It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Anxiety and thyroid (and tinnitus)

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-06-2008, 10:20 AM   #1
    ancdc
    (female)

ancdc HB User
    Anxiety and thyroid (and tinnitus)

Hi,

I was diagnosed with Generalized Anxiety Disorder around 2003. I was having a specific anxiety related problem at the time (kind of a compulsive symptom) and was put on Lexapro. I'm not sure why, but I stopped taking the Lexapro on my own and seemed to handle my symptom fine since then. However, I have noticed that my anxiety has become greater of the recent year or so - much great - to the point of having 2 or 3 panic attacks and generally being anxious all the time about different things. I think my husband thinks I am crazy.

My question is this ----- can anxiety be related to hypothyroidism? I've noticed a few people here have stated that they have thyroid disorder and I'm wondering if this is a commonly associated pair of issues. I am on Levoxyl now, but switching to Armour soon. I was on Cytomel this summer and it really really spiked my anxiety.

Any wisdom about anxiety and thyroid is appreciated.

(Also, I recently started having tinnitus and that sent my anxiety reeling - the biggest problem is, though, that the more anxious I get, the worse my tinnitus gets - a bad cycle.)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-06-2008, 11:07 AM   #2
    Natty44
    Inactive
    (female)

Natty44 HB User
    Re: Anxiety and thyroid (and tinnitus)

I am also hypothyroid and have severe anxiety and am on Lexapro but it is not helping. I went to the endocrinologist last week for a second opinion - while my TSH is "within normal limits" of being something like 4.6, he said they like to see the levels closer to 2 - so he increased my Synthroid to 175 mcg. As far as anxiety, he didn't really say whether the two are related but I have read where it is. I have an apt with my internist tomorrow to talk about the Lexapro and why it's not making me feel better - I have been on it almost 6 weeks. Did it help you when you were taking it?

Old 10-06-2008, 05:36 PM   #3
    ymoore86
    (female)

ymoore86 HB User

I also have thryoid problems with severe anxiety.
    I was actually HYPER thryoid when i first got diagnosed with my panic disorder.(diagnosed within weeks of each other)
    i was on paxil for 4 years then switched to lexapro and went off it by myself thinking i was fine also.
    and i was until i learned my thyroid went VERY hypo and i guess it scared my anxiety right back into me
    but i honestly do think that thyroid problems and anxeity are connected in some way.
    I wonder if the worse off your TSH level the worse off your anxiety?

Last edited by ymoore86; 10-06-2008 at 05:39 PM.

Old 10-07-2008, 07:57 PM   #4
    Heckofagal
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Heckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB User

I never had anxiety issues until I was diagnosed hypothyroid 2 years ago. At that time my anxiety was through the roof and shortly after that I think I had my first panic attack. Doc gave me Lexapro but I did not take it as one of my worst symptoms was dizziness and I read that Lexapro could cause dizziness. Dizziness and anxiety both improved when I get my thyroid at my OPTIMUM (not just in range) levels.

Closed Thread