It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board

• Best running shoes?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-31-2008, 07:47 PM   #1
    tUrRrRa
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User
    Best running shoes?

I'd like to get some opinions on some really good running shoes. I'm a mostly indoor runner that likes to run on the treadmill or on an indoor track if I have access to have (usually it's just the treadmill).

I usually buy some sort of Nike's, but really only started running regularly this past year. My previous pair of shoes were Asics (the only wide width shoes I could find that I liked!), but I seemed to get lower leg pain. I also wear arch supports inside my shoes for extra support. I had them for almost 6 months, so I bought a new pair of Nike Shox today. They fit perfectly, but I've heard some negative feedback on Shox. I couldn't find any shoes that fit correctly (I need them wider or I'll get bunions and bunionettes) without having to order online and HOPE that they fit. I'm hoping these work fine since I run indoors and I'm not a sprinter and go about 7mph in a gentle environment, with the arch supports for extra support and cushioning.

Let me know if any of you have any favorite brands or recommendations! I know many people who like New Balance, but they are too narrow for me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-01-2008, 12:13 AM   #2
    Lynn8
    (female)

Lynn8 HB User
    Re: Best running shoes?

A friend of mine, has wide feet and a runner uses Asics 2110, 2120 (both discontinued but you can find them online) and Asics 2130 and happy with them. He also uses Orthotix that he got from a Podiatrist recommended by other runner friend.
    You need to find a good Podiatrist, some of them didn't make good orthotix and they are expensive , you need to ask around from other people in your neighborhood.

He said he also tried New Balance wide shoes, like you, his feet still hurt.
    He tried Asics Gel Kayano (another Asics product that carry wide shoes) and didn't like it.

Last edited by Lynn8; 09-01-2008 at 12:30 AM.

Old 09-01-2008, 05:36 AM   #3
    boubou
    (female)

boubou HB User

I have orthotics and use Saucony. They are pretty wide and deep enough for the orthotics.

Old 09-01-2008, 03:17 PM   #4
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Go to a shop that specializes in outfitting runners. They'll have you walk for them - barefooted - and maybeuse a machineot check your feet. When I finished up my surgeries I went to one here in B'ham called the Trak Shak. They talked with me about my injuries, how much I wanted to run and had me walk barefooted on a concrete floor to check for pronation. They gave me 3 different shoes to try. One Nike, one Saucony and I forget the 3rd brand. I ended up with the Saucony. Have been wearing that style ever since. I later had a stress fracture and had them recheck me after it healed. Still in the Saucony.

Old 09-01-2008, 03:57 PM   #5
    tUrRrRa
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

Thank you for the advice! About how expensive are the items mentioned usually? I was able to afford shoes that were over $100, but I can't afford too much more. I am actually just out of college and even have to limit how much food I buy because rent eats up a lot of my money.

Titchou, can you tell me a little bit about how you found out you had stress fractures? I was reading a magazine earlier about these and they sound like what I deal with. They are definitely NOT shin splints as everybody keeps suggesting. I have had many shin splints in the past when I was out of shape and first started running (or if I run on a different surface I'm not used to). This is different... and the pain feels more in the bone rather than the shin muscles. I feel as if somebody kicked me hard in my shins. Running isn't hard for me and I have increased the intensity of my workouts quite a bit in the past half year or so, so I'm thinking I may have the beginning of stress fractures.

I haven't tried Saucony, so I'll definitely try them out! I liked my Asics... I think I may have had leg pain that wasn't related to those particular shoes. I just bought my Nikes and have already used them, but will be buying new ones probably around the holiday season... I try to replace them often.

Old 09-02-2008, 04:16 AM   #6
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

My stress fracture was in my foot - 4th met. Excurciating pain was how I knew something was wrong!

<removed>

Last edited by mod-anon; 09-02-2008 at 07:09 AM. Reason: do not discuss online purchasing

Old 09-02-2008, 09:00 PM   #7
    lobosprinter03
    (male)

lobosprinter03 HB User

Just remember you get what you pay for and this is especially true for running shoes. I've been running for about 10 years, through high school, college and now post collegiate, and while in high school I could get away with cheap shoes I found as I started running in college and my workouts got more intense I needed to spend that extra money. In college I developed shin splints is what it sounds like you could be suffering from a bit. I had to switch to a rather stiff shoe, I chose Tailwind but Nike stopped making that so I switched to the Pegasus and it has been one of the best shoes I've ever owned. I'm a sprinter/jumper so I pound a lot on my feet. There is also the Nike Volmero which is a bit stiffer than the Pegasus and lighter. Those are what I would recommend but like someone else said try going to a private running store, no Finishline or Foot Locker, while their prices are cheap they usually don't know what they are talking about. I know there are some stores too that have a treadmill with a camera hooked to it so they can analyze your run. Hope this helps and keep running its good for body and soul.

