It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Schizophrenia Message Board

• Anyone on Quetiapine or have tried it?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-30-2008, 07:44 PM   #16
    waratah
    (female)

waratah HB User
    Re: Anyone on Quetiapine or have tried it?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by 8800GTS View Post
    Bluehills, thanks for the quick reply! Awesome, this is getting good! I'm glad some of my wind was of use to ya... I know I ramble alot of things, and I do repeat myself ahahha, its bad, but I have a hard time explaining feelings in short sentences, so I write endless stuff ahaha. Fill me in on more if you want, I'm totally game for hearing anything and everything...

Thanks,
    Hi 8800GTS and Bluehills,

This discussion is really really interesting. The symptoms you're discussing are ones that I myself experience from time to time. But I'm not Bi-polar, but have Dx for Borderline PD, PTSD, Hashimoto's & CFD.

But I have to sale the being overly self-conscious and a bit paranoid deninitley has some resonance.

Is this what Seroquel is prescribed for? Paranoia?

I thought I was given Seroquel for sleep and anxiety. hmmmm , not sure at all now.

Regards, waratah

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-30-2008, 09:48 PM   #17
    8800GTS
    (male)

8800GTS HB User

Hello, thanks Waratah, I'm glad you replied. I'm also happy to see that you agree this is getting interesting! This may be a good forums piece for alot of peoples!

Waratah, thanks for being honest about your situation/diagnosis's, etc... It makes it that much easier to give in ideas and such... I'm surprised; to be honest; that you have a Personality Disorder... That you have Post Traumatic Stress Disorder as well... And Hashimotos thyroid disorder... I personally have never heard the name, "Hashimoto's," though, neither about, "CFD." Please, fill me in on these things; if and when you can... It would help me learn more as well.

So because you have a thyroid problem, I'm assuming at one point, when you went to see doctors, they were doing the trial and error list of finding out which diagnosis you truly have... And I'm assuming that they gave you a blood test of some sort; to test the levels of hormones/molecules that reside in your thyroid... (I'm alittle fuzzy to all the specific details behind thyroidism) I ask this; because I too was given this test... When I went into my psychiatrists office, they DID prescribe me meds right off the bat, BUT; they also asked that I go for a blood test to help determine whether or not its a physical, or mental issue thats been causing my psychotic-like symptoms... I was negative on the thyroid test, which is what the doctors usually use to determine if its a thyroid problem thats causing psychosis-like symptoms; OR; if its in fact; a malfunction somewhere else... (Perhaps the brain)

So far, I've had that test twice... Because after I was taking the meds for awhile I started to get where I thought I was showing signs of diabetes, it runs in our family, but also the antipsychotic medication, "Seroquel," is particularly linked to causing daibetes in its users... I'm curious, however... If maybe you're starting to rethink your diagnosis somewhat by hearing all of these conversations that you can/do relate to... Perhaps it wouldn't hurt to ask your doctor IF you could do another blood test to see if your thyroid is in fact causing this...? It won't make a difference as to what you're treatment ends up being, but it would make a difference to you. And thats important too.

I'm shocked because you have so many diagnosis's because I'm getting a vibe that you're also relatively close to what I've been through; in terms of onset of symptoms/order of events, etc... Do you personally notice that these diagnosis's seem correct from what you've experienced; and told to your doctor? Is it somewhat different? If so, maybe getting a second opinion would also be a thought to think about...

You're question as to what seroquel is prescribed for...? Sometimes its just prescribed for sleep, even for people without mental illnesses, or anything like that... Its a psychotropic, BUT; but its also a tranquilizer. And I don't know if those words mean anything different, but to me its a way of saying that its either used for psychiatric uses specifically; and or; used to tranquilize (put to sleep) at lower doses... The thing with antipsychotics is that its used for alot of different things as well... This is where my knowledge lacks because I don't like meds, BUT; I know for certain its not just used for any one thing... It is used for paranoid thinking... Irrational thinking/thoughts... Anxiety as you said, also to help sleep, etc... Things like that for sure... It basically effects dopamine in the brain, its a neurotransmitter; thats what they say it does anyways... And dopamine is what controls alot of things in the brain... I'm fuzzy on just what its for, BUT; I'll look and later on I'll post some info or find a good website, as for now; I'm extremely tired...

