It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• How long did the results of your Iron IV last?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-13-2008, 05:01 PM   #1
    hannahhannah57
    (female)

hannahhannah57 HB User
    How long did the results of your Iron IV last?

Hello all, I have not posted in a while because I have felt so much better after my iron IV in March. Since then I had surgery in August for endometriosis, before my surgery they were very happy with my HGB, it was up to a 12. However two people have commented within the last week that I am looking pale like I did at the beginning of the year when I was so anemic. I have noticed that I am very tired again and have no energy.
    I may be paranoid and truly may be exhausted like everybody gets sometimes..but
    How long should IV iron last, I hate to go back to the doctor and say please check my HGB, I dont want them to think I am crazy. Is there anyway it could be low again this soon?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-13-2008, 05:24 PM   #2
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User
    Re: How long did the results of your Iron IV last?

hannahhannah57--How long IV iron takes to deplete would be different for each person as an individual, depending on the reason(s) for iron loss. If you had surgery to correct this matter then you shouldn't have a problem now unless that was not the only reason for your anemia. Sometimes it is not so simple and there is more than one reason for anemia. I corrected my problem, I thought, with an ablation but I still had a problem with a low ferritin. For me it may be due to malabsorption of iron due from long-term PPI use.

You may just be exhausted, I know it feels just the same as a low ferritin for me and I thought I was crazy with the idea of the ferritin going down for a long time. However, each time they did a check my numbers were great! So, you do need a ferritin check, it is in order. How long has it been since you have had labs done? Keep us posted. FLFLOWERGIRL

Closed Thread