It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain & Nervous System Disorders Message Board

• Dizziness, Imbalance, And Tinnitus

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-20-2008, 08:51 AM   #16
    Ashley9045
    Veteran
    (female)

Ashley9045 HB UserAshley9045 HB User
    Re: Dizziness, Imbalance, And Tinnitus

Since I have been going through this horrible exhaustion etc... it is amazing how you have to tell the doctor to do certain tests. I really wonder about the medical profession anymore!! Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-20-2008, 01:53 PM   #17
    cindys601
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

cindys601 HB User

Hi Asley~

Many of us have been where you are and many still are. When Dr's hit a road block, you really have to take matters into your own hands and be your own health care advocate. When your not feeling well, and exhaustion is getting the best of you, it is a tough road to travel. But save the energy for what you need to do to help yourself

If only dr's were truly miracle workers

Take care

Cindy

Old 09-21-2008, 05:08 AM   #18
    robinegg
    (female)

robinegg HB Userrobinegg HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ashleymichele23 View Post
    Rainbows End,

I read your list of symptoms and are these from low vitamin B12. You could not have listed these any better, I pretty much have the same symptoms, have low iron and anemia, low vitamin D, but no one ever tested me for my vitamin B12. Do you think I should have this done?
    Hey There

Yes my symptoms are from a B12 deficiency my level was 130.....but i have had symptoms since 372 5 years ago..they just got worse and different
    I also have low folate & vitD...
    You low iron and anemia I would definatively be tested for B12 to make sure your anemai is not realted to it as in Pernacious Anemia......
    I recommend you have theses tests..
    B12 serum...uMMA...Homocysteine...(these 2 are important because if your levels are in the so called normal range 200-800 these will be elevated with a deficiency...interestingly in Japan the lower end is 550 my doctor said that it shouldnt go below 700 and my gastro wants me at 1600) ..
    Also have your Red Cell Folate done too..........Lots of people present with sympyoms at around 400 I believe neurological damage can occur at that level range for some....
    You could always get tested for celiac as well esp if you are low in iron ...
    What are some of your symptoms....?

Remember to be persistant with your dov if he says no you need to cover all bases and B12 is easy to treat

Good Luck
    Take care

Old 09-21-2008, 05:17 AM   #19
    robinegg
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cknmbbl View Post
    Rainbow,
    I also have I a dx of MAV, like Tyler. This is very interesting. You are doing much better after treatment for B-12, right?

I looked at some old results that say my B-12 is 300ng/mL. Normal range is 211-911. I called my dr to ask about having this repeated along with the other tests you mentioned. So even though my results are "normal", it is "low normal". Any thoughts?

Just wanted to mention at that same time my Vit D level was 31.8, normal range was 32-100. I was treated for that and it took 5 months just to turn that around.

CK
    Hi There
    Yes you are low normal you need to get this checked again for sure...I was presenting with symptoms at that level.. That is too low....I would advise you to have the following tests..B12 serum...uMMA....Homocysteine these last 2 are important cause if you r levels are in the so called normal range these will be elevated in a B12 deficiency....
    I does take a long time to recover with B12 therapy for me it got worse before it started to improve you dont feel fantastic after the 1st shot it takes time to rebiuld and heal damage I believe even up ... to a year it is an insideous thing so it takes a while to get back my system is saturated in B12 at the present my doc is trating it aggresively which is fine with me...

Best wishes

Ps I have tinnitus told this was related it is not bad though
    I am vitD deficient and low folate

Old 09-21-2008, 06:04 AM   #20
    Ashley9045
    Veteran
    (female)

Can low B12 make you feel foggy, dizzy and off balance sometimes, and one more, horribly exhausted!! I know other things can do this, as the anemia I have, low ferritin, but my levels are going up on these but I am still feeling so exhausted.

Old 09-21-2008, 09:23 PM   #21
    robinegg
    (female)

Quote:
    Can low B12 make you feel foggy, dizzy and off balance sometimes, and one more, horribly exhausted!! I know other things can do this, as the anemia I have, low ferritin, but my levels are going up on these but I am still feeling so exhausted.
    Hi tHere
    Oh yeah for sure all of the above I had nd my dizziness is still hanging around alittle but getting better......It may be wise to have your thyriod checked as well blood pressure and sugar levels aswell just to exclude them....May I ask do you have a flu like feeling, sore throat that comes and goes swollen lymph nodes at times? Hope you dont mind my asking...
    The exhaustion can be unrelenting esp as the day goes on I was always looking for coffeee but it doesnt have a good friendship with my tummy...
    I was positve for rombergs test every time I stood still with my eyes closed I would topple over not very nice you should have seen my on 1 foot....