Anyways, I'm babbling, so please, let me know if this makes any sense at all, hopefully I've said something useful... Thank you for sharing more about yourself, I'm either schizophrenic/bipolar... BUT; I'm weary on all the diagnosis's because it doesn't matter what it is...

Thanks,

Old 08-30-2008, 10:56 PM   #18
    waratah
    (female)

waratah HB User

Hi 8800GTS,

Thanks for your reply. I completely agree with you that it doesn't matter which label is applied to the symptoms, just so long as there is someone to help with meds to quell those symptoms to a manageable level.

All those diagnosis mentioned have been applied to me over the past few years. I am a 47 year old mother, with 2 teenagers, married 16+ years, professional, employed, suburban mom.

I have shortcommings about each and every Dx received because, I don't fit neatly into a perfect fit with each of those Dx. e.g Borderline PD - Of the 5-6 categories identified in this disorder i.e Identity disturbance, emotional dysregulation, interpersonal, dissociation, extreme behaviour, suicidal and paranoid ideation, (and I've already forgotten the others) - I only identify with one or two of the milder symptoms, so this is called an 'underlying borderline personality structure'. Lucky me . . . .lol. . . .

But when I'm in a bad way, on a psychological downhill decline, well then, all bets are off - and nearly anything is possible.

I received the PTSD Dx in 2006 when I first sought professional help for those troubling psychological problems, apparently these are related to my childhood tauma and abuse.
    So, OK, now each time I go and see the 'lady shrink' I ask her if she still thinks it's BPD, and she always answers - Yes!" Does she think it's PTSD - "yes"

Those more extreme symptoms such as dissociation, paranoid & suicidal ideation arrive when I'm on a serious downhill trajectory - I can feel the decline, I begin to not be able to comprehend events and what people are saying to me. I hear them, but can't make sense of what is being said.

In terms of you being either Bi-polar or schitzophrenic, is it possible to reside somewhere on a continum, or perhaps within a matrix of diagnostic symptoms? I guess what I'm asking is that do you really need a label to your symptoms, to know you need meds to quell the symptoms?

My feeling is that OK, lablels help us make sense of the world, but targeting meds in treating symptoms, seems to me to be a far more focused approach than labelling, and treating to the label.

I do not know if I had a psychosis last year, perhpas it was only dellirium, perhapas I may never know, but when I feel myself sliding into the abyss, I know I have to get around the paranoid ideation, and seek assistance too.

I wonder if the Seroquel was intended to address both insomnia and psychosis? I'm anti-meds too, but I don't think I'd have survived too long in my state of deterioation for very long, so meds were the avenue of least harm.

I am not Bi-polar as I don't get those great highs, but gee sometimes I wouldn't mind. I imagine many Bi-polar highs are very productive and creative times for those that have them. What's it like? Can you explain it?

In terms of hallucinations - mmmmmm? Not really, but I do get lots of sweet pungent smells. e.g handcream, cookies baking, jasmine. Funny thing happened with my Year 11 Economics class early one morning, I could smell a strong smell of cinnamon doughnuts, and I asked the class, that whoever had the doughnuts had better have enough for all of us - or there'd be trouble. The whole class looked stony pale faced at me as I continued to protest about the strong smell of freshly cooked cinnamon doughnuts. Very very funny at the time . . . .. .lol. Now even my students know I'm a nutter - oh!, great . . . .lol

In terms of whether the psych problems stem from a Thyroid illness, well there's a whole pandoara's box full of worms on this topic. Just go and have a read over at the Thyroid board. I am marginally eythyroid (just within normal limits), BUT, have very very high Thyroid Anti-bodies about 250 times normal limits. There is much controversy in the literature on whether this can cause symptoms. Discussing it here on the boards or with medicos' well It's dangerous territory! Currently taking 50mcg thyroid replacement per day, and this current amount was recently reduced from an initial 100mcg daily dose.

Interesting that quetiapine is a 'neurotransmitter'. I wonder if in years to come, at the current rate of medical research, whether all these things currently labled 'mental illness' wil become accepted as part of the 'spectum of human diversity'.
    Remember, that not so long ago, Autism, cretinism, Downs etc were considered 'mental illnesses'. Just wondering if the stigma and prejudice will ever abate?

"Knowledge and education is my mission - she say's to herself. . . . . .lol."

