hey jtl,
    What do your FT3 and FT4 look like ? Are they in the upper 2/3 of the range? or are they lower, chucks, I'm doing these blood tests all wrong, very frustrating! The docs never explain this correctly. I'll have to get them redone... funny that my hair is really falling out right now on the right side when my meds are too strong and on the left side of my head when they're too low...Audrey, I checked out your trich on the website and oh is there a lot of info on that site! Everyone should read that .... some very goodinfo about ferritin.... etc. cath

Old 08-17-2008, 11:22 AM   #71
    cathy57
    (female)

cathy57 HB User

to jlt18. today it's sunday at 2p.m. and my temp is 37 degrees C. because that's the only therm (merc) that I have. Seems normal... I've reduced my meds to 30 mg 2 day.which I take at 7 a.m. and then at 6 p.m. .I'm continuing with the iron pills and trying to work up my ferritin much higher, seems the docs in canada don't seem to understand that we women need their ferritin nice and high....cath

Old 08-17-2008, 12:04 PM   #72
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Audrey,

Quote:
    My naturopath gave me some information on Celiacs and basic gluten intolerance and it mentioned nausea as a possible side effect for some people.
    thank you for this information. I will be going to visit my son and his family for a week. While there, I'll research these conditions and their symptoms and see if they could apply to me. I am happy to say that the recent addition to my drug regime, Reglan, is helping the nausea tremendously. I almost feel normal again. I will be able to enjoy my visit with the kids.

flowergirl

Old 08-17-2008, 03:21 PM   #73
    Audrey-B
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Cathy - i am on thyroid meds for both T3 and T4, but i don't take any meds on the morning of my blood test, not even any vitamins. This test gets done first thing in the morning too.

Not sure if you have had your adrenals checked out, but the retesting i do for my adrenals get's done first thing in the morning as early as possible. For this test i fast and take no med's what so ever until the blood test is over.

In the past no doctors ever told me optimum times for blood testing. It is only my current doctor and the Trichologist who i used to see that have told me that all hormonal forms of testing should get done early in the morning.

I agree, that Trichologist's site has some great info. Finding his site on the net and combining it with stuff i learnt from others on the healthboard is what convinced me to go with him. I'm not sure whether he still does, but he used to either have a practice in Virginia or was in some way connected to something there. I was sorting out a heap of paperwork and i found one of those 'with compliments' slips amongts it all and it said something about 'Trichology of Virginia'. Not sure whether that is the case any more as i dont see the Virginia address on the later slips he gave me. I do know he goes overseas and he lectures and i think he also teaches people. He is extremely knowledgeable in a lot of the issues most of us are having, just here in Australia he isn't seen as an actual "doctor" and can't write out prescriptions or pathology requests. I would have to get a letter from him, take it to my GP and then get a pathology request from my GP and then go to pathology for the blood draw. In the USA he is able to do all that himself. I guess different countries have different laws.

That's odd about your hair shedding from different sides of your head according to your meds being too high or low. I've never heard of that before. My shedding is always uniform.

ps: thought i'd look up that Trichology of Virginia and yes my previous doctor is the clinical director there. Not quite sure what that means, whether he actually has a practice there or not. Will check it out later when i have more time.

Old 08-17-2008, 03:28 PM   #74
    Audrey-B
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

flowergirl2day - i had never heard of gluten intolerance being connected to nausea until i read the article provided by the Celiacs Society. I thought of you as you had said you had no idea what the nausea could be from and don't recall you mentioning anything about being tested for gluten.

They do say the best test to have done is the biopsy, but i've never had that and dont feel like having that done. On the other hand they say blood tests can give false positives or negatives so who knows whether the blood test i had was correct. It's really hard work eliminating all gluten products.

Hope you have a lovely holiday

Old 08-17-2008, 09:43 PM   #75
    prokureur
    (female)

prokureur HB User

Dear Audrey
    Thanks so much for your reply. It is much appreciated that you and others take so much time to post your knowledge and experience. I am pretty sure the biopsy was for celiac and perhaps some other things too but unless B12 is referred to by another name(the test) I do not recall ever seeing that on any of my test results.
    I do understand now why your doctor is doing so many tests-thanks for the information, does make me feel better.
    I will keep on following the thread and post any updates.
    Thank you to all
    Prokureur

Closed Thread