Do you have any numbness pins & needles?

Cheers

Old 09-22-2008, 02:38 AM   #22
    Ashley9045
    Veteran
    (female)

Hello,
    No flu like symptoms, yes, and I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism so my thyroid is a little off too. I have been so scared I have MS due to the off balance and dizzy feeling, but I am seeing so many aliments can mimic these symptoms. This is no fun!!!

Old 09-22-2008, 03:30 AM   #23
    cindys601
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

cindys601 HB User

Hi Ashley~

When I began my journey for answers, Dr's were saying proboble MS and looking at the symptoms of MS and my own, I thought they had nailed my diagnosis and I was convinced I had it. But then I went for test after test and nothing was found and MS was ruled out.

Its definately alot of work and you really get tired of all these tests. But if what your dealing with is affecting your quality of life, you have to trudge on until someone hits it.

In the meantime, use the boards for support. It was a life saver for me. Here, people understand what your going through and you have a place to vent out the frustration. Of course we have friends and family in the outside world but they just don't understand why we look fine but feel so bad. I suffer from vertigo and its really scary sometimes. But we're here for you

Cindy

Old 09-22-2008, 04:57 AM   #24
    aether4
    Veteran
    (female)

aether4 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ANDREW28 View Post
    I am a 79 year-old male, and i have had constant dizziness, poor balance, and pulsatile tinnitus over the past two years. The symtoms have worsened over time, having started with just occasional dizziness. Tests at a dizziness center at a major university major lead to a conclusion that the symptoms were not related to an inner ear problem. I have consulted with several other physicians, and they tend to believe that the basic problem is related to atrophy of my cerebellum . I would be most grateful to hear from any people who have had similar problems, and their solution. Thanks, frank
    Everyone has went pretty far off track here... Cerebellum atrophy sounds pretty serious -and, sadly, progressive. I suggest you listen to your doctors about this one or find a better doctor to treat you for this as it can, hopefully, be slowed down.

The reason it's hard for anyone to really guess what's going on though is because the symptoms you list are so common, yet what you have is less so. I myself get those sort of symptoms due to poor blood flow to my brain when standing.

Old 09-22-2008, 05:12 AM   #25
    Ashley9045
    Veteran
    (female)

Cindys601

I had these symptoms about 3 years ago and had an MRI and saw a neuro. and they did say no MS, but here I am again, having the same symptoms, anemic, low ferritin, menopausal so there are so many things going on, who knows..

Old 09-22-2008, 10:29 PM   #26
    robinegg
    (female)

Quote:
    Hello,
    No flu like symptoms, yes, and I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism so my thyroid is a little off too. I have been so scared I have MS due to the off balance and dizzy feeling, but I am seeing so many aliments can mimic these symptoms. This is no fun!!!
    Hi
    You are telling me its no fun although I am feeling sooooo much better its great..... I had dizziness, Imbalance I still have tinnitus but I have not been having therapy very long and it can take a while.....
    The reason i asked about flu like feelings and sore throat and glands on top of all the other things can be from CFS also treated with large doses of B12

Interestingly enough a lot of B12 deficient people have hypothyroidisim there seems to be a connection...... I dont know it maybe an autoimmune thing I know a lot of PA people also have Hashimotos.......
    The tests are so simple and treatment is easy make sure along with B12 serum you get Homocysteine & uMMA these are more sensitive & will show a deficeincy as they will be elevated even if serumm is in the lab normal range really anything below 700 is to low neurological damage can start at as low as 500

If you search in google for Dr Joesph Chandy & MS you will find some good info regarding B12 he is based in the Uk ...The UK MS society I think that is right has a write up about it..........

Good Luck

Old 09-22-2008, 10:31 PM   #27
    robinegg
    (female)

That was the MS research society

Old 09-23-2008, 02:32 AM   #28
    Ashley9045
    Veteran
    (female)

Rainbow,

Were all your problems due to the B12 deficiency?

Old 09-23-2008, 05:51 PM   #29
    robinegg
    (female)

Quote:
    Rainbow,

Were all your problems due to the B12 deficiency?
    Hi Ashleymichele23

Yes they were,,,,,,,,But I am also gluten intolerant which eventually cause vit deficiecnies mine B12,VitD3,Folate classic for gluten

Celiacs will usually complain of foggy head, tinglies, this is probably due to no B12 getting into the cells mine just got so severe it created all kinds of nuerological problems from having to urinate a few times every hour to testing positive for rombergs
    But there are many causes for B12 problems gluten just one its good to find out why .....In my opinion

Cheers

Closed Thread