It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lasik Eye Surgery Message Board

• Lasik Enhancement - Should I or should I not? Please help.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-19-2008, 04:13 PM   #1
    linny17
    (female)

linny17 HB User
    Lasik Enhancement - Should I or should I not? Please help.

Greetings,

Here is the scoop:

I'm 26 and I had intralase lasik surgery 9 months ago to get rid of a pair of -9 glasses. Before lasik I was blind like at bat! I had really good vision at first but now I need glasses again. My vision is now -1.50. It seems like my eyes regressed quite a bit. Have anyone here experience such regression and what are your thoughts on an enhancement? Is it worth getting an enhancement for -1.50 eyes? I'm so afraid of going through an enhancement since it is anthor surgery.

Please let me know what are your insights whether you would go for an enhancement or not if you were me. Also, for those who had an enhancement, how did it go? Any regrets?

Thanks for all you insights in advance. I really appreciate any comments out there.

Cheers,
    Lynn

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-26-2008, 08:21 AM   #2
    overcorrectedjw
    (male)

overcorrectedjw HB User
    Re: Lasik Enhancement - Should I or should I not? Please help.

Lynn,
    I had Lasik back in January to correct significant nearsightedness. Unlike you, I was overcorrected and am now somewhat farsighted. Up until recently, I said that I wouldn't get an enhancement for fear of something bad happening. After discussing enhancement with my surgeon, he tells me that the risks are less with the enhancement than with the original procedure (likely because of lifting the flaps rather than creating new ones). I now believe that my earlier fears were a bit irrational. I'm scheduled for enhancement surgery on September 2nd and am hoping for the best. Good luck with your decision and with your enhancement procedure if you decide to go forward.

Old 08-26-2008, 08:24 AM   #3
    nchantng
    (female)

nchantng HB User
    Re: Lasik Enhancement - Should I or should I not? Please help.

In your case, absolutely!

-9 is quite a big correction - and my Dr told me the greater the correction, the greater the regression possible. I was somewhere around -7.75 (combo of nearsightedness and astigmatism) after the surgery I briefly had 20/15 vision (oh heaven!) which regressed within a few months to about 20/60 which didn't work for me. I had the enhancement done one eye at a time, first eye went perfect no complications, second eye I experienced blurry vision (like trying to see underwater) for a couple of weeks before it cleared up. My vision is now 20/30. Keep in mind I had my surgery ten years ago (and they are much, much better at it now!) and my astigmatism was a huge factor.

What I am trying to say is that it is not without possible complications, although not serious ones, but the benefits for me overrode the risk. With -1.5 you probably need to wear glasses or contacts - so a correction can solve that. My Dr told me that he would re-correct anything over 1 diopter.

good luck with your decision - isn't this surgery the greatest miracle? well I think so after wearing glasses from age five to age thirty five!

Closed Thread