It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lasik Eye Surgery Message Board

• lasek eye surgery/astimagtism/dry eyes

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-30-2008, 11:31 PM   #1
    avisgt
    (female)

avisgt HB User
    lasek eye surgery/astimagtism/dry eyes

Hi,
    I have chronic dry eyes symtoms and I am told the lasek will correct the problem..I also have astigmatism.

thanks

Avis

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-01-2008, 06:35 AM   #2
    Randiscan
    (female)

Randiscan HB User
    Re: lasek eye surgery/astimagtism/dry eyes

Hi,
    I just had the lasix 3 days ago and to my knowledge if you have dry eyes then the surgery will only make it worse, not better! They do tests to see if you would be a good candidate for the surgery by testing your eyes for tears. They will tell you if your not a good candidate. Hope that helps!
    Randi

Old 10-01-2008, 10:01 PM   #3
    ljohnson42
    (female)

ljohnson42 HB User
    Unhappy Re: lasek eye surgery/astimagtism/dry eyes

I have an astigmatism and was near sighted. I have had 2 surgeries and the astigmatism is still there but now I am far sighted! I can't see from my nose to two feet in front of me. Night driving is very scary. The headlights and street lights blur like halos and it is awful for driving. I have been like this for 9 months. I never had dry eyes but now they burn and itch most of the time. In the beginning it was so bad I could hardly stand it but now they put me on some very expensive drops for 6 months at $80.00 per month and they put plugs in my tear ducts at $100.00 per month to help the dryness. I would never have done this had I known what the results would be. Now they are saying that when they add the + farsighted to the - astigmatism - my eyes are only +.25 off and it does not sound like they will do another touchup. My optomitrist advises against it anyway saying I won't have enough tissue left and it will be a problem later in life. I can't believe I have gone through months of pain and blurryness not to mention thousands of dollars and am worse off than when I started!

Old 11-19-2008, 06:00 PM   #4
    Cack23
    (female)

Cack23 HB User

Hello,

I had Lasik surgery 4 years ago. I also had a horrible astimagtism before my surgery. I had an enhancement due to how heavy my astimagtism was. Although the correction was right, I have extremely bad dry eyes. I am 23 and started a job just a couple of months ago in a lab and now I'm having to quit due to the chemicals enhancing my dryness. I have been on a search to find something to relieve the dryness. I am confident that your dryness will continue to get a little better well after 9 months. ...I literally saw some improvement over a period of 2.5 years. One study that came out recently said your nerves don't fully grow back until 5 years after surgery with Lasik...Lasek could also be the same ...look for studies on nerve growth for lasek. I am looking for new improvement continuosly because the pain from the dryness is so bad. The only newest product I have found is a product by Eyegate pharma. It is called EGP-437 (a combination drug/device) which is coming out in early 2009. I am very sorry to hear about your surgery results and hope atleast combating the dryness can help you start somewhere...by the way if you want I can maybe help with little things that I have found that are on the market for dryness issues

Old 11-22-2008, 08:34 PM   #5
    Madsmom2008
    (female)

Madsmom2008 HB User

I had a prob with dry eyes before my surgery which made wearing contacts a pain. After the surgery my eyes are so dry now, that I keep a bottle of Systane eye drops on my night stand and use them before I even think of getting out of bed in the morn. These drops are more viscus than normal drops and work wonders for me. Good luck!

Old 11-25-2008, 11:41 AM   #6
    Hicompression
    (male)

Hicompression HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by avisgt View Post
    Hi,
    I have chronic dry eyes symtoms and I am told the lasek will correct the problem...

thanks

Avis
    You're kidding right? Lasek will in no way correct dry eye. It can make it worse however.

Old 02-11-2009, 10:00 PM   #7
    JustMe2009
    (female)

JustMe2009 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by avisgt View Post
    Hi,
    I have chronic dry eyes symtoms and I am told the lasek will correct the problem..I also have astigmatism.

thanks

Avis
    That's actually one of the CONTRAindications against lasik. It will be worse after. What doctor told you THAT?

Old 02-11-2009, 10:03 PM   #8
    JustMe2009
    (female)

JustMe2009 HB User

WHY would any doctor perform lasik KNOWING you had dry enough eyes before, that CONTACTS were uncomfortable?! oy!
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Madsmom2008 View Post
    I had a prob with dry eyes before my surgery which made wearing contacts a pain. After the surgery my eyes are so dry now, that I keep a bottle of Systane eye drops on my night stand and use them before I even think of getting out of bed in the morn. These drops are more viscus than normal drops and work wonders for me. Good luck!

Closed Thread