It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Makeup that is ok for acne

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-30-2003, 01:23 PM   #1
    colleenredmond

colleenredmond HB User
    Post Makeup that is ok for acne

My derm was totally against makeup of any kind for acne, and I know why. See this oil free stuff is a bunch of bull cause the FDA can approve something as oil free or non comedagenic if 70% of it's ingredients is ok. So that 30% can really mess you up. He over the past year looked at 400 foundations and made up this list of ok foundations. Sad but out of the 400 that claimed to be oil free this is the only that came up. I bought all of them to see what they are like and will tell you what I thought.

Clinque-
    True Matte Powder-I thought it was ok definately control shine but my skin flakes from meds so probably not a good thing for some people. Not my favorite but definately good
    Advanced Concealer-WOW a concelear ok for acne, will dab it all over my face now

Estee Lauder-
    Double Matte Oil Control and Foundation- LOVE THIS STUFF COVERS GREAT!!! Just make sure you are moisturized though

Maybelline-
    Shine Free Pressed Powder- Not great coverage but helps with oil, which I don't need my skin is not oily. A good thing to try if you have oily skin.

Neutrogena-
    Skin clearing foundation, powder and compact foundation- Powder it's ok but afraid to use it cause it does have BHA .5% in it. Does dry out skin but for some that can be ok. Compact foundation is ok but don't like the coverage. For the price it's ok.

Cover girl-
    Fresh look foundation-Don't like the coverage seems to make my zits more noticable by looking too cacky and dry. Redness is still there. Go figure.

Revlon-
    New Complexion oil Free and Powder Foundation- HUH is there any makeup on my face, Sorry does NOT COVER. Probably good if you DON"T HAVE Zits to cover and none of here have that so this stuff sucks.

Almay-
    Skin Stays clean foundation- Best of what is in the drugstore. Ok but not great coverage
    Pore Minimizing Compact- Again best in a drugstore. Better coverage I think then foundation that is above
    Clear Complexion Foundation/Powder Compact- Best natural coverage of any of them I think. Nice to have it be a foundation/powder. For drugstore stuff this is good.
    KEEP IN MIND ALL ABOVE IS MEDICATED WITH .5 BHA.

Oil of Olay-
    Shine Control Foundation- Ok I guess not great. Not horrible.

Lancome-
    Maquicontrol Foundation- THIS STUFF ROCKS. Good coverage. Wish it was more moisturizing.
    Photgenic Pressed and Loose- LOVE THE PRESSED, loose is good too.

Presrptives-
    Magic, Liquid Powder- Get the one that gets rid of red. This is the BEST loose Powder for acne. Cuts back the redness.

Jane Iredale-
    Amazing Base. This is a mineral makeup that works really good for oily skin. Looks like cr#$ if you have dry skin from acne meds but BEAUTIFUL on oily. Covers so nice my fiance' used it and he looked like no makeup was on his face and he was covering a rash. Zinc is one of the main ingredients and is good for acne. Just looks dry on me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-30-2003, 01:49 PM   #2
    lionna

lionna HB User
    Exclamation

i tried this once at a friend's house, and ran out the next day to get some for myself.. it covers better than anything i have yet tried, plus it had vitamins, sulfur, is noncomodogenic, oil-free and has never caused me to break out yet in three years.. the brand is 'Laura Mercier' which is available at Nordstrom's and online.. i use the oil free foundation in blush ivory.. it cuts the makeup application time in half since it covers so well.. literally two pumps full, then dab all over face.. everything is covered!

good luck to all..!

Old 09-30-2003, 02:14 PM   #3
    mmmelicious

mmmelicious HB User
    Yes Yes Yes! Laura Mercier Rules! Expensive, but lasts forever and what a great texture. It actually ends up costing less than drug store brands in the end.

I have put posts about the powder all over this board as well. It makes the skin's texture look natural because it is ground super super fine. I think guys could even get away with using it to control oil!

[This message has been edited by mmmelicious (edited 09-30-2003).]

Old 09-30-2003, 03:55 PM   #4
    lionna

lionna HB User
    ^^ i actually thought the same thing.. i payed 38$ for the foundation, which i thought was reasonable considering how much easier it makes my life.. it does last a long time, too, since it covers so well you only need a little each time..

good luck to all of us.. !

Old 09-30-2003, 04:20 PM   #5
    AcneFree

AcneFree HB User
    Mineral makeup is the best to use when you have acne - look for Jane Iredale or Amoraleigh products - do a web search. They're very good.

Old 09-30-2003, 11:07 PM   #6
    Chelsi doll

Chelsi doll HB User
    mineral makeup makes me break out, and i RARELY break out from stuff i put on my skin.

Old 10-01-2003, 08:33 AM   #7
    KimRick
    Inactive

KimRick HB User
    Question

Is Laura Mercier products also mineral products? Is it ok for the skin?

Old 10-01-2003, 11:18 AM   #8
    jen56

jen56 HB User
    Just thought I would let you know that Lancome is discontinuing the maquicontrol.....I think i am gonna cry...

THis stuff does rock......or did?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 10-01-2003, 11:23 AM   #9
    jagdm27
    Inactive

jagdm27 HB User
    Has anyone tried Dermablend by Vichey? My derm recommended that to me and told me it would be good for covering up my scars as well as a foundation?
    Any input would be greatly appreciated!!

Old 10-01-2003, 12:18 PM   #10
    mmmelicious

mmmelicious HB User
    Dermablend covers well but I don't like the texture as much as some of the expensive brands mentioned above. I use it as a good spot cover over other foundation.

Old 10-01-2003, 12:31 PM   #11
    mmmelicious

mmmelicious HB User
    Laura Mercier is not Mineral make-up. It does have sulfer in it though which helps acne. However, all make-up with sulfur has a smell to it and that's the only thing I don't like. But I only use it on the weekends and don't mind.

Mercier is known in the business for it's covering power. They put more pigment in their products than anyone else, therefore better coverage.

I tried their under eye cover but it was too dry for me. The only thing I have found for the under eye so for is Cover Girl's concealer stick. Does anyone else know a good one for dry uner eye circles?

Old 10-01-2003, 12:53 PM   #12
    sassykitten74
    (female)

sassykitten74 HB User
    CHELSI what kind of mineral makeup did you use that made you break out? Different 1s have some different ingredients that could work for you.

I personally use aromaleigh mineral makeup and it works great. I have dry skin and it works fine for me.

Old 10-01-2003, 01:10 PM   #13
    jagdm27
    Inactive

jagdm27 HB User
    Mmmelicious,so would you suggest the Laura Mercier instead? And do you like the coverage? Does it cover acne scars really well? That is my main concern.

Old 10-01-2003, 04:41 PM   #14
    wicketglen7

wicketglen7 HB User
    I just bought the Jane iredale pressed powder today along with the handi and the eyeshadow brush. It cost me 98 dollars for all 3 of these things! But let me tell you, the coverage that I get from the JI is amazing! And it doesn't look caked on and I feel like I am not wearing makeup! I can't believe it, it's fabulous!
    Does anyone know how long it really lasts? I hope a while since it is 43 bucks.

Old 10-01-2003, 07:57 PM   #15
    lionna

lionna HB User
    jagdm27.. it is perfect on scars.. it covers better than anything i have ever used.. like i said, it cuts makeup application time in half because you dont really even need concealer.. i only need it for actual pimples, which i hope i will finally be rid of soon.. i tried Laura Mericer on a fluke.. then i ran out and bought some for myself.. awesome stuff.. good luck..

Closed Thread