Anyway, bye for now, and I'm happy to discuss symptoms any time you like, These boards have just been a blessing for my sanity too.
    regards, waratah

Old 08-31-2008, 06:22 AM   #19
    Bluehills
    (male)

Bluehills HB User

Hello 8800GTS and waratah,

No problem, write as much as you feel like anytime. Yes, only Zoloft has helped my depression. It seemed to have worked just overnight. I was more happy, felt good about more things. My irritability and anger were nil. No paranoia. And yes other people could tell the difference. I thought this was a miracle if there ever was one. But it's a darn shame that Zoloft was the only med that worked for me. Now after more than 25 years I have nothing to show for those other 29 meds I have tried. Different kinds of meds too, not only for just depression.

How quickly I can forget things that I have been told or that I have read. For the love of God I have the hardest time absorbing and keeping information. Like I'm brain dead. It's almost scary when someone at work (years past, I have no longer worked since June 2001 due to arthritis and depression.) tells you somehing to do and you may or may not remember everything they said.

Schizophrenia is a brain disorder that affects the way a person acts, thinks, and sees the world. People with schizophrenia have an altered perception of reality, often a significant loss of contact with reality. They may see or hear things that donít exist, speak in strange or confusing ways, believe that others are trying to harm them, or feel like theyíre being constantly watched. Schizophrenia is a mental illness that affects the way your brain receives and interprets information from the world around you. The illness can make it hard for you to organize your thoughts. It can be difficult to relate to other people.

I take back what I said about not believing I may have symptoms of schizophrenia or bipolar disorder. After reading more about it there are definitely symptoms of both schizophrenia and bipolar disorder in me. I may have disorganized speech, shifting subjects, etc. I feel some people are out to harm me. Blank facial expressions. Lack of emotion. Lack of ability to carry on conversations. Poor judgement. Slow thinking. I even have trouble talking sometimes. Can be embarrassing too.

Possible hallucinations. I can't elaborate much on that now, but maybe seeing things that aren't there. Like people in the distance when I am outside walking. I try to avoid people when possible, especially get togethers or groups of people.

Possible biploar disorder. I don't have any highs to speak of, but I do like to spend money, especially on computers. I really have to watch my spending because I do live on a limited budget, but I do live fairly comfortable.

I am paranoid more so when people look at me. I don't exactly look like your average Joe. I would say I'm not ugly, just a little different. Sometimes I can irritate people and don't have to say a thing. I have always tried to fit in and some people did/do like me. I did have a lot of friends many moons ago, but now....no! One recent women I used to work with said I wasn't bad looking. I took that with a grain of salt. It was nice to hear however.

Going out in public can be trying for me. Not too bad, but at the grocery store is when I feel more paranoid and it feels like more people are looking at me. I try to avoid eye contact most of the time to avoid more of those negative feelings.

As a matter of fact I know that the police are watching me now. No joke! Every morning about 6:15AM I go for my daily walk. To make this short, I have seen a lot of different people in the areas I have walked. I have basically three areas that I used to walk in. And always there were walkers and joggers in the area too. Some old faces, some new faces.

Not sure what I have done to deserve attention from the Dallas police force. I have more proof, but won't go into it more here. It is irritating just knowing the police are watching you. I'm not into crime and I never have been. Not sure what to do next. I am working on that now.

Sorry this was long. Now I got carried away. Have a good one people.

Old 08-31-2008, 10:27 PM   #20
    8800GTS
    (male)

8800GTS HB User

Great replies the both of ya Waratah and Blue! Its awesome to read this, and be able to learn from it all... Thanks again!

I read both your posts, and I have alot to add, unfortunately however; I have to leave EARLY in the morning for about a week, and I WOULD write a long reply right now, but I'm going to have to pass tonight... I WILL, however; reply as soon as I get the chance! I may even have enough time tommorow night, all depends on family's schedule, etc...

Hope all is well, and I WILL reply, just can't do it right now.

