It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board

• Cold Knife Cone

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-03-2008, 12:48 PM   #1
    Kell1960
    (female)

Kell1960 HB User
    Cold Knife Cone

I went to the Gyn/Onc today. I really liked him and felt very comfortable. He said to me, "When I'm explaining something to you, if you have any questions please interrupt me right away and ask them". I'm so glad I went.

I'm scheduled for a Cold Knife Cone September 11th.

Can anyone tell me about their experience with Cold Knife Cone? Pain afterward? Bleeding? etc..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-03-2008, 04:26 PM   #2
    Pickle Eyes
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User
    Re: Cold Knife Cone

I'm so glad you are comfortable with him! That is really important. He sounds wonderful.

I have had 2 cold knife cones. The first one was in April and the second one was the day before my hysterectomy, so its healing process has kind of merged with the hysterectomy recovery in my little brain! So I'll share about the first cone.

I was scheduled for day surgery on a Friday. We arrived at the surgery center at 6 or 6:30. I was first on the list. Since it was general anesthesia, I wasn't allowed anything to eat/drink after midnight the night before.

I went in, changed into the lovely hospital gown and drab-tan antislip socks. I was taken to my little "holding bay" separated by a curtain from the next bay. A nurse came and hooked up my IV. The anesthesiologist stopped by to introduce herself and visit for a few minutes. Several nurses came by with comments/questions. My doctor stopped by and visited for a few minutes. I signed the final consents for surgery. They started my versed (I looooove that med! It reduces and anxiety stress immediately!). They wheeled me to the surgery suite. I remember going through the door and them asking me to scoot over on the table. Then next thing I knew I was back in my little bay, postop.

The surgery took about 30 minutes. My doctor did another ECC, D&C, endometrial biopsy, and the cone biopsy.

I remember being in some pain and some nausea when I woke up, but the nurse was right there and gave me some injections (into my IV) for pain and nausea. They helped right away. After about 45 minutes of being groggy, I made my first restroom trip. About 45 minutes after that I was dressing and heading out the door. I was home before noon. (yes, I lost track of some time, but I can't remember the times exactly. What can I say, I'm getting old! hahaha)

I slept most of that day. I got up that evening and ate some dinner, got on the computer for a little while, then went back to bed. I don't recall what my pain med was. It was either some vicodin or just plain ol' ibuprofen. If it was vicodin, I only took a couple of pills total.

Saturday, I rested and slept a lot, but don't recall any real pain. It was more like discomfort like from period cramps (I didn't get really bad period cramps - just dull aching). Sunday, I was up and went grocery shopping, but hubby went went me and pushed the cart. I was back at work on Monday.

I spotted for about a week afterwards.

I hope that helps!

Old 09-03-2008, 04:41 PM   #3
    Kell1960
    (female)

Kell1960 HB User

Thanks Pickle Eyes! That was helpful.

His nurse said they will try to schedule me for early morning. It's on a Thursday, so she told me not to work Friday. I'm already off the weekend and Monday so I'll go back to work Tuesday.

Dr. C said if the cold cone comes back with positive margins or if he finds cancer hiding someplace then the next step will be a hysterectomy.

I really really liked him. He even drew pictures when he was explaining things to me. His nurse told me I made the right decision to see an Gyn/Onc when I clearly needed the cold cone and waiting six months is unacceptable.

Now, I feel like I'm in good hands.

Old 09-03-2008, 07:32 PM   #4
    Pickle Eyes
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kell1960 View Post
    Dr. C said if the cold cone comes back with positive margins or if he finds cancer hiding someplace then the next step will be a hysterectomy.
    I wasn't told that. I think my doctor was really thinking I didn't have cancer (because of my history) but she was just following protocol. My regular doctor and my gyn were totally caught off guard that I had cancer!

My margin was clear, but I think it was just barely. And since it was adenocarcinoma in situ, they weren't convinced that just because they found one lesion (1.6mm x 1mm deep) that there weren't others close by but not in the sample. That is a particular concern of adenocarcinomas; they can skip over healthy cells and not show up in a sample. It is a bit confusing, but that is why I was told I needed the hyst.

Anyway, I'm glad your doctor has given you the what-ifs.

Keep us updated, ok, Kell!

Closed Thread