It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Get your ferritin up FAST

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-15-2008, 02:03 PM   #1
    webdiva
    Inactive
    (female)

webdiva HB User
    Get your ferritin up FAST

In Feb'08 my ferritin was 29. I believe it went quite a bit lower in subsequent months due to heavy cycles thereafter.

After 1 month on Repliva (prescription iron), Yellow Dock, and Dandelion, my ferritin now tests at 136!! The nurse practitioner can't believe it! I attribute it to 75% Yellow dock and the remaining 25% to Repliva and Dandelion. Hope this helps you get your iron up for still MORE regrowth!!

Now for me, it's the waiting game - have to sustain this for 3 mos. to see benefit.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-15-2008, 02:31 PM   #2
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User
    Re: Get your ferritin up FAST

Congrats on those numbers! What is Yellow Dock? FLFLOWERGIRL

Last edited by FLFLOWERGIRL; 08-15-2008 at 02:32 PM.

Old 08-15-2008, 08:11 PM   #3
    beautyofspeed
    (female)

beautyofspeed HB User

Is the Yellow Dock for the constipation from the Repliva?

Old 08-16-2008, 07:53 PM   #4
    webdiva
    Inactive
    (female)

webdiva HB User

Yellow dock works with an unknown mechanism. It's believed to raise ferritin QUICKLY but encouraging the liver to release it's iron reserves. It's good stuff. After only 2 weeks on it, I'm off!!

web_diva

Old 08-19-2008, 12:50 AM   #5
    Audrey-B
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

I wonder whether it would work that fast for everybody?

I was on a series of iron injections for 5 weeks and my ferretin only went up a tiny bit. I figured if straight iron into my system wasn't going to get my ferretin to rocket upwards then nothing else would.

Old 08-20-2008, 05:44 PM   #6
    webdiva
    Inactive
    (female)

webdiva HB User

Audrey, I think Yellow Dock and Repliva (has Folic acid in it) would be worth a try. I took them with OJ and Lysine.

Some pregnant women try Yellow Dock as a last resort to avoid hospitalization for low iron and the complications it can bring.

Old 08-21-2008, 04:43 AM   #7
    Audrey-B
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

I don't need the extra folic acid as mine always comes up very high on all my blood tests as does my B12. It's only my iron, vitamin D and iodine which appear to be affected and all these are linked to my thyroid condition. Even if something did get my ferretin high, i would be on it forever as the moment i stop taking an iron supplement my ferretin begins dropping again. There are a heap of people in my situation over on the thyroid board and no matter what they take it ends up being a never ending battle to get that ferretin moving and it's a common thing for people with thyroid issues.

Old 08-22-2008, 06:28 PM   #8
    webdiva
    Inactive
    (female)

webdiva HB User

Oh gosh. Sounds like Repliva may not be the thing for you then.

So what do they tell you to do? Not even try?

Old 08-25-2008, 05:51 PM   #9
    Audrey-B
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I am on iron, vitamin D and iodine supplements to keep my levels from falling. I have pushed my ferretin up to 61, but it took 2 years and that was on very high powdered iron supplement specially formulated by my doctor's chemist for people who have difficulty raising their ferretin.

I'm on thyroid meds as well as digestive enzymes to help with protein digestion and this should help once everything begins working and gets back to where it ought to be. The thing is that these sorts of illnesses are with you for life and so are a lot of the supplements.

Low iron or anemia isn't just a matter of taking a supplement. It depends what your particular low iron/anemia is a symptom of. In my case it's a thyroid symptom.

Old 08-25-2008, 07:08 PM   #10
    littleopihi
    (female)

littleopihi HB User

webdiva can you please tell me how much yellow dock you were taking to get your ferritin up? and were you taking it at the same time you were taking your iron? i'm trying to figure out a schedule of my vitamins... thanks bunches!