Thanks,

Old 10-24-2008, 10:46 AM   #21
    daveash
    (male)

daveash HB User

hello all,
    i m new one to this forum. my brother is suffering from paranoid schizophrenia. He was on olanzpine for the past 1.5 yrs but recently his problem increased and we consulted another psychiatrist. He has put on him Quetiapine ( Quitipin Fumarate Tablets ) initially and then stopped it after a week as far as i remember. Then he was given a Senorm injection ( 100 ml ) and put on Pacitane, Suphitac and Rivotril ( I know i am getting into too much detail here ). The doc said that the effect of the injection would wear off in three weeks but i think it happened a little before that. All the progress we had made in my brothers case was lost all of a sudden. He was same again..the sluttering in speach had returned and he was lost in himself again. At one point he even attacked my mom in utter frustration. We consulted the doc again and he said that all this might have happened baecause the Senorm injection he had given this time was of a lower dosage ( 50 ml ).
    As of now, the doc has decided to control my brothers situation by putting him on Quetiapine again, 400 mg for the next 5 days and 600 mg for the another 10 days following the 5 day period. Quetiapine has had a calming effect on him but he sleeps a lot. The doc says its pretty normal. My brother doesnt talk to me and prefers remaining solitary most of the times ( today he wanted to be in his room with the lights off ).
    I dont know how much this might be of help to all the people following this thread but i felt i should share my brothers condition with people who could understand him. I have a request to all the people who have suffered from Schizo..please advice me on how to behave with my brother. I cant watch him growing distant from me every passing day when the only thing i wish for is his betterment.
    thanks all

Old 10-24-2008, 11:01 AM   #22
    tony1527
    (male)

tony1527 HB Usertony1527 HB User

I once visited India,The FIRST YEAR OF MY MELT DOWN,MY PARENTS SENT ME TO A TOWN CALLED TRAVERDUM INDIA SOUTHERN PART OF INDIA.A BUDHISST CON MAN SAID HE COULD CURE ME,AND TAKE AWAY MY FEAR.THIS TOWN CALLED TRAVERDUM IS A TOWN WERE SICK PEOPLE GO TO GIVE THERE MONEY TO CON MEN.MAYBE YOU SHOULD GO TAKE YOUR BOTHER THERE AND GIVE THEM YOUR HARD EARDED MONEY GOOD LUCK

Old 10-25-2008, 09:35 AM   #23
    daveash
    (male)

daveash HB User

thanx tony,
    but i ws loooking for some actual suggestions.
    Tanx for taking the pain anyways..
    tc

Old 10-25-2008, 03:32 PM   #24
    tony1527
    (male)

You Want The The Truth Bro,your Bother Living A Nightmare,hes All Alone In This World,maybe Hell Have A Few Happy Moments.just Do Good In Your Life And Your Life For Your Bother.most People Wouldnt Last One Year In Your Bother Shoes.r U Happy Now

Old 10-29-2008, 05:25 PM   #25
    helen08
    (female)

helen08 HB User

i daveash i have just read your post and i thought i would add a post as i had a friend with the same condition so i can understand how you feel at the moment.. quetiapine is a very good medication for this illness and i was under the impression that is a softer drug for women than other drugs used my friend was female, if doctor has given to your brother then must be as good for men too. when started on quetiapine it has to be introduced week by week hence the different dose each week but once on the dose that suits your brother will be a very effective drug for him.. you will find he sleeps alot but once been on for a while he will ajust to it and it should relieve alot of his symptoms so he can live as much as a normal life as possible for him. i found with my friend that if i was normal around her and did every day things as we would it helped her alot and i noticed a difference in her once on quetiapine. it must be very frustrating for you at times but i found that once i found as much info as i could about the illness then i was able to help my friend more and she's doing really well only now and then has bad days {wanting to be alone} if you call into your local mental health resource centre you can get info on living with relatives with this illness and support that you can access to help you.. i wish your brother all the best and i hope that quetiapine helps him as much as it has my friend.

Old 10-29-2008, 08:08 PM   #26
    tony1527
    (male)

sry for the rude comments,just angry at the world.

Old 11-08-2008, 11:39 PM   #27
    daveash
    (male)

daveash HB User

hi helen,
    thanks a lot for the suggestions. The queiitapine IS making him sleep a lot..but the problem is that when he sees others around him are'nt sleeping he fights his sleep. appears drowsy troughout the day...but i think that is something v can manage with.
    Recently his dr. has added PALIPERIDONE to his list of meds that he takes. I read on some site that its a pretty good drug for schizophrenia. If your friend wishes then she can talk to her doc about this drug though i wish she s doing very fine. If u have any info about this med then plz let me kno .
    take care

