It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Wondering if it's anxiety?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-07-2008, 02:54 PM   #1
    RLK77
    (female)

RLK77 HB User
    Wondering if it's anxiety?

I'm new to all of this but I'll try to briefly explain my story.

This started for me the end of July. I am in the teaching profession and spent the summer off (without pay- because I'm a sub) so I had a lot of free time on my hands. I tried to keep myself busy but became bored and worried about not having a paycheck for roughly three months because I couldn't find only summer help. Anyway, for about two days my chest began to feel a bit tight and I felt a little shortness of breath- but I chalked it up to allergies or something like that. I was watching tv and I felt a muscle twitch where my ribs meet (around the heart area). And being a true hypocondriac I immediately thought it was my heart. For the next five days my chest was tight (like that rubber band feeling), shortness of breath, some hot/cold flashes, a lot of muscle twitching everywhere, was constantly worried and thinking about my heart, and my pulse was very very high... at one point it was 100 resting. I would also get tingling in my fingers and wouldn't move off the couch because I was afraid if I moved too much I would have a heartattack. So after day 5 of this I went to my doctor... she did an ekg, complete bloodwork, and a chest xray.. everything fine- not even high blood pressure. By the way, I'm a 25 year old female, not over weight and reletively healthy. So she basically said I was fine. Since then I have good times and bad. If I feel something weird in my chest then it starts all over again and lasts for days or weeks. Especially that feeling in my chest where it feels like I'm falling or the wind got knocked out of me... that seems to happen out of nowhere. I also have a cough when I have what I think are anxiety attacks, which my mom just calls my "nervous cough" and sometimes right before I fall asleep I get that falling feeling and get jolted awake. Sometimes I get a "lump" in my throat and feel jumpy about things when I never was before. I don't get all of these symptoms each time, probably have 3 or 4 at a time. My brother was diagnosed with anxiety and is on xanax and my mom went through something like this a few years ago (fast heartbeat) and she was hospitilized but nothing was wrong. The health anxiety side of me wants to get more tests done just to be sure but being just a substitute I don't have good insurance and would have to pay for it myself. I also believe it's just anxiety and don't want to make a big deal out of it like I do for every other health scare. I just wanted to know what all of you thought so I can stop worrying- any of the same symptoms?

Thanks for all your help!

Last edited by RLK77; 10-07-2008 at 03:06 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-07-2008, 08:38 PM   #2
    ymoore86
    (female)

ymoore86 HB User
    Re: Wondering if it's anxiety?

well having chest tightness is an anxiety symptom but honestly the list is soooo long for anxiety symptoms and there are real heath problems out there with the same symptoms.
    i guess the only reason i know my symptoms are anxiety is because ive had them for so long and when i first started getting anxiety i did get alot of test done which all came back normal.
    by all means if you think you have something wrong with you i would get them checked out.
    your symptoms do sound like anxiety also. common anxiety symptoms are chest pressure and or pain and being short of breathe. they can last for days also.

Old 10-08-2008, 07:52 AM   #3
    RLK77
    (female)

RLK77 HB User

The problem with me is that when I think I have something wrong, I think about it so much I develop symptoms. It's happened for some of the other things that I thought I had. My mind just kind of stays in the zone of thinking that somethings wrong. Like I said, I don't have all of those symptoms at the same time. But they are the symptoms I've had since it all started. The minute I feel something weird, it all starts again. Kind of depressing, especially when I'm having a good day.

Old 10-08-2008, 11:11 AM   #4
    alefever26
    (female)

alefever26 HB User

i have all those symptoms.. and i'm the same way, i obsess over health problems that i begin to hae symptoms of everything.. i'm especially worried about that weird chest feeling/cough. i have it too.. it feels like suddenly get punched in the gut, takes the wind out of me, but also makes likea burning feeling in the back of my throat or something. ?? i dunno, is weird.. then i feel like i'm gonna pass out, alot!! i've been worried about lung cancer because my mom died from it last year, so, of ourse i wen tto the doc with my symptoms and told her i think i have lung cancer.. she says i dont.. but for almost a year now, i can hear noise deep in my chest when i breathe real deep, especially first thing in the morning.. i dont know if its fluid or just a noise, like something rubbing. i just dont know.. my doc doesnt hear it. and i had a complete physical she says i'm still fine.. but allllll of these symptoms combined, makes me sure i am dying.. btw i have been going through this for about 8 yrs now.. i'm 32, female, normal healthy weight/thin.. i've been obsessed with my heart/chest since i was 23..

Old 10-08-2008, 01:54 PM   #5
    RLK77
    (female)

RLK77 HB User

Thanks for the response! And sorry to hear about your mom.

I feel like its been forever since I've had these symptoms and it's only been a little over three months- yet years for you and many others... Don't know if I can do it! I've tried vitamins that have lots of B and rosea root (i think), etc. it seems like they are helping a little. but then something happens, and I'm down all over again. I'm just afraid my hearts going to just stop one day. But, ekg, chest xray, bloodwork is all fine. I'm just a HUGE worry wart and this is one more thing to worry about.

