It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Low Ferritin and Hashimotos

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-17-2008, 10:43 PM   #76
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User
    Re: Low Ferritin and Hashimotos

Audrey,

I am seeing a surgeon tomorrow to schedule an endoscopy. I will ask about the biopsy to test for Celiac disease an gluten intolerance. I read that they do the biopsies during this procedure. I am just not sure whether one has to ask for them, or if they are done automatically, or only if something looks suspicious.

Thank you for the information and the good wishes! I plan to enjoy myself for a week. That will be my time away from doctors and anything medical. You guys take care!

P.S. We had a rack of lamb for dinner. I ate just the meat and some green beans. Did I get some iron that way? I hope so!!!

flowergirl

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-18-2008, 04:02 PM   #77
    webdiva
    Inactive
    (female)

webdiva HB User

Try dandelion and yellow dock!! Gets iron up FAST, per my own experience. I'm now at 136!!

Old 08-18-2008, 11:09 PM   #78
    Audrey-B
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

flowergirl2day - might be best to ask them prior to the procedure if they could do the biopsy to check for gluten issues as that way you will know 100%. Sometimes i think i wouldn't mind doing that test so i will know once and for all where i stand gluten-wise. I feel i'm torturing myself by excluding ALL wheat products as it's such hard work sometimes finding gluten free replacements for bread, crackers, biscuits/cakes. It's so easy with wheat produces, they're everywhere and cheap.

I'm sure you did get iron with your rack of lamb and beans. I hope you had some orange juice or white wine with it to increase the iron absorption

I have taken peace4earth's suggestion of using buckwheat (see her post on the anemia board) as it has a lot of protein in it and is high in so many essential things, including iron. Just bought some today and also bought some buckwheat pancake mix. I used to think buckwheat was related to wheat, but funnily enough it's related to the rhubarb family. Also began using black strap molasses, which another poster recommended somewhere on the anemia board as it is rich in iron.

Old 08-19-2008, 08:28 AM   #79
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Audrey,

thank you for your reply. I might have to wait a while for the test. They will phone with a date. I'll make sure to ask for the gluten and celiac disease testing.
    While I am away, I plan to read some of the threads on these boards that I haven't had the time for. I'd be interested in the buckwheat stuff. At this point, I don't even know what it is. I keep thinkiing of wheatgerm.

take care,
    flowergirl

Old 08-20-2008, 09:45 AM   #80
    cathy57
    (female)

cathy57 HB User

Gluten intolerance VS celiac sprue... I'm not an expert, but my daughter has a gluten sensitivity so I've studied this stuff a bit. There is a doc from New Zealand who calls himself Dr. Gluten. He says there are 2 types of gluten allergies: celiac which is very serious, and gluten intolerance, which can be aided through a digestive enzyme that you can buy online which contains the dpp iv enzyme. This digests both gluten and milk. This is the enzyme that autistic and adhd kids use to get them through their gluten/milk infractions. If you take the enzymes at every meal it can really turn your life around....cath

Old 08-21-2008, 03:15 AM   #81
    Audrey-B
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

Wow, thanks for that info Cath As i said before, i don't feel any side effects what so ever when i eat gluten products and so i highly doubt i'm suffering from Celiacs. One of my sister in laws has Celiacs and it tends to run in her family and she suffered badly.

I have no symptoms at all, but worry about the gluten issue stopping my nutrient absorbtion. I was really getting into a bit of a panic, thinking what if i have the digestion issue at one end and the gluten issue at the other. No wonder i'm low on a number of things.

The problem is that i can't get around the 'bread' issue. All the gluten free breads i've tried have the most horrendous after taste. My naturopath told me some healthfood stores sell a tastier type of gluten free bread, but non of the healthfood stores near me sell bread at all. I can get around cakes and buscuits as i can make gluten free stuff at home myself. I don't eat that many cakes/biscuits anyway, so even if i did eat the odd gluten containing biscuit i'm sure it wouldn't matter.

I'm wonder whether i should have the biopsy done to see if any damage has occured. If there is no damage then i wouldn't be worrying.

Closed Thread