It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board

• Compression Fractures

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-25-2008, 05:24 PM   #1
    taape
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User
    Compression Fractures

I just found out I have small compression fractures at T-7 & T-11 which showed on xray. Not sure how many or how large. I've had chronic back pain for years but haven't had an xray in over 10 years. I've had MRI's of the lumbar spine which showed degenerative disc disease but no fractures. When I was diagnosed with osteoporosis I never had xrays taken.

How do compression fractures heal or do they? I'm still fairly active with walking, working, etc., and didn't even notice that I had any fractures until getting xrays.

Last edited by taape; 08-25-2008 at 05:26 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-28-2008, 12:42 PM   #2
    osteoblast
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

osteoblast HB User
    Re: Compression Fractures

Dear Taape:
    I wanted to let you know that I feel for you. I really don't know about the healing time. Did your dr. think these were new or had happened sometime ago? I do hope that you are well on the mend.
    I saw your other post that you have been to a new dr. and now are thinking about calcitonin. I do not know about this though I have heard of it being used.
    Best wishes

Last edited by osteoblast; 08-28-2008 at 12:46 PM.

Old 08-28-2008, 07:42 PM   #3
    taape
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Thanks osteoblast. The radiologist couldn't tell if these were new or old but it's the first ever T spine xrays I've had. So there's nothing to compare to. I'm scheduled for an MRI so they can see me.

I also got the report from the cervical and lumbar xrays which says no acute fractures, which is good news.

Old 08-29-2008, 06:25 AM   #4
    lynm27
    (female)

lynm27 HB User

Hello Taape, I have a wedge fracture at T10 and this has been very painful. From what I have read we can sometimes get compression fractures without pain, the main symptom is loss of height.

I understand these fractures don't exactly heal and that if we get more, we can become stooped over and sometimes even get a dowagers hump! [This has ALL scared the **** out of me)!

I too have back pain, degenerative disc problems for years and also Polymyalgia Rheumatica for the last 2 1/2 years. The Prednisole I take for PMR has possibly hastened the osteoporosis loss.

I would be very greatful if you could let us know what you are told after the MRI.

Old 08-29-2008, 08:39 PM   #5
    Aleta145
    (female)

Aleta145 HB User

Hello Taape,

When I have my DXA scans, they do a vertebral assessment to determine whether any fractures have occurred. You might check your most recent scan and see if that was done for you. If it was, and there weren't any fractures indicated, you'll know that these occurred since then.

It's my understanding that they heal in about 6-8 weeks, for what it's worth.

Old 08-29-2008, 08:50 PM   #6
    taape
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lynm27 - I sure will post when I get the results of the MRI, probably the week after next. The hump scares me also. I wonder how these heal.

Aleta - is the vertebral assessment something that is read off of the DEXA scan film or a separate test? I don't see any mention of that with any of my DEXA's.

Old 08-30-2008, 10:50 AM   #7
    Aleta145
    (female)

Aleta145 HB User

Hi Taape,

The vertebral assessment is a second pass on the Hologic machine from the side, which measures the heights of the vertebrae. You can see the curve of the back on this image, and any fractures would be noticeable and commented upon in the report. The report I'm looking at shows all the vertebrae from T4 down to L4, with an accompanying assessment chart which shows the height in mm of each vertebra's front, middle, and back, with deformation expressed in % of Wedge, Biconcave, and Crush. The overall evaluation has me at normal all the way down, with a very slight bit of Crush at L3 and L4.

When you have your next DXA, you might want to request a vertebral assessment as part of your test. I don't know whether any other machines have the capability but at least you can ask.

By the way, the DXA machines are digital. No film is used as far as I know.

Old 08-30-2008, 12:07 PM   #8
    taape
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Thank you very much for the information. No, I didn't have a vertebral assessment done. I'm going to make a requst to my doctor for this.

Old 08-31-2008, 03:17 PM   #9
    DesertBloom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

DesertBloom HB UserDesertBloom HB User

Hi Taape: I'm so sorry to hear about the frax!! What are the plans, does the Dr plan on doing something, like kyphoplasty or are they going to just let it heal?

Here's a link that has some info on comp frax's and the treatment. Good Luck with the Calcitonin. Are you using the nasal calcitonin? Do they still have the injections or have those been phased out of treatment.

[url]http://lomalindahealth.org/health-library/a-z-health-guide/1/000443.htm[/url]

Take Care, I'm glad it isn't causing any pain!!! Just keep an eye on your height.

Old 08-31-2008, 03:25 PM   #10
    DesertBloom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

DesertBloom HB UserDesertBloom HB User

Hi Taape and Aleta: I haven't had a VFA (Vetebral Fracture Assesment) either, and I asked about it on my last dxa. Because I was getting 2 free scans that were involved in a study at the Univ, I couldn't get them to add on the additional VFA. When I have my next scan I will request it at LLU since they don't have the VFA in my town's imaging center. My insurance charges extra for the test, but I do know they pay for it, it's just an additional charge. You can go to the ISCD web site and look up the scanning facilties that do this test, and whether or not your current imaging center is ISCD accredited. All you need to do once you are there at the Inter Soc Clinical Densitometry (.org) is look for the patient link and then look up accredited facilities. I've been told that you should only use imaging centers that have this accredidation.

Good Luck...

Old 09-01-2008, 10:53 AM   #11
    taape
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Desertbloom - glad your back. I went to the website and found the patient information with questions and answers but I can't figure out how to find the list of accredited facilities. Can you give me a clue? Thanks

Closed Thread