Old 10-09-2008, 06:09 AM   #6
    Natty44
    Inactive
    (female)

Natty44 HB User

hi Alefever - you and I are twins!! I totally obsess over my health 24/7 - I hate it!! Any disease or illness I think about I feel like I have. I also feel lightheaded and like I will pass out alot. However, I also have a feeling of fluid in my left lung and I will feel something moving around and hear it at different times. I did go to a walk in clinic in July and that doctor heard "something" so he sent me to the hospital for a chest x-ray - they also heard "something" however, the x-ray was clear so they could never explain the noise. I've been to several doctors since and they have heard nothing and also had 2 additional chest x-rays since July and nothing shows up - but I hear something!! In fact, I was at my parents last weekend and took a stethascope (my mom's a nurse) and listened to my lung and I heard it!! Then my uncle came over an hour later - who's a doctor and he listened and of course the sound wasn't there anymore. It's very frustrating. Are you taking anything for your anxiety? I take 5 ML of Lexapro for 6 weeks now, however, it hasn't helped so the doc upped my dose to 10 ML. Hang in there! I'm 45 and had my first anxiety attack in my teens then it got really bad after the birth of my second child 18 years ago and I've been struggling with it ever since.

Last edited by Natty44; 10-09-2008 at 06:10 AM.

Old 10-09-2008, 10:39 AM   #7
    alefever26
    (female)

alefever26 HB User

wow natty, we ARE twins... i have that fluid sound. i hear it all the time. sometimes i will just turn my body and hear it.. its weird.. well, at least you've had chest xrays to rule anything out. i havent. my doc just says she doesnt hear it and doesnt worry about it... she is a great doc!! she is never quick to pass all my symptoms off as anxiety and always runs tests on me. so, thats good... but i'm like you also, i had anxiety as a kid, i would lay in bed at night with my hand on my chest or my pulse somewhere and fall asleep like that. just worrying my heart would stop. i remember doing that when i was 8!! anyway, my anxiety pretty much went away through high school, then got real bad again after i had my second child at 23.. that was 9 years ago.. since then its been CO
    NSTANT heart palpiations, or dizziness of some sort, chest pains, etc. etc. etc.. the paxil did make me alot better but these symptoms have never completely gone away. lately my eyes feel like they just have trouble focusing like i'm going cross eyed. sometimes when iturn my head its like the room is moving. i have alot of weird dizzy feelings.

Old 10-09-2008, 10:55 AM   #8
    Natty44
    Inactive
    (female)

Natty44 HB User

Yes! I will turn my body and hear a rush of something which sounds like fluid to me!! how strange right?? Also, like you, my anxiety went away in high school and college and came back at 27 years of age - after my second child. I am constantly checking my pulse too on my neck - it's crazy! I have been to the cardiologist and had an Echo which shows I have PACs - premature atrial contractions - which just means palpitations, but it still scares me when my heart skips or flutters. I will have a hard time adjusting with my eyes too however, I'm on the computer all day so maybe that's why and I do wear contacts. I just had my eyes checked and they were fine. Who knows - I do believe that anxiety creates so many weird symptoms but when it's happening it's very scary and you think you are dying - I also have the dizziness and feeling of being of being off balance which is a miserable symptom. Oh my - I'm sorry you are going through this. This board does help in knowing the others struggle with these things too.
    Take care,

Diane

Old 10-10-2008, 03:03 PM   #9
    RLK77
    (female)

RLK77 HB User

I had that sound for a few weeks, but I was sick with a chest cold and it went away after antibiotics.

Old 10-11-2008, 07:20 AM   #10
    RLK77
    (female)

RLK77 HB User

I had a pretty bad night last night. I got jolted awake last night by what I thought was my heart fluttering quite a bit but it very well could have just been a muscle around my stomache area because once I was able to concentrate on what was going on it went away. No more fluttering, but my mind wouldn't let me sleep even though I was SO tired. Everytime I was close to sleep my body would kind of jump and wake me (had that scared feeling in my body) and then I would have tingling in my fingers and jaw area and be hot/cold. That lasted for quite a few hours until finally I went to sleep. My anxiety was pretty good all week. Anyone else have that before?

Old 10-11-2008, 09:35 AM   #11
    alefever26
    (female)

alefever26 HB User

oh yah .. i have nights where i'm jolted awake every few minutes, all night long. i'll get like a head pressure, a sort of rush, that will jolt me awake and keep happening. then i'll finally fall asleep with hot/cold flashes, chills, shaking. its very scary.. a week ago was the last time i had that. and before that, it had been many months.. so ever since then, i' dealing with alot of weird head feelings/rushes/pressure, dizziness.

Closed Thread