Last edited by mod-anon; 09-02-2008 at 10:41 PM. Reason: removed quote

Old 09-02-2008, 10:03 PM   #8
    runnningmom
    (female)

runnningmom HB User

My opinion of Nike Shox is that they are a fashion statment, and not truely meant to be run in.

The best running shoes are the ones that fit your foot mechanics. There are 3 types of shoes: Neutral for those who have high arches (also for lighter weight runners), Stability for those who have more flat feet and a tendency to "over pronate" that is the ankle rolls to the inside during the foot strike (also for heavier runners with higher arches) and Motion control which are for those with flat feet and greater over pronation.

It is really best to go to a reputable running store to buy running shoes, at least for the first time so you can determine which type of shoes you need. Do not get shoes from a place like Foot locker, though they carry the same brands, they are generally not the same quality shoes you get at a running store. They will look at your feet and start trying on shoes and watch you run in each of them. They generally start with the most neutral and work their way up. The cost of a good running shoe from a running store is around $100, though some will be less or more.

<removed>

A pair of running shoes will last about 300-500miles, after that they do not give the support you may need and you'll start to have some knee or foot pain (or possibly hip and back pain as well or instead).

Having the right pair of shoes is paramount for a good running career to help stave of injury!

Happy running

Last edited by mod-anon; 09-02-2008 at 10:39 PM. Reason: do not discuss online purchasing

Old 09-06-2008, 12:31 AM   #9
    tUrRrRa
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Thank you for your advice! Now that I'm running regularly, I'll definitely look for a good store that specializes in running shoes rather than going to a regular sneaker store, like I usually do.

I do have high arches, as I always need arch supports and realized what a big difference they made for me.

Regarding shin splints, how can I tell if they are what I have or not? Are there different KINDS of shin splints? If so, that may be it. If they should feel the same, then I am sure it isn't what I have. I used to get shin spints very often when I first started running and could feel a lot of pain my muscles, but now my muscles feel 100% great, my workouts are VERY easy for me as I'm trying to prevent pain right now, and I have pain if I squeeze the bones on the sides of my leg. It also hurts to squat or go up and down my stairs (I live on the third floor of an apartment complex). It isn't excrutiating, but according to descriptions to stress fractures to the tibia or fibula, it sounds like that could be possible too since it hurts in one area, and has for months.

When I give myself a break, it does not really get better! Does anyone think this can still be shin splints? I'd of course rather have those than stress fractures or something else. If I'm just sitting, I can move around my legs and don't feel a thing. Besides good shoes and shin exercises, what else are some good things to prevent them? I avoid running on pavement or concrete.

Thank you!

Old 09-06-2008, 12:41 AM   #10
    tUrRrRa
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I am also confused as to why I would get shin splints when I am not increasing my activity. I'd get muscle pain that was obvious shin splints when I first would inrease my activity or would change the ground I am running on. I would feel tight and sore at my shins and stretching and massaging helped. Now it's so much different. It isn't the same pain. It's more of an internal pain if that makes sense and is dull, but with more movement, it hurts more. My muscles don't feel it at all. Sometimes I wonder if it even has to do with my running! I was wearing heels very often for work and was walking four blocks downtown from my parking space to where I work (not very smart of me!) and think maybe this caused the pain. I now pack different shoes for when I'm walking and bought some flats to wear to work as well.

Old 09-06-2008, 10:38 AM   #11
    artjen
    (female)

artjen HB User

I would recommend going to a running store and getting fitted for running shoes. The people there will watch you walk and run to see how your foot moves. From there they will recommend different shoes/brands that you can try. That is the way I found my perfect running shoes. Mine are by Saucony also and they are fantastic!

Old 09-25-2008, 06:58 PM   #12
    tUrRrRa
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Yeah! I'm finally able to run again. I took a break from running and stuck with the bike and elliptical. I think I may have just had a minor injury from working out too hard too fast, stepping wrong, or from my walking to and from work. I work in a city downtown and have to park about 3 blocks from my building and used to wear heels for this walk. I now change shoes (smart idea) and it's been helping. Plus, I don't ruin my nice work shoes. I may not have the best running shoes ever, but I only run indoor on the treadmill and have been sticking with a slower jog (about 6 mph) instead of faster as I used to. I will work my way back up with time... I just am scared of injuring myself again and not being able to run again.

Funny thing is, I removed my arch supports from my shoes. About the time the pain started happening, I did several different things. 1, I added the arch supports. 2, I was working out much more than I used to. Instead of it getting easier, it was harder and I'd feel like I was going to pass out sometimes because I wasn't getting enough sleep and was wearing myself out. 3, I started a new job where I dress professional and wore heels much more. I think the combination of these things caused the stress on my legs! Have any of you actually had trouble from arch supports?

Old 10-04-2008, 01:46 PM   #13
    Nicole74
    (female)

Nicole74 HB UserNicole74 HB User

Quote:
    Let me know if any of you have any favorite brands or recommendations!
    I personally love the Brooks GTS series. They are very comfy on my feet and will last me a good 500 miles before I replace them.

Closed Thread