Old 11-10-2008, 02:24 AM   #28
    helen08
    (female)

helen08 HB User

hi daveash

i haven't heard of PALIPERIDONE, but will look it up, my friends seems to be fine on queitapine as far as i know she is'nt taking anything with it, i know she did at first before she started quietiapine and when she started that she reduced the other drug and came off.. she seems to me to be a lot better than she was, and i rememeber her saying the quetiapine made her feel very drowsy so her doctor split her dose to 200mgs in the morning and 300mgs in the evening around 8-9pm which also made a good beneifit to her as she didnt feel as drowsy in the day and slept better at night i used to get lots of phone calls from her at night early hours but know she sleeps so i get some sleep too lol.

she recently had the meds reduced in the am from 200mg to 150mg as she found the drowsiness coming back and her doctor felt that maybe she didnt need as much so at the moment the 150mgs and 300mgs are working well and she has'nt had any bad epesiodes and it seems that just the quetiapine works well for her if your brother seems to manage with feeling drowsy but not happy with it he could chat to doctor about splitting the dose but must be discussed with doctor it might help during the day so then he can do things with you , shopping or walks getting out and doing small things which will be good distractions from the illness for him and give him normality, worked very well for my friend although some days i knew wasn't a good day for her so i'd just stay for a brew and chat but have noticed there's more good than bad days so from my experiance it seems that quetiapine is sucessfull and i would give it chance to work with your brother and see if you notice any changes and any improvements in his behaviour and ways of thinking which will be reasuring for you and you will know whether quetiapine is working for your brother you should see some positive changes which goes to show how medication really dose help..

Old 11-27-2008, 06:30 PM   #29
    shananigens
    (female)

shananigens HB User

i am on Seroquel and have been for a couple months. its the 3rd antipsychotic ive been on. im on 600mg and im still not symptom free. although this is the first med to take the voices away im still incridebly paranoid and delusinal. im also on clonazopam which does calm me down alot. i agree its way to expsensive, if i wasnt covered by the gov. i would be paying 400$ a month for it. and theres no way i could do that plus the other meds im on aswell.

my mom has asked our pharamsist if theres a generic form available in canada but she said no. so that kinda sucks but i recently just got on disability so i have a drug card and luckily it covers seroquel itself.

Old 11-28-2008, 04:02 AM   #30
    Bluehills
    (male)

Bluehills HB User

Hi shananigans. I haven't posted here in quite some time, but wanted to respond to you. I am currently taking 600 mgs of the generic Seroquel (Quetiapine) and wanted to tell you it is just a fraction of the cost of brand name Seroquel.

If you're paying roughly $400 a month for a 30 day suply of Seroquel then that is about $150 less than what goes towards my insurance total drug cost. I mean I am allowed $2510 this year for total drug costs. About $550 a month went towards the allotted amount with Seroquel per month. So I went through my insurance only 3 times for Seroquel, Jan, Feb, Mar, before I started ordering it through Canada. So that it wouldn't take long to reach my total drug cost per year, and then I would have to pay the total drug cost of all my meds taken which I definitely could not afford. And I also take Remeron, Clonazepam, Depakote, Lipitor and Methotrexate for arthritis too.

Due to this, I found a pharmacy in Canada where I can get Quetiapine for around $314 for 200 ct pills. They only go as high as 300 mgs per pill, so you need to double your order. Still that is a 100 day supply. You have to go through a Canadian pharmacy to get it. Do some Googling and compare prices with other Canadian pharmacies. But Canada in turn gets it from overseas. I do not know why we can't order direct from Europe or India, etc. The U.S. must have the highest pricing of meds anywhere in the world is the way I look at it.

I also asked my pharmacy about Quetiapine, but she acted as though it didn't exist. I know she knew it did. For reasons unknown, we have to either pay the high price (rip off) of Seroquel here, or order it through a Canadian pharmacy that is a lot cheaper, but still a high price to pay compared to other meds.

Shananigans, have you tried Navane. It is also treated for schizophrenia and paranoia. I used to take it, but my doctor took me off of it due to a chance of developing T.D. a rare but bothersome side effect. But Seroquel can do it too. When I recently changed doctors, I asked her to put me back on Navane because its generic is super cheap. I will take my chances and start using Navane again. I see my doctor again next Tuesday. She will say either yes or no. Actually it is up to me. It's my life and body. And Serquel / Quetiapine is hard on the currency. Take care.

Closed Thread