It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board

• stapedectomy - day 6 post op

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-15-2008, 09:40 AM   #1
    kitchener12
    (female)

kitchener12 HB User
    stapedectomy - day 6 post op

Hi there,
    I had my stapedectomy 6 days ago. on left ear. Hearing in right ear is fine for now.

I have some numbness on my tounge still ?? Also I have had some wicked bouts of vertigo.
    I have 2 small kids (3 and 7 months) and I am hoping that all will be better soon enough.
    I have to admit I have had some doubts about having the procedure done but here I am and will just have to suck it up I guess...

Also the main reason I decided to go ahead with the surgery was the sporadic pulsatile tinnitus that developed during my fist pregnancy 4 yrs ago.

At the moment I feel pretty down about going through all this.

Any words of wisdom out there??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-22-2008, 07:04 AM   #2
    waterone
    (female)

waterone HB User
    Re: stapedectomy - day 6 post op

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kitchener12 View Post
    Hi there,
    I had my stapedectomy 6 days ago. on left ear. Hearing in right ear is fine for now.

I have some numbness on my tounge still ?? Also I have had some wicked bouts of vertigo.
    I have 2 small kids (3 and 7 months) and I am hoping that all will be better soon enough.
    I have to admit I have had some doubts about having the procedure done but here I am and will just have to suck it up I guess...

Also the main reason I decided to go ahead with the surgery was the sporadic pulsatile tinnitus that developed during my fist pregnancy 4 yrs ago.

At the moment I feel pretty down about going through all this.

Any words of wisdom out there??
    Hang in there! I had my stapedectomy two months ago and had the tounge numbness on and off until just recently. I couldn't hear anything in the operated ear until the packing was removed (14 days post op). Now i hear great and have no tinnitus in my operated ear!

Do you still have tinnitus? I am sure the vertigo will go away, give it time.

Old 09-23-2008, 03:33 PM   #3
    kitchener12
    (female)

kitchener12 HB User

Hi

THanks for your note of support! I am actually feeling much better now ( 14 days post op) the dizzies seem to have diminished to late in the evening, when I should be in bed!
    Also hoping the tounge improves before Christmas....
    I have not had much tinnitus for the past 24 hours almost, and I have been listening for it, which I know I shouldn't do but its hard, so fingers crossed all will be totally healed in the next 6 weeks or so. It would be great to go to sleep with out hearing my heart beating in my ear for once!!

I think it was your post regarding MRIs did you have a titanium implant? I think they are ok to MRI?
    Hope your little one is ok?

Take care

Old 09-23-2008, 03:37 PM   #4
    TXMommy27
    (female)

TXMommy27 HB User

I had my first stap. (left ear) 7/15, and it was a huge success! Every now and then I get an ear-achey feel in there, but nothing bad. My hearing is great - it was in and out for a couple of weeks, but once ALL the packing was gone, it was awesome! Loud noises are sometimes painful, but the dr. said it's not going to damage my new hearing - just taking the brain a while to learn to process sounds at higher levels. I teach school, so you can imagine...the last month has been great therapy!

Hang in there - I got a little freaked after doing it too. Stay on the meds your dr. gave you and stay on top of sinus issues. That's been the hardest adjustment!

I am having my right ear done in 3 weeks! I am so excited! I hate taking 4 days off work (plus 2 days weekend, so 6 days to recover!), but it's worth it. The hearing issues won't be as big a deal this time because my left ear hears so well, it will compensate. I still have a hearing aid in my right ear, but usually I forget to wear it - I only notice it;s not in when a child comes and speaks softly to me on my right side. The left hearing aid hasn't been used since before surgery!

Oh yeah - and my tinnitus has gone too! It was VERY bad in the days after surgery - painful to the point of tears and sleeplessness. But then it was just GONE... Still have it in the right ear sometimes, but it used to be in both.

You're going through the hardest time. It really will get better!!

Old 09-23-2008, 07:07 PM   #5
    kitchener12
    (female)

kitchener12 HB User

HI TXMommy27
    Thanks for your message, yep I know loud noises make my ear really sensitive... my friend was over today with her 2 year old who ran around with a noisy plastic lawnmower until it drove me crazy enough to take it away from her! it just feels really delicate!
    Luckily I don't have any sinus issues although both my kids have runny noses at the mo...bleagh
    I hope my tinnitus has lessened I don't want to jinks it by talking about it though....I did sleep last night with no noise which was a real treat.

I wish you the best of luck for your next surgery

Old 09-23-2008, 07:19 PM   #6
    kitchener12
    (female)

kitchener12 HB User

HI TXMommy27
    Thanks for your message, yep I know loud noises make my ear really sensitive... my friend was over today with her 2 year old who ran around with a noisy plastic lawnmower until it drove me crazy enough to take it away from her! it just feels really delicate!
    Luckily I don't have any sinus issues although both my kids have runny noses at the mo...bleagh
    I hope my tinnitus has lessened I don't want to jinks it by talking about it though....I did sleep last night with no noise which was a real treat.

I wish you the best of luck for your next surgery

Old 09-24-2008, 08:16 PM   #7
    TXMommy27
    (female)

TXMommy27 HB User

Thanks! I know what you mean about jinxing yourself -- I didn't tell anyone for about a month because I was sure it would come back!

The worst night was about 3-4 days after my surgery and it sounded and felt like sawing in my ear. All night long, it was awful and I'll admit, I cried. But it did get better.

One big adjustment...I am a lighter sleeper now. Sometimes I sleep on my good ear just to block the sounds I never heard before. My husband's fish tank drives me nuts, and I learned that he snores.... That's the "bad" thing about getting the other ear done - I can't block it out! I used to sleep like a baby, but I am happy to trade that for the peace of mind of knowing I can hear if a family member needs me in the middle of the night!

Working and living with young kids, I catch plenty of colds - the hardest thing is not blowing my nose! My tongue was never numb, but the taste buds on the operated side are slightly weaker still - cheese tastes more like butter, but only if I really pay attention. Most of the time I don't notice.
    Good luck in your recovery - it really does get better and better!

Old 04-23-2009, 10:40 AM   #8
    Sallyndh
    (female)

Sallyndh HB User
    Packing in ear after operation

I am 9 days post op and can barely hear out of the operated ear. My surgery and recovery were a breeze...very little vertigo, no nausea. Yes strange sounds in my ear, popping, tinnitus, etc. I'm getting concerned because my hearing hasnt returned yet. I have packing in my ear that is supposed to dissove over time. I go back to see the doctor in 12 days. When does this packing fully dissolve? Is this why I can't hear? Please let me know your experiences with the dissolvable packing and hearing.

Old 04-24-2009, 06:16 AM   #9
    MMcL
    (male)

MMcL HB User
    Re: Packing in ear after operation

Hi, I had a stapedectomy week ago. The doctor removed all the packing manually 6 days afterwards. He did not mention anyhing about it dissolving. Everything was loud from that point on and the following da a well. Sounds ere somewat tinny a if the higer pitces were more revalent than the lower. Hearing test showed 40% more hearing was gained. 2 days after removing the packing hearing seems dull again. Almost if it has gone back to the old levels again. I eadthat tis can happen and the healing and sound improvement takes time. I go back in 3 weeks for another test. I do get clicking and popping when I swallow. Am nt sure today what to think.

Closed Thread