Old 09-02-2008, 05:24 PM   #11
    webdiva
    Inactive
    (female)

webdiva HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by littleopihi View Post
    webdiva can you please tell me how much yellow dock you were taking to get your ferritin up? and were you taking it at the same time you were taking your iron? i'm trying to figure out a schedule of my vitamins... thanks bunches!
    I threw the bottle out so I can't tell you dosages. I picked it up at Whole Foods (also avail. online) and took it as directed. It is not for long term use. I think they say take it for no more than a month. I started it like a week or two before my blood draw and then was so pleased with the results, I stopped right away. I may make it part of a yearly regiment if iron proves difficult to keep up. Good luck!

Old 10-03-2008, 05:53 PM   #12
    webdiva
    Inactive
    (female)

webdiva HB User

Audrey,

I believe this could REALLY help you. Did you know iodine/iodide is the MASTER hormone regulator including thyroid hormones? Did you know thyroid problems were treated successfully back in the day with iodine/iodide alone?

[url]http://www.health-science-spirit.com/iodine.html[/url] long but worth the read
    [url]http://www.lewrockwell.com/miller/miller20.html[/url] a shorter one
    [url]http://curezone.com/ig/i.asp?i=21726[/url] A long but WORTHWHILE listen

Lugol's is doing fabulous things for me! My sheds are WAY down and my basals are up to normal!!

Old 10-05-2008, 02:08 PM   #13
    Audrey-B
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Thanks Webdiva, my Trichologist tested my iodine last year and found me to be deficient and i took a course of liquid iodine and a couple of months or so after that is when i noticed my shedding had stopped for an entire month. After that my shedding began again and my iodine was not looked at and i didn't notice the link till much later. By that stage i was found to have Hashimoto's and my new doctor retested my iodine and found me to be low again. He had me do a 24hr iodine load test and the lab determine how much iodine i was losing in a 24hr period.

Now i'm on one drop of iodine per day and i'm on thyroid meds too. I'm still taking Ferro-Grad C for my iron, which is now up to 78. I lose some hair each time i wash it, but i feel i'm losing more 'normal' amounts of hair as opposed to scary amounts. I've also noticed my menstrual cycles appear to be self correcting. My overall health is so much better now.

Not sure which supplements/meds have helped what, but i'd say lifting my iron and correcting my adrenals and my thyroid has been a big help. I don't doubt that the iodine was a big help too as was correcting my low vitamin D and the addition of selenium to my daily supplements.

I wouldn't go self supplementing with iodine or selenium without having tests done first to determine deficiency as too much of certain supplements can cause problems too.

Old 10-06-2008, 06:07 PM   #14
    webdiva
    Inactive
    (female)

webdiva HB User

Audrey-B,

Glad to hear of your continued success in regaining your health! I only take 200 mg of Selenium per day which is within the RDA. Iodine is VERY safe to use - please listen to the audio file where the 2 doctors discuss risks/benefits!!

There is evidence to suggest that those areas of the country where ppl don't consume much iodine/iodide have higher incidences of ALL TYPES of thyroid problems and evidence that thyroid meds = extremely high breast cancer risk! You may be able to control your Hashimoto's by iodine/iodide alone and decrease your risk. The breasts need large amounts of iodine/iodide to remain healthy (as do the ovaries).

Hope you'll take a listen and let me know what you think...

Old 10-10-2008, 04:43 AM   #15
    Audrey-B
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hi Webdiva - yes, my doctor has told me already that lack of iodine can lead to thyroid problems. I will definitely look up the information regarding the iodine as i find that very interesting.

Good to hear your shedding has minimised. It's always a relief to see less and less hair loss. I was worried i would lose the lot at one point. I do wonder at times whether my hair will ever return to it's old self. At least the shedding is reasonable for me now. Wish i'd had the medical help back in 2001 which i have now. Oh well, better late than never i guess

Thanks again for the information/links. I've been in the middle of house moving so haven't had time to get on my computer much. Will check it out once things have settled.

Closed Thread